Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

Yeah great points. And I know from personal experience, being in safety, how things need to be 100% clear for the majority to get it.

It doesn't need to be clear, it just needs to be motivating.

Take the mask mandate for example. The entire effectiveness of people wearing masks is almost entirely in people who are sick wearing them, very little protection for people who aren't sick from wearing a mask. But, if you make people think they are protecting themselves by wearing a mask they are more likely to wear it than if you told them that should they be unknowingly sick then them wearing a mask will protect everyone else from them, in which case many people would decide they aren't sick and therefore don't need to wear them.

I know we are talking about safety systems but sometimes you just need to make people scared for themselves and they will do what is good for the group as a byproduct.

My question had nothing to do with how, when or where they were developed, my question merely asked how effective they are.

When know they're claimed efficacy, but what's the word on the street, how are they doing, how do we know how they're doing, how is it measured?

Governments the world over think they're going to be a magic bullet, what if they're not, what's the plan?
The flu vaccine isn’t 100% effective - only 30/40% each season. People think it’s going to be a cure but it’s just going to protect us more. I’m pro-vax but I do have some reservations in general but I don’t think they are going to implant us with a chip or whatever

Take the mask mandate for example. The entire effectiveness of people wearing masks is almost entirely in people who are sick wearing them, very little protection for people who aren't sick from wearing a mask. But, if you make people think they are protecting themselves by wearing a mask they are more likely to wear it than if you told them that should they be unknowingly sick then them wearing a mask will protect everyone else from them, in which case many people would decide they aren't sick and therefore don't need to wear them.

I know we are talking about safety systems but sometimes you just need to make people scared for themselves and they will do what is good for the group as a byproduct.
Source that they don’t work please

I once sat in on a Rio Tinto safety meeting in a project office of around 100 people.

The guy was waffling on about some 'incident' and the 25 year old HR girl with no experience in mining, engineering, or anything outside an office job said something like 'isn't that something you teach young kids?' or words to that effect. Silence was deafening, and golden.
Well to be fair the average FIFO worker probably has the mental ability of a kid

No new cases again today so the lockdown will be ending tonight or at least being eased.

Not happy about having to wear a mask for another week but at least people don't have to wear one while exercising, was a stupid rule to begin with.

Source that they don’t work please

What question are you asking?

My statement is quite clear. If masks have a defined effectiveness, most of that effectiveness is the sick person wearing them, not in everyone else wearing them to protect from the sick person not wearing a mask.

We're not allowed to use box cutters on site because some idiot hurt himself.

Is that common on other sites? It's the best, most versatile cutting tool for a lot of applications

Box cutters can only be used if they are the self-retracting ones

My experience is that even if you motivate them with a positive safety outcome for themselves or their loved ones, many struggle to accept hypotheticals. Often the only effective way is to wave the stick at them. I'm referring mostly to the mining environment here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My experience is that even if you motivate them with a positive safety outcome for themselves or their loved ones, many struggle to accept hypotheticals. Often the only effective way is to wave the stick at them. I'm referring mostly to the mining environment here.
You're right, people do need to have a threat hanging over them. Everyone is the hero of their own story and bad things happen to everyone else - which is almost always correct... right up until it isn't.

But I can't blame people for feeling detached from the risks when things like speeding are talked as being quite dangerous, but I am sure everyone here had sped at some point with the world not ending

The flu vaccine isn’t 100% effective - only 30/40% each season. People think it’s going to be a cure but it’s just going to protect us more. I’m pro-vax but I do have some reservations in general but I don’t think they are going to implant us with a chip or whatever

We're not discussing a flu vaccine. Governments certainly seem to carry on as if it's going to be a cure.

What question are you asking?

My statement is quite clear. If masks have a defined effectiveness, most of that effectiveness is the sick person wearing them, not in everyone else wearing them to protect from the sick person not wearing a mask.
But the point is that people don’t show symptoms immediately hence wearing them in case you have it helps prevent the spread.

We're not discussing a flu vaccine. Governments certainly seem to carry on as if it's going to be a cure.
Anti-vaxxers/lockdown always spout “it’s just a flu” and it’s a vaccine so it is related. I don’t think it will be a cure initially but it will be protection to an extent.

We're not allowed to use box cutters on site because some idiot hurt himself.

Is that common on other sites? It's the best, most versatile cutting tool for a lot of applications

I know of a place (I worked there a few days on a different contract) where the warehouse staff had to wear a cut proof glove on their other hand while cutting boxes open with a Stanley Knife. It was a recorded strike to get caught cutting boxes without one. Three strikes and they got sacked.

Different kinds of institutionalisation I reckon.

If you did an apprenticeship or graduate program with one of the big miners on site and that's all you know it would be a big shock working in a small business. Reverse applies also. The endless rules and regulations grind people down. Kinda like COVID. :)

One of my friends used to do roofing. He wears whatever PPE he deems necessary for the task (i.e. he can just work in stubbies and thongs if he wants, but he also doesn't want to go deaf or blind or cut his toes off) but happily walks around on second story roofs without a harness or a spotter. You'd be punted off a mine site for doing that. If your way of doing a straightforward task is to read a work pack, do 7 pieces of paperwork, get sign of from 3 different supervisors etc. then you probably aren't suited to many jobs.

But there's no hard and fast rule that applies to all FIFO workers. Working for a big company on a big project at a new site is not the same as working for some junior miner getting something off the ground in the middle of bum**** nowhere where you need to wear multiple hats and be resourceful with what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back