Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Some rare kind words from a Tigs fan. Even while second last they extend praise. Good people.
Apart from Sydney the other contenders are flaky.
So if the swans have a massive brain fart at the pointy end of the year I think any one of 7-8 clubs could fluke a flag this year. Geelong included.

Watching Dow, Cumberland and Kosi run around must be rough for Tiger fans. I know there are injury issues but surely there is someone running around at VFL level who can offer some hope for the future while contributing as much as those 3. McAuliffe for one is surely a better option than Dow.

Yeh Richmond are absolutely farked. They will be in for a couple of lean years before they bounce back again. Pick 2 this year will be a great start.

I like McAuliffe. He reminds me a lot of Will Day. Probably a bit more developed physically at the same age.

Tarranto was a lone hand in the middle and he isn't very good. Sam doesn't mind putting a tag on and I think it's telling Nash didn't go to TT at all today.

The Cats have over performed this year.

They have one star Cameron who could slow down next year like Hawkins suddenly did

Their next best forward looks like leaving

The core of players circa mid 20's is pretty shit.

Their midfield is and will be shit for some time

A few good kids coming through.

This gap that cats supporters spruik between us and them and our lists, is not what they think. Injuries is the only reason they appear better than us for now.

Join us

one of us GIF

Cats fans all sudden quiet on here...

Hawkins having much worse year than Jack Riewoldt did last year.
Father time catches everyone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah….. damn.
Don’t worry it’s not so bad

We can sit around crying into our premiership merch for a few years while we rebuild while watching the minnows battle it out discussing how much better the game was when we were at the peak of our powers

Both clubs need to hit the pointy end of the draft. Cats having that semi competitive year but will need to go full rebuild soon and retire a few veterans.

They are the side I see the most likely being rooted by Tassie.

Scott will try hang on one more year before moving into a full rebuild.

Wells and Mackie will try and plunder another teams young players for another year before admitting defeat.

They tried to rebuild on the run, but there were too many quality senior players to replace.

In reality they would be in even a worse spot if they didn’t get the GC rort deals

The draft working as it should

Like Richmond it will be interesting to see who Geelong might part with in the next 3 years to start it.

They are the side I see the most likely being rooted by Tassie.

Scott will try hang on one more year before moving into a full rebuild.

Wells and Mackie will try and plunder another teams young players for another year before admitting defeat.

They tried to rebuild on the run, but there were too many quality senior players to replace.

In reality they would be in even a worse spot if they didn’t get the GC rort deals

The draft working as it should

Like Richmond it will be interesting to see who Geelong might part with in the next 3 years to start it.
Depending on how it all plays out I still think the cats will have time to assemble a decent a nice young crop of talent before Tassie enters the comp but they will need to draft very well

As you would know that low picks don’t always guarantee a gun player that will live up to the potential projected on draft night

Cats and Tigers will need to be nailing these next two to three drafts without the luxury of knowing even if they finish poorly they will get the best picks

Although I think it will be the sides who start to drop out of contention 3 years from now that will ultimately be hurt more

Maybe teams like Essendon

The question will be when they retire off their players.

Rohan, Cameron, Blicavs are still playing roles.
Danger, Hawkins, Tuohy look cooked.

Stengle probably gone.
Stewart has been found out.
Bowes, Guthrie, Atkins, OConnor isn’t the way forward.

They have done well this year with the list and who they have carried. Chris Scott has extracted the most he could out of this group.

The Cats have over performed this year.

They have one star Cameron who could slow down next year like Hawkins suddenly did

Their next best forward looks like leaving

The core of players circa mid 20's is pretty shit.

Their midfield is and will be shit for some time

A few good kids coming through.

This gap that cats supporters spruik between us and them and our lists, is not what they think. Injuries is the only reason they appear better than us for now.

I don't think you'll be saying they overachieved by the end of the year - they'll keep dropping.

But still well ahead of the Tiges in terms of rebuild. Cats have a backline and small and medium forwards that will be good for a fair while. In terms of midfield - they're currently really weak, but Holmes will be a star if not already - need to add a few others. They could be good pretty quickly if they can poach a top line mid and a couple of their young ones come good.

I don't think you'll be saying they overachieved by the end of the year - they'll keep dropping.

But still well ahead of the Tiges in terms of rebuild. Cats have a backline and small and medium forwards that will be good for a fair while. In terms of midfield - they're currently really weak, but Holmes will be a star if not already - need to add a few others. They could be good pretty quickly if they can poach a top line mid and a couple of their young ones come good.
I agree.

I disagree with the second part though, their core is horrendous. Our core is significantly better, people just forget given our injuries.

Dempsey spent the whole first term on Ralphsmith on a wing.

Q2 he moves to attack, gets a handball goal assist at a stoppage on Miller. Then takes an advantage and snaps a goal that was no benefit to Geelong whatsoever and has another ball ricochet into his lap and snaps a goal. For the advantage goal he was on Brown at a stoppage.

So he did well there(including a bit of luck his way) but didn't beat Vlastuin in any contests and wasn't even on Vlastuin that I could tell. His 3rd goal in the 3rd term was on Vlastuin but was a soccer off the ground from 1m out after Vlastuin slipped over turning, basically it was a Bradbury goal, and not Peter Bradbury either. His final goal assist came on Brown when the play was broken up down the wing as Richmond were a man down with Lefau limping off, as usual umps don't stop the game when a Tiger player has a serious injury against Geelong.

So his goals and assists may have mainly come at good times for Geelong, but 4 of the 5 were not on Vlastuin, the one that was relied on Vlastuin slipping over when he had Dempsey covered, and the goals he kicked were very much a result of Richmond's defence not being perfectly organised, as you would expect with so much instability there. Not Dempsey's fault, he did his job, but those are not goal involvements he will be able to build any sort of career upon.

Hey Meteoric Rise I really enjoyed this breakdown of Dempsey's game against Richmond.

Any chance you could do a similar breakdown of his 25 touches, 2 goals, 2 goal assists and 9 coaches votes against Essendon?

Hey Meteoric Rise I really enjoyed this breakdown of Dempsey's game against Richmond.

Any chance you could do a similar breakdown of his 25 touches, 2 goals, 2 goal assists and 9 coaches votes against Essendon?

He won't, O Dempsey is now hot on the heels of potentially winning Rising Star but according to old mate MR, he apparently only kicks goals he can't build his career upon, live shot of our boy Meteoric Rise...

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Back