Radio The SEN Thread 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How boring will this thread be if there is no more bagging of Doran.
Haha.

I used to listen to him just to get a laugh out of some of the things he says and how he treats the callers during the quiz. After a while I got bored and I stopped listening this year. Same with bagging him on here. I really want someone like BP to takeover the shift. Not Harford.

From the News Ltd papers today:

More radio moves took place yesterday with the sudden departure of SEN 1116's afternoon radio host Mark Doran.

Doran, who had hosted the noon to 4pm Good Oil program since the station started six years ago, was due on air yesterday but left the station after a morning meeting with SEN boss Barrie Quick.

Speculation had been rife for weeks that Doran would soon be leaving. But Quick denied he had been pushed.

"Mark has indicated to us that he doesn't want to continue next year," Quick said.

"We mutually agreed that he would finish up. There's nothing sinister in it. Just that his contract was up and he wanted to go and do some other things next year."

Quick said a decision had not been made on Doran's replacement but in the interim Tony Schibeci would host the show.

Doran said last night he was surprised to finish up so quickly, but he could understand the station wanting to make immediate changes when he was not going to renew his contract.

Break out the silver bullets, afternoon listening is back on the schedule with Snoran doing "some other things" far far far away from our listening ears.

What other things? Research? No, I definitely rule that out. Writing? No, one may have to do research. Anything in sports? All seems unlikely. Meh!
Whatever Soran does, good luck to him - luck that he's gonna need on his side - and may he have many successes in the future. Far, far away.

I did like the part where Doran said he was bitterly disappointed he couldn't say goodbye to all his loyal listeners. He did say that didn't he? I better re-read the article.:rolleyes:

Goodbye, Boran!:)

Thumbs up for the heads up from S "Thinks He's Daicos" J. :thumbsu: And enjoy the Moet, Peternorth. You deserve it.

To good to be true. Anyone but ex hawthorn champ:rolleyes:

that ad where he refers to himself as such as cringeworthy. it may have started as a joke but i hope harf doesnt keep using it to introduce himself. "champ"??? come on!!! :rolleyes:

Break out the silver bullets, afternoon listening is back on the schedule with Snoran doing "some other things" far far far away from our listening ears.

What other things? Research? No, I definitely rule that out. Writing? No, one may have to do research. Anything in sports? All seems unlikely. Meh!
Whatever Soran does, good luck to him - luck that he's gonna need on his side - and may he have many successes in the future. Far, far away.

I did like the part where Doran said he was bitterly disappointed he couldn't say goodbye to all his loyal listeners. He did say that didn't he? I better re-read the article.:rolleyes:

Goodbye, Boran!:)

Thumbs up for the heads up from S "Thinks He's Daicos" J. :thumbsu: And enjoy the Moet, Peternorth. You deserve it.

hear hear. well done SJ!! no angry mob for you.

Doran said last night he was surprised to finish up so quickly, but he could understand the station wanting to make immediate changes when he was not going to renew his contract.

hmmmm. so why not come back for a few mins to say bye?

as for the manager denying he was pushed, isnt that the first sign that he WAS pushed?

why wouldnt he want to continue? he'd be earning a bit, gets to talk to sportspersons all day (cause according to the cgu ad he's a "sports jock") and also commentate SEN footy games right?

if you ask me (which you probably are) he was told they werent renewing his contract.

as for the moet montybrasco, ive ordered some more. plenty to go around!

85927583.ULbsIRX2.jpg

What a momentous day, Doran is off the air. Kind of feel like we have all been vindicated in our criticism of Doran over the last couple of years. The ratings slide he has had the last few months was the final nail in his coffin I feel. The article had a mistake in it though, saying he has hosted the afternoon show for 6 years since the station began. He only began hosting the afternoon shift after Leach left.
Like I said yesterday, I hope they do not replace Doran with Harford, I really feel like he does not have enough general sports knolwedge and he has a clear bias against some sports, which is the feeling I get after listening to him talk about some sports.I also do not want Schibecci hosting the program full time.

Now the question is, do they simply replace the host, or will they completely change the format of the show? Casual Friday, will it continue? It was a great show the first couple of years, but has dropped off slightly, but without Doran, Rita might not have a place there anymore.

Correct, he didn't host the afternoon show for six years, but had been at the station for six years. Originally did "the nightwatchman" (Finey's shift) and changed to arvo's when Beva got the lemonade.

Correct, he didn't host the afternoon show for six years, but had been at the station for six years. Originally did "the nightwatchman" (Finey's shift) and changed to arvo's when Beva got the lemonade.

No, that's not quite right either.

He did the night show until Francis left the afternoon show. He then took over afternoons and Beva took over nights.

When Beva went, then Finey took over.

But yes, he has been at the station for 6 years.

I really think BP would be the perfect replacement.

No, that's not quite right either.

He did the night show until Francis left the afternoon show. He then took over afternoons and Beva took over nights.

When Beva went, then Finey took over.

But yes, he has been at the station for 6 years.

I really think BP would be the perfect replacement.

Oh yeah, right you are.

Beva did afternoons after Frank left and then I think Beva and Doran just did a straight swap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy for Schebecci to be given the gig on a full time basis ..

I have chronic nightmares of Matt 'Hysteria' Thompson being given the gig though as part of SEN penny pinching ...

If there would be anyone possibly worse then Doran, it would be Hysteria :)
-

I'm happy for Schebecci to be given the gig on a full time basis ..

I have chronic nightmares of Matt 'Hysteria' Thompson being given the gig though as part of SEN penny pinching ...

If there would be anyone possibly worse then Doran, it would be Hysteria :)
-

Not sure how much cash they have on hand to throw around down there, they cant even pay someone/be bothered to update their very average website.

http://www.sen.com.au/index.php?sectionID=5423&pageID=5431

I reckon former boy bander Cristian Argenti from the overnight shift is a talent that is under utilised by the station. He's got a good knowledge of most sports and doesn't mind speaking his mind.

Afternoon audience is dominated by an older demographic. You can't have a youngish host in there as it would just alienate the audience.

FWIW Doran did an okay job (ratings wise) in an extremely tough timeslot. SEN's audience is generally males and most of them are at work during the afternoon leaving Doran left with students, the unemployed and pensioners. That said, I did think he became overly smug in the last few years.

KB would be perfect for afternoons IMO.

Then you could get Turfy in the morning slot if he was willing.

Note : No hope of Turf being in the afternoon slot as it would conflict with his punting committments.

Dr Turf is who I enjoy listening to the most at the station, but he's not a radio host. The station should use him more often the way they currently are. Add a lot to the shows he is on.

My advice to SEN would be to give it to a radio guy. Not a former footballer. Why not have co-hosts.

I think Doran's formula for the show wasn't too bad, was just he was an ignorant, rude prick.

Bring back Doran :D

i have reported your post. enjoy your ban

Dr Turf is who I enjoy listening to the most at the station, but he's not a radio host. The station should use him more often the way they currently are. Add a lot to the shows he is on.

My advice to SEN would be to give it to a radio guy. Not a former footballer. Why not have co-hosts.

sadly i think that's the path they'll go down :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back