Banter The No Dazzlering Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I found Kallis a pretty boring player to watch to be honest. He was no doubt the best All-rounder of our generation, with an argument for all time, and an amazing player. Very tough player who eeked every bit of talent out of himself. But I just found him boring to watch for some reason- bit of an enigma.

Chopra's Thoughts

With the mark set at 1000 runs and 100 wickets minimum there are literally only Sobers, Kallis and Greig (40.43) who averaged over 40.

I suggest that indicates it is incredibly difficult to bowl at test standard and be a formidable batsman.

Flat out freaks.

I know it's a long way to go, but even Cameron Green who most are hailing as the possible next generational Test all rounder is 'only' averaging 35 with both bat and ball (of course, small sample size at the moment).

With the rise of the short form game, I think we may never get an all rounder like a Kallis again.

drphil-laugh.gif

I think Sobers has them all covered (personally) but Kallis is right in the discussion for best of the rest of the all-rounders with Wasim, Botham, Miller, Jadeja (sick) et al. He was just a stodgy kind of player to watch.

Stolen from Reddit somewhere:

View attachment 2106563

Imran Khan missing from that graph? Should be near Keith Miller.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know it's a long way to go, but even Cameron Green who most are hailing as the possible next generational Test all rounder is 'only' averaging 35 with both bat and ball (of course, small sample size at the moment).

With the rise of the short form game, I think we may never get an all rounder like a Kallis again.

Cam Green will definitely average over 40 with the bat if he stays at 4. Not sure his bowling average will improve too much unless he can pry a newer ball out of the hands of the big 3.

Cam Green will definitely average over 40 with the bat if he stays at 4. Not sure his bowling average will improve too much unless he can pry a newer ball out of the hands of the big 3.

Also needs Pat Cummins to stop using Green to come on and bowl short trying to get blokes out on the hook which usually just concedes runs

His name is literally underneath Miller on that graph. It's very obscured but I'm certain that would be Imran Kahn.

Ah yes. I missed that, looking on my phone. Anyway, I’d say those two have excellent claims to be the best pure all-rounders. Would definitely have been selected for either discipline. Kallis wouldn’t, and neither would Sobers if the West Indies of his era had a stronger bowling line-up.

Kallis in terms of longevity and his all round ability is miles ahead of others from a statistical standpoint.

The only one who truly stands above him is Sobers. Could do anything. Bowl multiple forms of spin, swing, upper medium pace, an outstanding batsman and a great captain as well.

Guys like Khan and Botham had a couple of years where their bowling was at a level that was as good as anyone else in the world and they backed it up with their batting. They had higher peaks than Kallis but didn't sustain it over their careers.

Just a little side edit. Hadlee's bowling as an allrounder pisses all over everyone. For a team that didn't have a huge amount around him in comparison to other strong line ups his bowling was some of the best the game has ever seen. Also had a couple of big years with the bat but overall his numbers as a batsman don't rate. But for the years his batting was good he was astounding.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes. I missed that, looking on my phone. Anyway, I’d say those two have excellent claims to be the best pure all-rounders. Would definitely have been selected for either discipline. Kallis wouldn’t, and neither would Sobers if the West Indies of his era had a stronger bowling line-up.

I've got a feeling (more of a vague memory) that Sobers was selected as a bowler in his first Test. Batted at 9, or thereabouts.

Kallis in terms of longevity and his all round ability is miles ahead of others from a statistical standpoint.

The only one who truly stands above him is Sobers. Could do anything. Bowl multiple forms of spin, swing, upper medium pace, an outstanding batsman and a great captain as well.

Guys like Khan and Botham had a couple of years where their bowling was at a level that was as good as anyone else in the world and they backed it up with their batting. They had higher peaks than Kallis but didn't sustain it over their careers.

Just a little side edit. Hadlee's bowling as an allrounder pisses all over everyone. For a team that didn't have a huge amount around him in comparison to other strong line ups his bowling was some of the best the game has ever seen. Also had a couple of big years with the bat but overall his numbers as a batsman don't rate. But for the years his batting was good he was astounding.
Sobers was before my time so I can't really comment on comparisons which I think is pointless between different generations. Kallis was far and away the best of his and the first picked in a world 11. Completely agree with your comments about Hadlee, couldn't have explained it better.

Sobers was before my time so I can't really comment on comparisons which I think is pointless between different generations. Kallis was far and away the best of his and the first picked in a world 11. Completely agree with your comments about Hadlee, couldn't have explained it better.
Hadlee's bowling stats are comparable to Lillee's. He averaged 5 wickets per Test which is absolutely elite.

Kallis could have easily been selected as third seamer. It's just that SA didn't need to and Kallis provided best value used as an all rounder.

Donald, Pollock, Steyn pretty much overlapped and would make up your first 2 bowlers picked.

Kallis was a better bowler (IMHO) than SA staples like Ntini, Nel and Morkel if SA chose to use him solely as a bowler. He is a million miles ahead of the host of tried and failed 3rd Seamers SA tried in amongst the more settled line ups. The guy regularly bowled high 80mph and even used to to break into the 90mph range in his early career. Sharp enough and with an excellent bumper up his sleeve.

The thing is they could manage the workloads so Kallis could score heavily with the bat and provide super solid service with the ball. Kallis opened the bowling in 7 tests. 16 wickets at a sniff under 24. BBI 5/90. Not earthshaking but pretty bloody solid...while also racking up 475 runs @ 53. His batting form started to taper and on balance they moved Jacques to being a change bowler. Pretty good decision making by the Saffers on reflection.

Watching the hi-lights of the 3rd 20/20 v Scotland made me feel like I was watching a Scorchers game.
7 of 11 from WA 😲
WA back dominating International cricket, good to see 😁😁

Sobers was just a freak.

Kallis best (+ longevity) of the modern era.

I always saw Hadlee as a bowler who could bat a bit better than most. Average of 27 puts him in that regime.
Hadlee as a bowler however... stands up there as one of the greats.

Anyone who can take more than 300 wickets and do it an an average of less than 24 (and be consistent home and away) is one of the greats. And he was 431 @ 22. Not many compare.

If you just looked at best figures for the disciplines, Michael Clarke would have to be the best ever.
Adam Voges behind Bradman on just averages.

1726050695066.png

The point I meant to make with Kallis is that I never rated him up there with the batters he shares a career average with (Ponting, Tendulkar, Dravid etc..)

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter The No Dazzlering Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back