The Official 2010 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How old is Howe?
Not sure why he hasn't been rated by any experts - I know highlights packages can be misleading, but IMO anyone who can take marks like that at any level absolutely has to be looked at closely.
Knows where the goals are, that's for sure. If Kevin Bartlet was 'Hungry', this guy is 'Greedy'.

Heard from a reliable source that we have taken a look at a player called Jack Frost (I shit you not). Played for Sandringham this year. Apparently an extremely athletic player that switches between ruck and full forward.

Can anyone shed some light on this kid?

If Jack Darling manages to get our pick, do you reckon the club would pick him up instead of Smith or Lamb?
hell no, refer to my post earliar on jeremy howe he has more potential than darling and we can take him with pick 69, i'd be ok getting darling or cook or mitchel at pick 27 tho but 17 is for smedts,smith or lamb

hell no, refer to my post earliar on jeremy howe he has more potential than darling and we can take him with pick 69, i'd be ok getting darling or cook or mitchel at pick 27 tho but 17 is for smedts,smith or lamb

People also said Jack Reiwoldt was shit. :p Don't make me search our forum. :p

Heard from a reliable source that we have taken a look at a player called Jack Frost (I shit you not). Played for Sandringham this year. Apparently an extremely athletic player that switches between ruck and full forward.

Can anyone shed some light on this kid?
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ask=DETAIL&articleID=12293922&sectionID=65111

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ask=DETAIL&articleID=13523602&sectionID=56110

Jack Frost was then awarded the Team Acts award, this award was for the player who was attributed the highest total tackles, smothers, spoils and shepards. Throughout the season Frost accumulated 73 tackles, 34 shepards, 38 spoils and 2 smothers totalling 147 team acts, 19 more than anyone else on the team.

Paul Daffy has done his phantom on the AFL website: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105263/default.aspx

He reckons we will get Isaac Smith, Lucas Cook, Brad Harvey and Blayne Wilson

Hmmmm. Dangerous assumption I'm about to make, but if no one else takes Isaac Smith before 17 is he all he is hyped up to be? Seems, when reading, about all the other draft prospects there is a lot of blokes in the same class as Isaac. Would be wrapped to be totally wrong here, in the event we do draft him and he turns out a gun, but I'm unsure whether he's worth our first choice.
I guess we'll find out tomorrow and in the years to come.

Hmmmm. Dangerous assumption I'm about to make, but if no one else takes Isaac Smith before 17 is he all he is hyped up to be? Seems, when reading, about all the other draft prospects there is a lot of blokes in the same class as Isaac. Would be wrapped to be totally wrong here, in the event we do draft him and he turns out a gun, but I'm unsure whether he's worth our first choice.
Who knows at this stage. If we pass on Smith and end up with one of Pitt, Lamb or Smedts I'd be pretty happy regardless. Each of those three seem to be good long term prospects. But yeah, tomoz all will be revealed. Lice has done a very good job in the past so I'm pretty sure we will get at least 2 good players tomorrow. And with Richardson on board already, I reckon we will be pretty happy with this crop, whoever the two early selections may be.

From Paul Daffey's Phantom:

17. NORTH MELBOURNE - Isaac Smith
Height: 187cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 30/12/88
Club: North Ballarat Roosters (Vic)
Draft range: 15-25
Smith is a 21-year-old stringbean wingman with untapped ability. He started 2010 with Ballarat league club Redan and ended it a member of North Ballarat's VFL premiership team. North has plenty of in-and-under midfielders with grunt. They need a midfielder with pace and class.

27. NORTH MELBOURNE - Lucas Cook (compensation)
Height:
196cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 03/03/92
Club: North Ballarat Rebels (Vic)
Draft range: 25-35
Key forward with a clean pair of hands whose endurance was indicated by his top-10 finish (10.34) in the three-kilometre time-trial at the combine. He also finished in the top 10 in the kicking drill. Cook would have been a monty for the top 20 before his form fell away in the second half of the under-18 championships. He'll build up and become more durable.

69. NORTH MELBOURNE - Brad Harvey
Height: 185cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 16/04/92
Club: Eastern Ranges (Vic)
Draft range: 50-rookie
Harvey's modest season in the TAC Cup was eclipsed when he starred at the draft combine, showing enough speed and strength to make recruiters sit up. He finished second in the 20-metre sprint (an exceptional 2.78 seconds), equal first in the running vertical jump (88cm) and first in the standing vertical jump (75cm). He'll be drafted on athletic ability.

