Radio The SEN Thread 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy for Schebecci to be given the gig on a full time basis ..

The Schibecsta is a competent host with an affable personality and a strong voice for radio.

However, he suffers from mental blanks and bamboozlement, and often speaks at a slow pace better suited to his former World Sport Overnight timeslot.

The best thing SEN can do is start afresh by recruiting someone not currently on its books. At the moment the station is incredibly stale and needs a shake-up. Don’t keep the “Good Oil” name and the same old segments – that just makes the new host look like Doran’s replacement and deny them the chance to create their own product. The 2pm quiz has been around since time immemorial and needs a shorter and sharper format.

Stations like 3AW and Fox keep the same segments and hosts for long periods (i.e. Rumour file, Gotcha calls) because they are proven formulas. SEN is yet to find a proven formula, and must therefore continue to search for it.

Will Roy & HG be back at Triple M next year? It’s probably not a great example because they’d have to produce the show from Sydney, but they would generate a sense of excitement that SEN hasn’t had since it acquired the AFL rights.

Is anyone really excited by ANOTHER 12 months of Andy and Tim?

Perhaps Barrie Quick should give Sam Newman a call. Give him a regular spot on Friday mornings during the breakfast show. Whenever something controversial happens on the Footy Show, everyone will be listening to SEN the next morning to hear Sam’s response. Put him on Crunch Time too – the addition of Matthew Lloyd and the departure of Grant Thomas suggests it’s going to be a bland program in desperate need of a protagonist.

Finally, as well as a shake-up, SEN needs to ask itself what it truly stands for. Is it a bona fide sports radio station, or is it AFL 1116? At the moment it’s incredibly AFL-centric with too many hosts that lack depth of knowledge in other sports.

This is all good and well during winter when everyone wants to hear about footy, but once summer hits and they’re still obsessed with it, they lose a lot of credibility and come across as quite sad.

Look at Sunday nights. Born in the USA was a unique program which added a sense of diversity to the station. They can’t be blamed for Steve’s decision to return to the US, but all they’ve done is replace it with a generic program not dissimilar to other weekend formats they’ve tried in the past.

This shows a complete lack of imagination, creativity and nerve within the station’s programming department.

That’s got to change, or SEN will join its sister station in becoming an antiquated irrelevance.

The Dunstan,

Good post but I disagree that SEN is in trouble.

What exactly do you think they should be rating ?
Considering its a sports station, it basically rules out 50% of the population (women) so lets start from there.

Sam Newman is not the answer. He doesn't even watch AFL any more. SEN listeners are quite savvy - sure you get some nuffy's ringing up but comparing the talk back callers on SEN to say 3AW is like chalk and cheese. Sam would get found out very quick.

A few points.

I agree that afternoon needs a fresh approach but again people must understand how incredibly hard that timelsot is on a pure sports station where the core audience is males aged 18-55.

Roy and HG are finished. Besides which they are far too Sydney centric.

Mornings are going ok in my opinion. I like the fact that they have a special co-host in every day. Gaze and Turf fill these roles admirably in my opinion and they have a real rapport with Maher and Watson. Agree that Maher and Watson can't carry the show on their own though.

Whilst I loved BITUSA and am sorry to see its demise, the fact is it aired on a Sunday night in a timeslot that didn't and does not attract advertisers. What the replacement show is in that timelsot would be the least of SEN management's worries - they could probably put on static and it would make the station more money......

I would hope that Schibeci would not land the full-time gig. It would be a step in the wrong direction for the station. He is a competent radio host but has limited knowledge on most sports and doesn't have much of a personality.

As for SEN in general I have posted before that they need to feature more live sport during the off-season. I am not sure what the contractual situation is with the A-league but the move to dump the Victory coverage to digital and on-line just gives the listener more of the same repetitive talk-back that fills the weekend during summer.

You would imagine that with the introduction of the Heart next season 2 live games per weekend would provide excellent content.

It would be great if they could have live NBL, A-League, Bushrangers one-dayers and 20/20 as well as live coverage of the shield on the weekend. I think that could bulid a suprisingly loyal following.

