Radio The SEN Thread 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't understand why the soccer has been bumped onto the digital channel. The A league is on foxtel, there must be plenty of people out there without pay tv interested in victory games. Especially when they have the C team and announcers like Lowther doing evenings when the games are on :thumbsdown:

It's obvious the AFL told SEN management that if they wanted to retain the rights to call AFL matches on their station they have to drop coverage of the A-league.

From a sound commerical business decision that makes sense, even if it's pandering to blackmail somewhat.

Besides no coverage of A-league games on SEN is no big loss, the commentators are so ridiculously biased and annoying and irritating, far more then 5AA callnig Crows/Power games in Adelaide ...
I'm dead serious, the Melbourne victory fan-wank base on SEN was pathetic, and frankly any interstate or neutral fan who bothered tuning into their game coverages would have been disgusted with the biased commentry and inane comments.

Today is the first time I've listened to Schibecci since Doran left and must say I'm impressed.

Just a small little thing he did before as an example. He was talking to a sports reporter from Brisbane and the subject was the first test. They talked for about 5 minutes or so and just as they were finishing up, Tony popped up with a question about the Wallabies.

Now I'm sure that Rugby Union isn't in Tony's top 5 sports but the fact that he was prepared to take a bit of a risk and ask a question was quite refreshing. You would imagine that Doran would stick to the cricket script and wouldn't dare broach anything else.

Well done Tony.

Has anyone heard the SEN promos where they talk about Melbourne being the World's Sports Capital?

They include clips of live coverage of cricket, basketball and soccer SEN have done.

Basketball they haven't done in about three years. Their live soccer coverage is stuck on digital radio where you could probably count the number of listeners on one hand. And I think I read a few weeks back a deal to do the cricket fell over.

It's a shame that sports that gave SEN their start - basketball and soccer - are now being ignored when it comes to live coverage.

By putting all its eggs in the live AFL basket, SEN may lose more listeners long term than it gains.

Was there a fee attached to broadcasting Victory games? Agree about Tony ''Small doses'' Schubecci. Full credit to Tony for being a big improver. Please no more of jackboot ''Men of Melbourne'' Rita Pleaaaaase:thumbsdown:

Why not have co-hosts?
Exactly. It probably comes down to cost, but it seems to be accepted radio practice that 'duos' or trios do breakfast and arvo slots, but not other slots. One guy talking to himself can get a bit boring. I remember a couple of times in the mid '90s, Hookesy did the 3aw show on his own, and he was like a different guy

I have on occasion (in the past) streamed SEN over the internet, but is it possible to stream SEN digital over the internet?

/noob_question

SEN's ratings are so horrible 'cos they're totally lazy and don't give the listeners anything exciting to listen to.
KB and Patrick Smith spoke about the Edelston wedding for an hour on Monday, then the Good Oil had Rita on (which is painful enough) and they spoke about Edelston, Tiger Woods and Tattoos. Zzzzzzzz!!!!!
Don't get me started on The Morning Glory.
Also while there was a heap of sport going on around the world last night, Mark Fine was just talking about draft picks who's surnames are the same as people on television.
Amateur hour!

mitch posted this in the doran appreciation thread. it deserves air time here.

with reference to the afl talk, last night someone called TRH and said how great it was that they were talking footy again, and how good it was that the AFL schedules its events (draft, preseason draft etc) in the off season.

basically good to talk footy

How's You Blokes Maher telling Marion Jones that the Australian sporting public would overwhelmingly welcome her to Australia to play basketball, and then later in the show question whether we should allow Tiger Woods to come back for next year's Masters.

He's sickening sometimes how he grovels at the feet of the MG guests, and spends 2-3 minutes telling them how good they are at the start and end of each interview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's been a rather large week down at SEN, after Doran getting the lemon and sars the guys who look after their website have removed his average mug from the link to the good oil, and rightly so. Although you can still see his dial on the front page of the sportsentral.com site.

It's a pity they didn'd delve a little deeper and realise that the content of their website is close to 18 months old, apparently they'll be interviewing some big names as they prepare to compete in Bejing. Can't wait, should be riveting.

Don't forget you can also hear the thoughts of Grant Thomas and Luke Darcy, i'll be tuning in on Monday morning to hear the below...

From the SEN website
http://www.sen.com.au/index.php?sectionID=5423&pageID=5431
"Recovering from a big weekend in the footy – well recover on Monday morning’s as Billy, Tim and Andy dissect all the weekend’s action like none other. Former St Kilda coach and SEN commentator Grant Thomas joins the boys every morning to discuss the big issues as he sees them."

