Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we're in a strong position. If Tigers don't take Lalor we take O'Sullivan, if they take O'Sullivan we take Lalor. O'Sullivan with his running ability and Lalor's versatility both suit us a lot better than Smith, Draper and Langford. Lalor potentially being a protege to Luke Parker is a mouth watering proposition.

If Richmond want both of these guys then they've got to dance with us. If we're that happy to take them, and we probably are, then we don't need to trade.
Yep and actually the more I think about it the more I want to keep pick 2 and just take Lalor or FOS

This will be our last top 3 pick for a long time

And then a speculative KPF like Stumf at 62

Then upgrade a rookie (teakle/Finnbar) or consider trading in our future second

Yep and actually the more I think about it the more I want to keep pick 2 and just take Lalor or FOS

This will be our last top 3 pick for a long time

And then a speculative KPF like Stumf at 62

Then upgrade a rookie (teakle/Finnbar) or consider trading in our future second
I've long been in the trade down camp but I'm coming around to this. Particularly if we could turn our F2 into someone like Sims or Faull, take Stumpf, Mraz or O'Farrell late and River Stevens as a rookie. An absolute jet, two aggressive and athletic KPPs and through trading and drafting we've added two defensive small forwards.

It is probably more a balanced approach than 6. Tauru, 11. Berry and someone like Urquhart late.

There's a lot of wiggle room in both scenarios if we are smart and I think we do draft nights a lot better than trade week.

If we can't get a better deal, and we do this deal, then a lot of things would have to go right, I'm guessing you mean Jack as Matt should go second round, If we get these two players {It does look at the moment that we will get one of Harry or Alix in this draft unless something special happens} I would be ecstatic, just these two players alone is an "A", without a couple more to come in. Its going to be very very interesting.
If Tigers want Lalor & FOS at 1 & 2 and will only offer 6 & 18, with the Blues keen on FOS at 3, entertaining a trade to bring them up a spot for FOS with 3 & 38 could help us improve the Tigers 6 & 18 to 6 & 11.

Don’t give up pick 2. Certainly don’t give it up for 6,18 type scenario. You just need to look at each draft to see that 90% of the time pick 2 alone is better than two later picks. The Tigers are the ones that will need to offer something worthwhile. If they don’t, take 2 and enjoy watching FOS, Draper or Smith added to an already strong midfield. The Tigers would be silly not to offer something worthwhile if we are sensible and don’t fold too easily.

You will see teams offer F1’s and more for picks between 15-25 in this draft. Watch the Tigers get two F1’s for picks 20 and 24. Pick 2 is worth much more than people are thinking imho. Futures, including ours, are worth much less.

That's a good deal in this draft.
The hype of this draft is out of control. It's a product of there not being a standout tier of players.

This isn't a great draft.

The fact that FOS, Langford and Lalor are getting hyped as top 3 picks says it all. They're maybe picks 8-10 most years.

The hype of this draft is out of control. It's a product of there not being a standout tier of players.

This isn't a great draft.

The fact that FOS, Langford and Lalor are getting hyped as top 3 picks says it all. They're maybe picks 8-10 most years.
This draft is good for its depth, not its top-end. The depth looks incredible.

There's no Dustin or Cotchin in this draft. The first 5 mids are at the Sam Walsh/ Cerra/ Butters level.
Yeah they’re better than Cotchin potentially- smith / Draper looks a like for like - fos and Lalor look dynamic.
You can make do with the slow plodders at 10/11

I think we're in a strong position. If Tigers don't take Lalor we take O'Sullivan, if they take O'Sullivan we take Lalor. O'Sullivan with his running ability and Lalor's versatility both suit us a lot better than Smith, Draper and Langford. Lalor potentially being a protege to Luke Parker is a mouth watering proposition.

If Richmond want both of these guys then they've got to dance with us. If we're that happy to take them, and we probably are, then we don't need to trade.

How come you don’t think Draper’s outside speed wouldn’t suit us?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How come you don’t think Draper’s outside speed wouldn’t suit us?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I need to look into Draper more. My biggest aversion with him is being from SA for obvious reasons. From what I can tell he's a centre-man or nothing though and I think that limits his ability to bring value to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had walked away from the Daniel trade and kept 25, then I could see some merit in staying put at 2 and taking Lalor/FOS. But we desperately need to get some young KPP talent on the list, and if not this draft then when? Based on most of the draft experts opinions there doesn't seem to be a Sheezel/Wardlaw/McKercher level talent at the very top. Trade down for 6 & 18 and draft Tauru & the best available KPP left on the board. And for the love of GOD Brady, do not trade our F1 for magic beans.

You want to get someone from your top tier when you are starting with pick 2.

If someone in our top tier will be there at pick 6 then do a trade back.

Richmond will not take 6+ kids in the draft. They will want pick 1 and 2, they will have

Pick 1,6,10,11,18,20,23,24

Then they may bundle up a few of 18, 20, 23, 24 to get back in the top ten

If they can end up hypothetically with 1,2,8,10 take 4 of the top 10 with 2 of the best kids in the draft. Thats the best case scenario for em. And a ripping draft haul.

Dont for one moment think pick 2 for 6/11 is out of reach by any stretch
2 for 10, 11 & 18?

How would anyone know that?
Well he is factually correct, there is no player named Dustin Martin or Trent Cotchin who has nominated. Whether or not a player at the top end of this draft reaches that level is subjective. Just like my opinion that one frequent poster who is named for a dead French astrologer is a complete knob.

Hilarious to me that people have talked themselves, with the help of the media and Richmond dudes popping in here with their sound “advice”, to take 6+18 for pick 2.
Hope Brady doesn’t cave like this. Long way to go yet. In a month’s time we will be expecting pick 10+50 for pick 2 because bloody Ralphy, or some other Richmond supporter clown in the media, has sold it to us. This is OUR club, no one else’s, hold firm FfS.
Or take the best bloody kid at 2. It’s not like we are going to have to play Daniel at KPF. W Dawson and Chom ain’t nothin players. We have options.

If Daniel and Parker can't help lift us at least to 15th on the ladder next year that would be very depressing. I'm absolutely jonesing for a juicy 5 win season.
And there’s not many good teams - a lot could make finals or finish bottom 4. Looking at *,aints,crows, godees ,suns to name a few

Hilarious to me that people have talked themselves, with the help of the media and Richmond dudes popping in here with their sound “advice”, to take 6+18 for pick 2.
Hope Brady doesn’t cave like this. Long way to go yet. In a month’s time we will be expecting pick 10+50 for pick 2 because bloody Ralphy, or some other Richmond supporter clown in the media, has sold it to us. This is OUR club, no one else’s, hold firm FfS.
Or take the best bloody kid at 2. It’s not like we are going to have to play Daniel at KPF. W Dawson and Chom ain’t nothin players. We have options.
Ok keep pick 2. I don't want to trade 2 or 3 picks for pick 2 anyway.
I think you want to trade it because you could probably get Tauru at pick 6 to 10, so you don't want to use pick 2 on him.
I'd be happy to take 7 picks and trade pick 23 for a future pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back