The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our local(ish) cafe seems to be a bit of a rarity. They've had the majority of their staff, in the kitchen and waiting, for about the last 7+ years. Consistently good quality food, very good friendly service, popular. They treat all their staff well. We have quite a few other friends in the industry with very different experiences.
Can I ask where this might be?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You can shoot me down but Talking Footy at the Port Club needs to stop. The joking around with the players being treated like superstars has to stop. They are disrespecting our club, and deserve no adulation, especially our senior players who are underperforming and too comfortable.
Get your hand off it.

So.

I had a meal on friday night at the club, and it was completely deserted. They had "run out" of coke zero on tap and offered me diet coke to which I said EAD and went with regular coke.

The service was quick (well, they weren't serving anyone). However the meals...I can't even begin to explain how bad they are now. It was like I was eating at a truck stop on the way to remote Australia. The schnitzel was rubbery and tasted like some McCain TV meal, the crumbing was just peeling off in soggy strips and the chips were undercooked.

My other half got the salt and pepper squid and ate half of it and said "this has killed the port club for me, not giving it another chance."

Close it up and invest in a proper port adelaide themed pub in a good location, seriously. It's awful. No revenue, no profit, embarrassing quality of meals.

0 Thumbs up for mine.

Last edited:
So.

I had a meal on friday night at the club, and it was completely deserted. They had "run out" of coke zero on tap and offered me diet coke to which I said EAD and went with regular coke.

The service was quick (well, they weren't serving anyone). However the meals...I can't even begin to explain how bad they are now. It was like I was eating at a truck stop on the way to remote Australia. The schnitzel was rubbery and tasted like some McCain TV meal, the crumbing was just peeling off in soggy strips and the chips were undercooked.

My other half got the salt and pepper squid and ate half of it and said "this has killed the port club for me, not giving it another chance."

Close it up and invest in a proper port adelaide themed pub in a good location, seriously. It's awful. No revenue, no profit, embarrassing quality of meals.

0 Thumbs up for mine,
yep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Head over to The Prince guys - good honest and good quality pub meals at pub meal prices!

The salad and veg bar is very good as well!

One upside I can see is that we're clearly not doing a Glenelg and over investing in the place for a market that doesn't exist. Cold comfort, like cold chips.

But if we've followed a perception of the local market - or the availability of skills/staff - downwards from "quality steakhouse" down to "basic pub meals" and quality has still declined to be as variable-to-poor as recent experiences shared in this thread suggest, that's a death spiral.

I'm not an Adelaide resident any more but gee we die hard supporters like to talk a big talk about the unique long successful history of our club and when we drag occasional visitors down to Alberton it would be nice for them to be able to have at least a competent experience there instead of an embarrassing one that suggests we can't pluck a chook let alone run a chook raffle. It would be heartening to know there is a plan to stabilize and then improve quality to an appropriate standard. Set an expectation and feed us decently FFS. As an aside - if we own both assets, what exactly is the relationship with the Prince kitchen/resourcing?

On the one hand the limited communication on this makes it seem like the club is not talking so as not to tickle certain mediots "Portz is leevin' Albertonz" glands. On the other hand, and more likely given KT's style, we're trying to find and implement a fix in the background before "relaunching".

Didn't we recently upgrade the Port Club? I seem to recall a bit of stuff on social media about updating the dining area and kitchen.

One upside I can see is that we're clearly not doing a Glenelg and over investing in the place for a market that doesn't exist. Cold comfort, like cold chips.

But if we've followed a perception of the local market - or the availability of skills/staff - downwards from "quality steakhouse" down to "basic pub meals" and quality has still declined to be as variable-to-poor as recent experiences shared in this thread suggest, that's a death spiral.

I'm not an Adelaide resident any more but gee we die hard supporters like to talk a big talk about the unique long successful history of our club and when we drag occasional visitors down to Alberton it would be nice for them to be able to have at least a competent experience there instead of an embarrassing one that suggests we can't pluck a chook let alone run a chook raffle. It would be heartening to know there is a plan to stabilize and then improve quality to an appropriate standard. Set an expectation and feed us decently FFS. As an aside - if we own both assets, what exactly is the relationship with the Prince kitchen/resourcing?

On the one hand the limited communication on this makes it seem like the club is not talking so as not to tickle certain mediots "Portz is leevin' Albertonz" glands. On the other hand, and more likely given KT's style, we're trying to find and implement a fix in the background before "relaunching".

I'm hoping for a "why cant we have both?" type option.

Didn't we recently upgrade the Port Club? I seem to recall a bit of stuff on social media about updating the dining area and kitchen.
Beginning of last year;

The Port Club redevelopment complete

I don't think we spent the type of coin that Glenelg spent upgrading their bistro.

I see that the Vardon Restaurant in the redeveloped Stag Hotel has recently closed after only opening in October last year. They have gone back to serving schnitzels and burgers. I know the Steakhouse at the Port Club wasn't as high brow but it does show that it is not easy to make a dollar if you are offering anything too fancy.

Beginning of last year;

The Port Club redevelopment complete

I don't think we spent the type of coin that Glenelg spent upgrading their bistro.

I see that the Vardon Restaurant in the redeveloped Stag Hotel has recently closed after only opening in October last year. They have gone back to serving schnitzels and burgers. I know the Steakhouse at the Port Club wasn't as high brow but it does show that it is not easy to make a dollar if you are offering anything too fancy.

Yes. Just the beer + wine list at the bar of the redeveloped Stag was bemusing. Old Stag must surely have done at least 20% of its annual trade on Clipsal weekend and a fair % of the rest of the year's trade selling Bacardi Breezers to drunk kids upstairs late at night. Leaving aside the ethics, I can't for the life of me see how you could run a location like that into the ground, should be a license to print money. Shook my head at all that copper when it re-opened. On a hiding to nothing attempting an upmarket re-imagining. Maybe they thought the Garden/Fringe crown would stop in for pre-show meals+drinks. Dunno.

Yet the Exeter marches on, with excellent wine by the glass at $7.50, and plenty of free entertainment at the tables out front almost any time of day or night, and the Austral survives on $10 jugs of beer for a less entertaining but noisier student-y crowd. I wonder why.

It's not simply "trying anything fancy", it's Adelaide's conservative tastes plus low population density plus the stupid stupid "must be sitting down to have a drink outside" rules which limit outside capacity needlessly plus utterly shizen cab-ability and public transport-ability on busy late nights plus a crowded set of options of all kinds already plus, IMO relatively high food prices**. Saturation, not saturated fat ;)

**among my first impressions of Sydney are that you can get a very decent $12-$15 steak almost anywhere, any night of the week and I'm talking Surry Hills not Campbelltown, and it's the norm, not a recent desperate move due to lockout laws. Only one or two one night a week "steak night" specials like that in my vaguely comparable old neighborhood of North Adelaide. I don't know what keeps the floor of food prices up in Adelaide, less of a pokies subsidy perhaps? Mystifying but adds to the "WTF do we do with the Port Club" conundrum. Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back