Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get too excited Pakenhamsaint

Pakenhamsaint is otherwise occupied at the moment 😳

yoXsXRy.gif

Diehard Saint austinnn

Something I found in the NYT, that you would both appreciate.
It is an extract from Frank Bruni’s column this weekend.
Frank, and his readers, love to discover great examples of English.
This one tickled my sense of humour.

And in Literary Hub, Ed Simon defended — and modeled — a rangy kind of writing: “Within a long sentence — clause upon clause, the commas and semicolons, em-dashes and colons, parentheticals and appositions piling up — there can be a veritable maze of imagery, a labyrinth of connotation, a factory of concepts; the baroque and purple sentence is simultaneously an archive of consciousness at its most caffeinated and a dream of new worlds from words alone. No doubt my proffered example of a long sentence, with which I began this paragraph, will not appeal to every reader, which is fine, but to those who hold as inviolate that the only good sentence is a short one, I’m happy to offer an interjection that’s simply two words, the first a scatological curse and the second a pronoun.”

Diehard Saint austinnn

Something I found in the NYT, that you would both appreciate.
It is an extract from Frank Bruni’s column this weekend.
Frank, and his readers, love to discover great examples of English.
This one tickled my sense of humour.

And in Literary Hub, Ed Simon defended — and modeled — a rangy kind of writing: “Within a long sentence — clause upon clause, the commas and semicolons, em-dashes and colons, parentheticals and appositions piling up — there can be a veritable maze of imagery, a labyrinth of connotation, a factory of concepts; the baroque and purple sentence is simultaneously an archive of consciousness at its most caffeinated and a dream of new worlds from words alone. No doubt my proffered example of a long sentence, with which I began this paragraph, will not appeal to every reader, which is fine, but to those who hold as inviolate that the only good sentence is a short one, I’m happy to offer an interjection that’s simply two words, the first a scatological curse and the second a pronoun.”
That’s hilarious - especially the ”scatalogical curse and pronoun.” 🤣

(I admit I had to read it three times - let’s blame it on the glass or two of 🍷; it’s a little above my primary school pay grade, but please note my use of some of the above-mentioned punctuation!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Datura 4 from Perth at Cherry Bar tonight. They are as good a pub band as I’ve seen in 20 years. You lazy campaigners in Perth should get out and see them. They are as good as Tame Impala but play in smaller venues. One of the tightest bands I’ve seen.

In honour of ANZAC Day, I recommend the biography of Sir John Monash by Roland Perry.
The best biography I have read on a man that should have much more of a profile apart from a highway and a University.

If you are Victorian and especially a Melbournian, this book is fascinating and informative.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Guess who's pulling an all nighter, this bug!

Man I hate facial tension, makes me feel like everything is collapsing into the bridge of my nose and every time move my neck there's a crunch in my eardrums. Sinus issues are kinda important, and they suck, royally. Good news is, I have sugar! Bad news is, I have work tomorrow, good news is, well, sugar!

And I really shoulda grabbed my robe for warmth, god damnit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back