The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Meesan

I actually think he'll still be on our list at the start of next year.
We all know there's talent there, and that ruckman can take a long time to develop.
If he leaves, it will be because he asks to be traded. If he's happy to stay (which is still the big question), we'll keep him for at least 1 more year. Jericho, Massie, Bode etc. have all been given a last chance under Craig, and I expect Meesen, who has more potential than those three combined, will be too. If Nick Smith can stay on our list for 15 years, we'll keep Meesen for another 1.
But yeah, the question is whether he wants that chance. He doesn't seem to be particularly interested in playing for our club, or playing at all, at least in comparison to some of our more successful recent draftees.
I'm not suggesting that the club wouldn't want to re-sign him, I just have a feeling that he'll ask for a trade back. Remember how long it took to get him to sign on last season? And that was just for one measly year. He's now 4th in the ruck pecking order and the chances of him playing any AFL games this year would be low. The guy is still very young in ruckman terms and he may still become a player. I'm just no so sure that it will be with us.

I don't care if people rate him, I just want to offload a dud and pick up a gun.:D
I find it strange that you seem to rate everyone every other youngster on our list and yet you don’t happen to rate the one with perhaps the most potential. Do you not realise how long ruckmen take to develop or do you expect them to be Dean Cox’s within 12 months? :rolleyes:

Take a look at Hamish McIntosh from the Kangroos. 0 games in his 1st and 2nd years, 1 game in his 3rd, 17 in his 4th and now in his 5th he’s one of the premier young ruckmen in the competition. He was a very high draft pick, like Meesen, and he didn’t start showing what he was capable of until his 4th year.

I find it strange that you seem to rate everyone every other youngster on our list and yet you don’t happen to rate the one with perhaps the most potential. Do you not realise how long ruckmen take to develop or do you expect them to be Dean Cox’s within 12 months? :rolleyes:

Take a look at Hamish McIntosh from the Kangroos. 0 games in his 1st and 2nd years, 1 game in his 3rd, 17 in his 4th and now in his 5th he’s one of the premier young ruckmen in the competition. He was a very high draft pick, like Meesen, and he didn’t start showing what he was capable of until his 4th year.

In most scenarois we cannot lose here.

He could end up as a good KPP. CHB may be his go a la Pittman.

He could end up a very good ruckman - a la Mackinotsh as you say AMER.

We could swap him for a player like Varcoe - a type of player we need and the fact that Geelong need another ruckman - giving both sides a win win situation.

We could swap him for a player like Varcoe - a type of player we need and the fact that Geelong need another ruckman - giving both sides a win win situation.
I would prefer to keep him thanks.

I rate the kid highly and I think he is being picked on because he hasn't come on as quickly as Maric has and possibly Griffin.

This is Meesen's 2nd medial strain since he got here. He took a big step in development from year 1 to year 2 and the injury has robbed him of some valuable development time this year but I am confident in saying that he will be a better player than Maric down the track. Meesen has tremendous ruck potential

I rate the kid highly and I think he is being picked on because he hasn't come on as quickly as Maric has and possibly Griffin.

This is Meesen's 2nd medial strain since he got here. He took a big step in development from year 1 to year 2 and the injury has robbed him of some valuable development time this year but I am confident in saying that he will be a better player than Maric down the track. Meesen has tremendous ruck potential

It just shows the importance of recruiting good quality talls.

Even if you have too many you can trade them away to get other players you need down the track. They tend to keep their value unless they are absolute duds.

It just shows the importance of recruiting good quality talls.

Even if you have too many you can trade them away to get other players you need down the track. They tend to keep their value unless they are absolute duds.
While I don't think we have a hell of a lot of trad bait, I do think that we have a joker up our sleeve with having so many good young ruck prospects. Maric, Meesen, Griffin and Tippett is 4 quality young ruck prospects and on the trade market you there will always be a team willing to pay more than they are currently worth to get them.

So when or if the oppurtunity arises to trade for a gun key forward, you can include 1 of these guys and still not feel the loss because you have 3 quality ruckmen left.

Port did a similar thing with Brooks. St Kilda badly needed a ruckman and gave up their 1st and 2nd round draft pick. Port used their first round pick to pick up Salopek (at the time a concesus top 3 pick and a gun bottom age midfielder) and packaged St. Kilda's other pick with their 1st round pick to Kangaroos for Byron Pickett (Another steal trade at the time).

Port made out like bandits from that trade. Also pick 18 for Barnaby French. Ruckman always hold their value unless they are genuine duds.

Agreed. Unfortunately I think the final decision will be his and I suspect he will opt to go home to Victoria. If my memory serves me, he signed a one year deal for this season and is out of contract again at seasons end. I'm almost certain he wont renew it. He's had a shocking run since coming over and think he has probably had a gut full. The good thing is he is highly rated and I dont think we will find it hard to get a fair deal for him. Varcoe has some appeal, but then there are quite a few SA lads in Melbourne the club would like to get home. I dont think we will lose him on the cheap anyway.

Agreed. Unfortunately I think the final decision will be his and I suspect he will opt to go home to Victoria. If my memory serves me, he signed a one year deal for this season and is out of contract again at seasons end. I'm almost certain he wont renew it. He's had a shocking run since coming over and think he has probably had a gut full. The good thing is he is highly rated and I dont think we will find it hard to get a fair deal for him. Varcoe has some appeal, but then there are quite a few SA lads in Melbourne the club would like to get home. I dont think we will lose him on the cheap anyway.
If we do end up losing him, then I would hope we package him up with our first 2 picks and secure ourselves a young key forward.

