The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know about this year but Round 1 2020 is looking something like this

R Big Boy Coniglio Jaeger

C Smith Mitchell Scully
That's exactly how I'd have us lined up.

Leave the other 16x guys on the bench for the first half & bank interchanges!

Most have bigboy and Cegs rotating ruck and forward. if for any reason either can’t play what’s the back up?

Probably not pittonet. I’m thinking TOB Schoey Lewis Mohr? Plus of course Roughead who will be in the 22 anyway

Most have bigboy and Cegs rotating ruck and forward. if for any reason either can’t play what’s the back up?

Probably not pittonet. I’m thinking TOB Schoey Lewis Mohr? Plus of course Roughead who will be in the 22 anyway

Schoenmakers, Lewis and Nash have all shown they can’t play as the backup ruck. I can’t see Lewis and Nash together in the team. It just won’t work. Only room for one of those three plus Ceglar.

Schoenmakers, Lewis and Nash have all shown they can’t play as the backup ruck. I can’t see Lewis and Nash together in the team. It just won’t work. Only room for one of those three plus Ceglar.

Agreed but discussing back up options. It would be handy for Lewis options if he could even do 20% ruck

And from the JLT game, down the track Nash and Lewis might make a half decent HF line. They were delivering inside 50 as well as the midfielders. Can’t carry them both at the moment though

I guess this is where Vickery was supposed to slot in. Can’t see a lot of options on free agents 2019. Majak daw seems about the best...

Last edited:
For JLT 2:

Hardwick Frawley Stratton Henderson O'Meara Smith McEvoy Shiels Gunston Bruest Roughead Puopolo Howe, Ceglar, Burgoyne Schoenmakers (particular if Gunston hasnt recovered)
Impey played a half in JLT 1 so will play the whole game too

Mirra and Worpel might get given the week off for Niggles, or just play a half

Eight-Ten from Sicily O'Brien Morrison Nash Lewis Ceglar Cousins Scrimshaw Morrison and a couple of other names from JLT1 to play a half at least/most

After yesterday I think we have a better idea of our talent. I think both Cousins and Nash played their way into a round 1 game. I prefer Brand to Mirra and O’Brien but there is not much in it and none of them are world beaters. Maybe Scrimshaw will get better and take their spot but he’s not ready just yet.

Assume Wingard, Birchall and Scully will all miss.
Rnd1:
FB: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Sicily Brand Impey
CE: Smith O'Meara Henderson
HF: Nash Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Breust Roughead Puopolo
RR: McEvoy Shiels Worpel
INT: Ceglar Morrison Cousins Howe

Best 22 with no injuries I think is (this team finishes top 4):
FB: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Birchall Sicily Impey
CE: Smith O'Meara Scully
HF: Nash Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Breust Roughead Wingard
RR: McEvoy Mitchell Shiels
INT: Ceglar Cousins Worpel Puopolo

T Watson saying Adel a lock for top 4 off the back of one JLT game. What a knob. Can’t wait to smash em up there to shut the ferken media up.
Tim Watson and knobs go hand in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

after watching JLT1

B: Mirra, Frawley, Hardwick
HB: Sicily, Stratton, Impey

C: Smith, Worpel, Henderson
R: McEvoy, JOM, Shiels

HF: Burgoyne, Schoenmakers, Gunston
F: Puopolo, Roughead, Breust

INT: Ceglar, Cousins, Nash, Morrison
--------------------------------------------------------------
EMER: Golds, Howe, Miles, CJ, TOB, Minchington?

* if Gunston or Rough get injured or in poor form we can rely on Sicily to go forward and give us an option
* Nash and Mirra are staking their claim as starting 22 players
* Cousins deserves first go as mid replacement for Mitchell, Golds was super impressive for a new recruit, good signs from Greaves and Walker as well
* with Ceglar and McEvoy as ruck options we need to play the 2 ruck system, they are both too good for VFL
* CJ has improved so much since moving into defence.
* Morrison was a little disappointing, if he continues to under perform he might get replaced in the starting 22 at some time this year
* D.Moore, Jones and Lewis are all good prospects, but their performance wasnt enough to get into the round 1 team imo. (Lewis is still to register a goal against AFL opposition, Moore kicked a good goal but was chasing bums all day and not effective and Jones just seems a pre-season or 2 away from being at the level)
* Howe and Brand are being over-taken by some players but they are still useful as role players
* im really tempted to put Golds on the bench and drop Morrison tbh

Injured - Birchall, Scully, Wingard, Mitchell(season)

Last edited:
after watching JLT1

* if Gunston or Rough get injured or in poor form we can rely on Sicily to go forward and give us an option
* Cousins deserves first go as mid replacement for Mitchell, Golds was super impressive for a new recruit, good signs from Greaves and Walker as well
* with Ceglar and McEvoy as ruck options we need to play the 2 ruck system, they are both too good for VFL
* Morrison was a little disappointing, if he continues to under perform he might get replaced in the starting 22 at some time this year
* D.Moore, Jones and Lewis are all good prospects, but their performance wasnt enough to get into the round 1 team imo. (Lewis is still to register a goal against AFL opposition, Moore kicked a good goal but was chasing bums all day and not effective and Jones just seems a pre-season or 2 away from being at the level)
* Howe and Brand are being over-taken by some players but they are still useful as role players

Bringing Wingard, Scully and Mitch into that side won’t be easy. Do they bump you talent or established players?

The transition to a new squad continues.

Why is everyone trying to drop Morrison after one below average JLT game?? He has been killing it all pre-season and is coming off a year where he played over 20 games of good footy!
I see you're fairly new around here. So much to learn. One average JLT game is enough to condemn a player for life.

after watching JLT1

Schoey? Why?

Too many talls with Cegs and Nash in the line up too.

Howe in for mine.

Bringing Wingard, Scully and Mitch into that side won’t be easy. Do they bump you talent or established players?

The transition to a new squad continues.

having too many players that can play at the top level is a good problem to have.

we have about 30 players that could play round 1 and they would be worthy of their spots(4 of them injured atm) (Burgoyne, Roughead, Birchall, Frawley, McEvoy, Shiels, Breust, Smith, Gunston, Stratton, Puopolo, Scully, Wingard, Henderson, Schoenmakers, Mitchell, Impey, O'Meara, Ceglar, Sicily, Howe, Hardwick, Morrison, Miles, Worpel, Mirra, Cousins, Nash, Minchington?, Golds?) and a few guys as squad players who can back up in key positions and some genuine quality youngsters not even mentioned

Its a shame some of these guys will miss out because you cant fit 30-odd into 22...

Schoey? Why?

Too many talls with Cegs and Nash in the line up too.

Howe in for mine.

Schoey plays CHF well and it frees Gunston to be the third tall which is his best role, it frees him up to kick more goals as someone last year pointed out, our forward zone seems to work better with Schoey being the CHF workhorse and Gunston/Breust kicking the goals.

Schoey plays CHF well and it frees Gunston to be the third tall which is his best role, it frees him up to kick more goals as someone last year pointed out, our forward zone seems to work better with Schoey being the CHF workhorse and Gunston/Breust kicking the goals.
Can Roughy do it better than Schoey?

Surely can't play Roughy + Schoey + 2x Ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back