71. NORTH MELBOURNE - Blayne Wilson
Height: 188cm
Weight: 88kg
DOB: 26/01/92
Club: Peel Thunder (WA)
Draft range: 50-rookie
Half-back who takes marks in between shutting down his opponent. All Australian after the 2009 under-18 championships.

Whole Phantom is here...http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105263/default.aspx

So we got a speedy outside winger, a tall forward, an athlete, and a former AA half back flanker looks pretty good to me.

Tough one with smith, he ticks a lot of the boxes, speed, x-factor, outsidish mid. I am just not 100% sure he is a ball magnet or has sublime foot skills.

I think he would be very similar to Wells, I do think we need a ball-magnet outsider who is going to look like getting 30 disposals on a bad day. A lot may be bullshit one-two type disposals but those kind of players (Ablett, Judd, etc) encourage midfield run because they encourage the players around them to work and run and press up.

I think Smith would be a great get at 27, but I am not sure he will slide that far given the recent hype.

A lot may be bullshit one-two type disposals but those kind of players (Ablett, Judd, etc) encourage midfield run because they encourage the players around them to work and run and press up.
Who is the Ablett, Judd type player you're looking for us to draft at pick 17? :confused: :p Whoever they are, let's grab 'em! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is the Ablett, Judd type player you're looking for us to draft at pick 17? :confused: :p Whoever they are, let's grab 'em! :thumbsu:

I mean style of play, guys who get a lot of the ball, know where to be to receive and work hard.

I have no idea who the clubs ahead of us are going to pick so I don't know who will be around at 17.

People also said Jack Reiwoldt was shit. :p Don't make me search our forum. :p

No need. I can vouch for you Tas. I too liked the way Jack went about it in the early days.

"They" (BF experts, but not necessarily the same ones) also said the same thing about Jordan Lewis. Not 'a shit bloke' for his incident with Pratty, but concerning his football ability.

To avoid any confusion on the day, the recruiters would normally rate all the players in order (especially the top 30 or so) and Smith would be somewhere on that list.

When pick 17 comes around, if any of the players we rate as being above Smith are still there (eg. Pitt) we would take them. It should be as simple as that.

Same rules should probably apply for pick 27. For our two late picks we don't necessarily need a system - we'll just see who is still available, and will probably have either a kid who has slid down the order in mind, or perhaps have some mature age bloke in mind, should everyone else be gone. In that case we may even decide to upgrade an extra rookie (like Delaney) and take an extra rookie in the December rookie draft.

Tough one with smith, he ticks a lot of the boxes, speed, x-factor, outsidish mid. I am just not 100% sure he is a ball magnet or has sublime foot skills.

I think he would be very similar to Wells, I do think we need a ball-magnet outsider who is going to look like getting 30 disposals on a bad day. A lot may be bullshit one-two type disposals but those kind of players (Ablett, Judd, etc) encourage midfield run because they encourage the players around them to work and run and press up.

I think Smith would be a great get at 27, but I am not sure he will slide that far given the recent hype.

I guess we were missing LA for most of the year, if he gets full injury free season I think he will average close to 30 in that role.

Awesome yes, but if Port go as expected and take Lycett, and we get a free shot at Atley, by Christ I want him.

If we pass on him, I will be devastated.

This is assuming he's available.

I really like the look of this Aaron Young that Sheehan has put in his top 30. I imagine we'll probably be after a KP player with the comp pick but this kid looks very exciting.

Ideally:

17. Best midfielder
27. Best KPP
69. Quick outside mid
71. Ruckman

That Brodie Smith kid looks alright.

Lamb, I. Smith, Cripps and Pitt also look suitable.

Dunno about Harper.

Kinda like the look of Lamb.

Hes a guy who could really excite and kick those team lifting goals. IMO would really round off our forward line nicely (assuming the like of Black and Co continue to develop).

Otherwise take the best mid available and as Basti pointed out best KPP with our second pick. We have a few projects in the KPP department but the jury is still well and truely out on most of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official 2010 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back