The Richard Pratt Cup - Carlton v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a Carlton home game/fixture and if we want to honour our late president and a great australian and humanatrian in this way, that is our choice ..

And btw, don't Freo and Port play for the 'Rat's Clacker' cup, North Melbourne and Richmond play for the 'Eureka' cup etc, what's the bloody big deal.

This is another game and event to raise funds for 'prostate' cancer research ???

The bitterness is strong in some fans.

After ripping Australians of millions of dollars I would not be so fast to called this rich criminal a great Australian. Just because he can make up a position at Visy to get you Judd may make him great to Carlton but not to all. Why not just name it the Christopher Skaise cup and be done with it.

The Peter Mac cup was a great idea that's been going for years and years, and raised a lot of money for the Peter Mac Centre . . . why change it to the name of a Carlton president and convicted price-fixer???

I hope we win the cup and toss it straight in the bin. Ridiculous that HE needs to be honoured more than he already has. If Carlton want to deify all their dodgy ex-presidents let them, just leave us out of it.

Terrible, terrible decision by Eddie. Pratt’s son-in-law being a board member at Collingwood may have had something to do with it which in itself is poor but I suspect it has more to do with Eddie than Alex. I can see why Carlton might want to do it but I can see no justification for it from Collingwood’s. It wouldn’t be appropriate if Pratt hadn’t been done for price fixing because he has contributed nothing to Collingwood but given the events that led to him handing back his medal it is just downright unacceptable. It is another instance of Eddie doing what Eddie wats to do regardless of what the club members and supporters think and regardless of considerations for Collingwood.

This is a dark day in Collingwood's history. I don't want anything to do with this filthy mob. Eddie McGuire has lost a lot of passionate Collingwood people. Would Carlton one day play for a Eddie McGuire Cup? I doubt it. There are many other charities we could have played for. But Richard Pratt Cup? How could they do this deal knowing the absolute hatred Collingwood fans have for this club and everything it stands for. I am totally sickened and feel cheated to be associated in some way to Carlton.

Eddie Mcguire has to stop worrying about his networking with business associates and remember he is representing Collingwood fans who detest Carlton with a passion.

Why wont Collingwood members do anything about ed and actions like these ?

Its really time action was taken and that he was bought to account.

Contact me on the below email address if you are interested.

Something does need to be done

Think its time for Eddy to start listening to the Members or get out

Eddie has done a lot right for Collingwood but this rolling over for Carlton is a disgrace.

We owe Pratt and Carlton nothing, they've done nothing for us other than look down their noses at us and all we've been to them is the butt of their jokes for 40 years.

They were a success when you could buy flags and when that stopped they continued to buy them even though it was against the rules - no wonder Pratt is held in such high regard by them, he plays by the same rules they do. That Eddie agreed to this and effectively spoke for all members and supporters could be a big mistake for him.

Eddie is part of the big end of town, and he's shown that is where his heart truly lies as a Magpie man would never have agreed to this. Carlton must be laughing their heads off at knowing they could buy Eddie and by extension - Collingwood!

You don't need Pratt's name on a cup to raise awareness for cancer!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol i have not seen one post from a person who isnt a Carlton supporter saying something positive so maybe you should have a good read of the thread

If you read my post you will see that I also think the Richard Pratt Cup is a bad idea...on the grounds that barring the pies trading for Daniel, the Pratt name is not relevant to their club. It would be like us playing for the Alan McAlister Cup...why bother?

The intent however is commendable and I think for people to automatically retaliate with witless criticisms of the recently deceased Pratt, when the intent is to raise awareness of cancer research, is particulalry poor form even by BF standards.

If you read my post you will see that I also think the Richard Pratt Cup is a bad idea...on the grounds that barring the pies trading for Daniel, the Pratt name is not relevant to their club. It would be like us playing for the Alan McAlister Cup...why bother?

The intent however is commendable and I think for people to automatically retaliate with witless criticisms of the recently deceased Pratt, when the intent is to raise awareness of cancer research, is particulalry poor form even by BF standards.

I think Carlton are intent on trying to deify Pratt than anything to do with cancer. If they were so concerned about raising awareness for cancer research (I mean, who doesn't know it exists by now anyway) why not play for the Peter Mac Cup twice?

Stop trying to make people feel guilty for not kotowing to Carltons' wishes to make Pratt a saint! If he didn't bail you blokes out you wouldn't give a stuff about him!

