The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Exciting news on Birchall and Scully! Wingard close to a return wow all fingers crossed,
Birchall in the back 6 and you could flirt with the idea of Dimma up the ground or Sicily fwd.

I expect to see Cousins in the round 1 side. At Some stage this yr Hanrahan and Moore will get games up fwd they all look capable of making a impact,
they have learnt the system at boxhill for a few years..

There is at least another 4-5 guys who can step up and play our system, not to mention the new boys golds and walker.

Schoey plays CHF well and it frees Gunston to be the third tall which is his best role, it frees him up to kick more goals as someone last year pointed out, our forward zone seems to work better with Schoey being the CHF workhorse and Gunston/Breust kicking the goals.

You would think only one of Shoemakers and Nash plays. I hope and think they will play Nash. We need to get games into him and he has had a killer preseason and a pretty good couple of practice hit outs.

If we go with two rucks this season it will hurt Shoe more than anyone.

Apologies if already discussed elsewhere - travelling to AO for round 1 - where do Hawks supporters generally sit? Want to purchase tickets in the right area. Cheers
Try getting them through the club

Hawks cheersquad is in 146 behind the goals and usually a bay at the top of the eastern stand.

Probably a bit late now so just grab what you can.

Club only had an allocation of 700 tickets for supporters and that ballot was open for every club member, not just those based in SA. So take out the interstate members with guaranteed entitlements and there was barely 200 left for members in the ballot.

Try getting them through the club
Hawks cheersquad is in 146 behind the goals and usually a bay at the top of the eastern stand.

Probably a bit late now so just grab what you can.

Club only had an allocation of 700 tickets for supporters and that ballot was open for every club member, not just those based in SA. So take out the interstate members with guaranteed entitlements and there was barely 200 left for members in the ballot.

Thanks guys - clubs just said to go through the regular purchasing process as they had a huge waiting list.
Ended up just grabbing GA.

B: C.Glass - Frawley - Hardwick
HB: Sicily - Stratton - Impey
C: Henderson - Jaegar - I.Smith
HF: Breust - Gunston - Worpel
F: Ceglar - Roughead - Puopolo
R: Mcevoy - L.Shiels - J.Cousins

B: Burgoyne, H.Morrison, Howe, ?

Unsure on last spot maybe another defender is required. Will Morrison play iff half back though? Brand/Mirra/TOB last option provides flexability

Or a youngster to debut Golds or H.Jones

4 Injured not considered R1

Unsure on last spot maybe another defender is required. Will Morrison play iff half back though? Brand/Mirra/TOB last option provides flexability

Take Glass out, put Brand in his spot and Nash on the bench

Hardwick Frawley Stratton

Burgoyne TOB Impey

Smith Shiels Henderson

Gunston Sicily Breust

Nash Roughead Puopolo

R: Ceglar JOM Cousins

Int: McEvoy Scrimshaw Worpel Morrison

*Edit- going to include Scrimshaw over Miles (who has been dropped for jlt 2). Gunston is a real concern too

Last edited:
My prediction

FB Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
HB Sicily - Brand/TOB - Impey
C Smith - O'Meara - Henderson
HF Breust - Gunston - Nash
FF Ceglar - Roughead - Puopolo
R McEvoy - Shiels - Worpel
IC Cousins - Morrison - Burgoyne - Scrimshaw/Moore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty spot on with most of your selections but glass is a vfl footballer at best, he has a long way to go . Nash and scrimshaw could be added in.

Ceglar player the majority of JLT1 and we have been playing a bench of four in each half.

I’m wondering if Ceglar plays a half and Nash or Lewis in the other half. So a trial with two rucks, and a trial with one and fillings from Rough, O’Brien etc

I believe we need to play two bigs.

Stratton Frawley Hardwick
Burgoyne Brand Sicily

Henderson O'Meara Smith

Gunston Lewis Worpel
Poppy Roughest Bruest

McEvoy Shiel Cousins

Interchange:
Morrison, Impey, Nash, Glass

I'd like to see...

FF: Breust - Ceglar - Puopolo
HF: Gunston - Roughead - Worpel
Ce: Henderson - Burgoyne - Smith
HB: Impey - Brand - Sicily
FB: Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton

Ru: McEvoy
RR: O'Meara
Ro: Shiels

I/C: Mirra, Morrison, Cousins and Moore

Inj: Mitchell, Scully, Birch, Wings, Howe...

fantasy question here gents. James cousins. 2 weeks ago no-one on this board had james cousins in their best 22. Now he is in everyone's best 22. Even starting in the square. what's the deal? Is he going to lose his spot after 1 or 2 weeks or is he a genuine player that will benefit from the loss of Mitchell. Save me the headache :)

fantasy question here gents. James cousins. 2 weeks ago no-one on this board had james cousins in their best 22. Now he is in everyone's best 22. Even starting in the square. what's the deal? Is he going to lose his spot after 1 or 2 weeks or is he a genuine player that will benefit from the loss of Mitchell. Save me the headache :)

He takes Mitchell’s spot for this year. Cousins has had a great pre-season and even before Mitchell’s injury he was touted as the Hawk most likely to have a breakout season. He had the highest rating of any Hawthorn player last week.

B Hardwick Frawley Miles
HB Sicily Stratton Burgoyne
C Smith O'Meara Impey
HF Breust Gunston Nash
FF Worpel Roughead Puopolo
R McEvoy Shiels Cousins
IC Morrison Henderson Howe* Ceglar

*If not fit, then Brand.

Reckon we back in Cousins from the get go. Also really liked Miles' composure down back last year so am wanting him back in the side.

He's in because Mitchell, Scully, Wingard are out...

Apologies if already discussed elsewhere - travelling to AO for round 1 - where do Hawks supporters generally sit? Want to purchase tickets in the right area. Cheers

I’m going but lucky enough to jump into the corporate offer the club made members.. Anyone else doing that?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back