Sounds awesome.

If that's not enough you can join the 'current' debate.... Who would you choose, Bombers of 2000 or Geelong 2008? I might ring in tomorrow and give my opinion.

TCB...

Well it's been a rather large week down at SEN, after Doran getting the lemon and sars the guys who look after their website have removed his average mug from the link to the good oil, and rightly so. Although you can still see his dial on the front page of the sportsentral.com site.

It's a pity they didn'd delve a little deeper and realise that the content of their website is close to 18 months old, apparently they'll be interviewing some big names as they prepare to compete in Bejing. Can't wait, should be riveting.

Don't forget you can also hear the thoughts of Grant Thomas and Luke Darcy, i'll be tuning in on Monday morning to hear the below...

From the SEN website
http://www.sen.com.au/index.php?sectionID=5423&pageID=5431
"Recovering from a big weekend in the footy – well recover on Monday morning’s as Billy, Tim and Andy dissect all the weekend’s action like none other. Former St Kilda coach and SEN commentator Grant Thomas joins the boys every morning to discuss the big issues as he sees them."

Sounds awesome.

If that's not enough you can join the 'current' debate.... Who would you choose, Bombers of 2000 or Geelong 2008? I might ring in tomorrow and give my opinion.

TCB...

A golden effort there, C.B.TV.:thumbsu: Pretty funny, too. You've just touched on the gist of many complaints posted in this thread - amateur hour.

You are yet another to shine the light on the fact that no one takes responsibility for the overall product put out by SEN. And their results are…? Exhibited by your post.

I've stopped listening to sen now altogether and I've found that I haven't missed it at all. A shame really considering I've listened since the very first broadcast. I've found myself listening to MMM in the mornings and at least the topic of conversation changes fairly often.

Blimey I'm not one who should talk but schubecci has his own language!! Talking Tiger {heard the voicemail for 20th time] ''Indiscress'' Schubecci says of Tiger's exploits:eek::eek:

I don't want to be negative here, but I have a bad feeling in my gut that SEN won't be around in 12 months time ... Reckon that if things don't improve sharply ratings wise next year, the owners of the station might decide to pull the plug on it (I understand SEN have been losing money fairly badly in the last few years)
It is a nice concept to be sure, but it's been basically flawed, with some pretty poor man management decisions ...

I don't want to be negative here, but I have a bad feeling in my gut that SEN won't be around in 12 months time ... Reckon that if things don't improve sharply ratings wise next year, the owners of the station might decide to pull the plug on it (I understand SEN have been losing money fairly badly in the last few years)
It is a nice concept to be sure, but it's been basically flawed, with some pretty poor man management decisions ...

This is laughable.

Why does everyone think they are rating badly ? Do people expect them to rate 10s or 20s ?

They are doing quite well for a niche radio station. They are going gangbusters in their demographic (males 20-55) and to still be getting 4s and 5s generally is fantastic really. SEN Drive was the 6th highest metro station on the last survey. You couldn't ask for much better than that.

Radio is a hard market to break habits on. People often leave their radio tuned to the same station. Its not like a television set where people flick between channels. SEN are improving (listeners wise) every year and the more people they get on, the more people they will keep.

If you were an investor, the choice between SEN and 3AW would be a no brainer in my opinion. SEN are a developing radio station with a core demographic that appeals to advertisers and with limited station costs.

3AW on the other hand have a declining radio audience with a listening demographic that does not appeal to advertisers and expensive costs.

AFL of course is key but so long as they manage to retain the calling rights they are in no danger of going to the wall.

I've stopped listening to sen now altogether and I've found that I haven't missed it at all. A shame really considering I've listened since the very first broadcast. I've found myself listening to MMM in the mornings and at least the topic of conversation changes fairly often.

im slowly breaking out of listening to mg. it just raises my blood pressure but i must ease off it cause a quick and decisive change could rupture my arteries.

MMM breakky show is good. even though there's 2 footy people on there they do talk about non afl stuff, and quite a lot!

Blimey I'm not one who should talk but schubecci has his own language!! Talking Tiger {heard the voicemail for 20th time] ''Indiscress'' Schubecci says of Tiger's exploits:eek::eek:

what, he wasnt talking about motorsport???? :eek:

Kevin Bartlett is having a terrible day today.

How much longer do we have to put up with this relic?

If he's not blabbing on about the Tiger Woods scandal, he's going on and on about how technologically illiterate he is. Mind-numbing stuff.

Why is he always on SEN after the ratings period? Why can't he take time off like a normal radio DJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back