I think over the last 3 years we have recruited well and I think we got a good bunch of rookies this year where at least 2 could get promoted to the main list by the end of the year. If we can get that ever elusive key forward by packaging up Meesen and our first 2 picks, then I am all for it.

In this case, I wouldn't be all that keen to trade one for one because inevitably, we are likely to come off second best.

If we do end up losing him, then I would hope we package him up with our first 2 picks and secure ourselves a young key forward.

I think over the last 3 years we have recruited well and I think we got a good bunch of rookies this year where at least 2 could get promoted to the main list by the end of the year. If we can get that ever elusive key forward by packaging up Meesen and our first 2 picks, then I am all for it.

In this case, I wouldn't be all that keen to trade one for one because inevitably, we are likely to come off second best.

Do you have a key forward in mind? The sort of deal your talking about would be an established A grade player? surely not a Jay Schultz or a Sean Rusling type with unfulfilled potential?

I dont see too many options out there really.

Do you have a key forward in mind? The sort of deal your talking about would be an established A grade player? surely not a Jay Schultz or a Sean Rusling type with unfulfilled potential?

I dont see too many options out there really.
Not really but a point of interest is that both Pavlich and Reiwoldt are out of contract at the end of the year. I am not saying we must get them but it doesn't hurt to ask a question and see if they are open to the idea of changing clubs. Granted we will prbably have to give up more than I suggested but I would definetly explore the possibility and see whether or not they are interested of whether we can get it done. Chances of it happeneing are probably very slim but we at least have to try.

There is also a chance that Carlton could be getting fed up with Fev's antics so he might also be worth a shot.

Just a couple of suggestions, thats all!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really but a point of interest is that both Pavlich and Reiwoldt are out of contract at the end of the year. I am not saying we must get them but it doesn't hurt to ask a question and see if they are open to the idea of changing clubs. Granted we will prbably have to give up more than I suggested but I would definetly explore the possibility and see whether or not they are interested of whether we can get it done. Chances of it happeneing are probably very slim but we at least have to try.

There is also a chance that Carlton could be getting fed up with Fev's antics so he might also be worth a shot.

Just a couple of suggestions, thats all!

i think at the end of 2005 when Fev looked like he was on his way out of Carlton, a few people mentioned Adelaide is where he would have ended up.
If he is willing to move and Carlton want to work a trade then go for it :thumbsu:
He would fit in great in our forward line.

FF: Ricciuto Fevola Bode
HF: Thompson Bock Edwards

Re: Meesen

Brendon Fevola will not leave a Victorian club for a South Australian club (even Adelaide), not now.

Priority One would be to keep him and hopefully develop him into a quality ruckman.
Priority Two would be to seek a suitable trade that would benefit all parties.
Priority Three is to delist him and the likelihood of that happening is about 5%

If we go down the path of trading him it will be as a player package because he has not demonstrated enough on field ability to demand a first round pick. We need a young key forward (or a high draft pick to obtain that) some Victorian club may be interested in one of our players and to increase the value of this trade John Meesen could be added in that package.

I would imagine Varcoe would be off the table with the form he's showed in the seniors over the past few weeks. Geelong's long had a weakness of speed around the middle, and Varcoe looks to be the player who could fix that problem. Unless he was homesick and wanting to return to Adelaide, I'd want to keep him.

I'd imagine Geelong would probably offer a 2nd round pick for Meesen. Players like Shannon Byrnes, Josh Hunt could be offered in a deal as well perhaps, but Adelaide could probably get a better deal elsewhere. Depends if Meesen is desperate to go back to Geelong, or if he's willing to go to any Victorian team.

With King finished, Geelong do need another young ruckman though.

dont know why he isnt playing well. he was pick 8 in the 2003 draft i dont think they will delist him, patients will be shown towards him, and he is a tall and they take a while to come good.

point being??

Laurence Angwin pick 7 = Dud
Clive Waterhouse pick 1 = Super Dud
Point being that he has obvious talent.

Do you label Angwin a dud on his football ability? If so, you haven't got a clue.

Clive Waterhouse was a #1 pick in one of the worst draft of all time.

Messen was a #8 pick in a good draft and fantastic draft for ruckmen. And please, if Adelaide to trade him for Schulz or Hughes, then Matt Rendall and John Reid need to be taken out the back and shot in the head while hanging by their balls of the rafters.

Well I don't rate every youngster, not at all. I don't expect them to be Dean Cox clones within 12 months mate, but we have what I would consider to be impressive ruck prospects in Maric, Griffin and Tippett. I think Meesen will find it tough to stick around.

Re: Meesen

I rate this kid highly, I really do not want to lose him. But to be honest, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we will. Very dissappointing.

dont know why he isnt playing well. he was pick 8 in the 2003 draft i dont think they will delist him, patients will be shown towards him, and he is a tall and they take a while to come good.

He isn't playing at all at the moment but he has played well in the SANFL with Norwood in the past, and is he now a doctor or something?

Meesen was Pick 8 in a 2004 draft, that was very, very strong. Was easily the highest rated Ruckman going in to the draft and at one stage was rated as a top 3 pick.

Meesen was Pick 8 in a 2004 draft, that was very, very strong. Was easily the highest rated Ruckman going in to the draft and at one stage was rated as a top 3 pick.

From what i remember Cam wood had the big raps on him, so i woudlnt call Meeson the out right #1 ruckmen from that draft.

Essendon might be keen if Laycock doesnt shapen up

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back