If your going to make an attempt at humour (yes even a poor one like this) try to get the name right, and avoid slagging one of your club greats in the process.

As for this thread, full of predictably lame posts from the usual suspects. Ill informed jibes, most of which have been done hundreds of times over, and too easily overlook the intention of the proposed cup (cancer research).

Personally I don't see a need for a Dick Pratt Cup on a matter of relevance more than anything else. Plenty of ways for Carlton to honour the great man in more meaningful ways.

First of all, I can accept that Carlton Club members and some of their fans would consider him the great man. But, why make Collingwood supporters who detest him be made to honor him in any manner at all. Most likely, Collingwood will win, and their captain will have to suffer the humility of walking up with a fixed plastic smile on his face to collect this trophy.
But if it's for a cancer cause, then it would be more fitting to call it the Jim Stynes Cup.

I think Carlton are intent on trying to deify Pratt than anything to do with cancer. If they were so concerned about raising awareness for cancer research (I mean, who doesn't know it exists by now anyway) why not play for the Peter Mac Cup twice?

Stop trying to make people feel guilty for not kotowing to Carltons' wishes to make Pratt a saint! If he didn't bail you blokes out you wouldn't give a stuff about him!

We can honour the Pratt name in any number of ways...it's a pretty sad person who sees anything sinister behind this. It remains a commendable gesture, but for the third time now, I agree that this is not a good concept.

How exactly am I trying to make people feel guilty? I agree with the vast majority who think this is a bad idea...I just take issue with those who feel they need to sink the boot in at every opportunity.

Read, write reply, refer step one, press submit.

Pity I will be working tomorrow morning but yes, supporters should give it to Eddie on SEN tomorrow. To be honest, his judgements have been so far off the last couple off years he has become a liability to the club along with the other board members. Boning time might be coming soon. Also in regards to the pubs, the sale price off the pubs was supposed to offset last years loss to down play the actual size yet they havent sold them in the last financial year.

We can honour the Pratt name in any number of ways...it's a pretty sad person who sees anything sinister behind this. It remains a commendable gesture, but for the third time now, I agree that this is not a good concept.

How exactly am I trying to make people feel guilty? I agree with the vast majority who think this is a bad idea...I just take issue with those who feel they need to sink the boot in at every opportunity.

I must be a sad person. All I see in this is Carlton's continued willingness for everyone to forgive Pratt's sins because they have. Eddie has decided to back a rich mate instead of his club.

There's plenty of ways to raise awareness for cancer.

I'm glad you accept it's a bad idea. Carlton should never have asked and Eddie should never accepted - he has lost a lot of support from Collingwood people on this.

OK! here's my question: Why make Collingwood and their fans suffer this humility?

I have to agree with collingwood fans on this one. 2 different cups?:confused::thumbsdown:

Its been the Peter mac cup for a long time now. Which was already raising cancer awareness and collecting donations at the ground.

Richard Patt had nothing to do with collingwood. These things are supposed to be about something/someone that has impacted both clubs.

I think carlton should play for The Dick pratt medal.......a medal awarded to the best Carlton player in these games. An award handed out in the rooms post game. It would be a great award for a carlton player.:thumbsu:

* Im not knocking dick....just think this idea is wrong.

Very well said.

It is rare for bigfooty punters to make a stance that criticises their own club.

To do so does not mean that you are a traitor.

Dicko

First of all, I can accept that Carlton Club members and some of their fans would consider him the great man. But, why make Collingwood supporters who detest him be made to honor him in any manner at all. Most likely, Collingwood will win, and their captain will have to suffer the humility of walking up with a fixed plastic smile on his face to collect this trophy.
But if it's for a cancer cause, then it would be more fitting to call it the Jim Stynes Cup.

Yep for Carlton supporters, for a lot of football followers in general, for supporters of the arts, for those in the jewish community, for beneficiaries of The Pratt Foundation and countless other charities, for many in the business community and no doubt thousands of Visy employees Richard Pratt is a great man. I can equally appreciate that's not the opinion of all.

So...for the fourth time...stay with me here...I think the Richard Pratt Cup is a poor idea. Your average Carlton supporter doesn't want the Richard Pratt cup sitting in your trophy cabinet (unlikely as it may seem) any more than you guys want it there. Even more than that what I don't want to see is ignorant types (like the WC supporter above playing the man and not the ball.

Jim Stynes Cup is a great idea, if indeed we need another bloody cup, but probably more relevant to something involving Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back