2010 can be a great opportunity for a re-launch of the station after 6 years.

Perhaps a line up such as this

6-9 - Hutchy (not loved - but always interesting Smarter bloke than many give him credit for) & Dr Turf. Very good listening on a Saturday morning.
9-12 - Anthony Hudson and try and poach Jon Anderson from 3AW
12-4 - Ed Wyatt and a combo of co-hosts including N.Thompson, Schwass and Tiff Cherry
4 - 7 - Ox & Leach - Whilst Ox is no genious he is strangely decent to listen to
7 -11 Finey - Would be great to get Beva back but he's found a good gig with AW
Overnight - As is on weekdays and live coverage of EPL on weekends

6-9 - Hutchy (not loved - but always interesting Smarter bloke than many give him credit for) & Dr Turf. Very good listening on a Saturday morning.
9-12 - Anthony Hudson and try and poach Jon Anderson from 3AW
12-4 - Ed Wyatt and a combo of co-hosts including N.Thompson, Schwass and Tiff Cherry
4 - 7 - Ox & Leach - Whilst Ox is no genious he is strangely decent to listen to
7 -11 Finey - Would be great to get Beva back but he's found a good gig with AW
Overnight - As is on weekdays and live coverage of EPL on weekends

I actually don't mind that line-up.

Huddo might be the wrong person for the 9-12 slot as that is usually the pensioner listening audience. Other than that, good suggestions.

Have to disagree about live coverage of A-league and NBL. Whilst you may gain some extra listeners the fact is you are going to lose a lot more. The key in radio is to not get listeners to change their dial as once they do its hard to get them back. As I said before radio is not like television where the consumer changes channels readily. Once you change on radio its more than likely going to stay changed and they won't come back.

Just with A-league coverage, as I stated before, I believe part of the conditions the AFL put on SEN to continue calling footy was to drop the live coverage of A-league games and Socceroos international fixtures. It's obvious The AFL forced SEN to stop calling A-league games, and with the Heart coming in next year, SEN are so dependant on the AFL and being allowed to call footy that they won't jepodise it ..

Just with A-league coverage, as I stated before, I believe part of the conditions the AFL put on SEN to continue calling footy was to drop the live coverage of A-league games and Socceroos international fixtures. It's obvious The AFL forced SEN to stop calling A-league games, and with the Heart coming in next year, SEN are so dependant on the AFL and being allowed to call footy that they won't jepodise it ..

Rubbish. The A-League isn't even on during the AFL season so it has no relevance whatsoever.

The reason they stopped was because the soccer didn't rate. Also because soccer on radio is terribly hard to make money from. You basically have to broadcast with no ads for 45 minutes which means SEN aren't earning any money for that period - unless a goal is scored.

That is the commercial reality I'm afraid.

in an unrelated topic, been listening to a bit of AW sports tonight and on a few nights this week healy and russell were harping on about the afl vs soccer/world cup bid/stadium/monthly embargo thing. ive felt like calling them up to say the following:

1. if the WC comes to australia i hope neither of you have anything to do with the QC - dont go, dont even host your show during that time
2. perhaps AW shouldnt even report or give it any coverage

What exactly do you think they should be rating ?
I remember reading a quote from DMG last year saying they wanted Vega to reach a 5 in the ratings in order to be profitable. This is what SEN should be aiming for. They achieved it during the peak of 2008, but were closer to 4 this football season. These numbers are usually boosted by the drive shift -- they need more out of the Morning Glory.

3MP certainly wouldn't be reaping in the advertising dollars with its elderly (therefore low disposable income) audience, meaning Pacific Star would be pinning its hopes on SEN.

Whilst I loved BITUSA and am sorry to see its demise, the fact is it aired on a Sunday night in a timeslot that didn't and does not attract advertisers. What the replacement show is in that timeslot would be the least of SEN management's worries - they could probably put on static and it would make the station more money......

I think you'll find BUSA actually drew decent ratings for a niche program in a graveyard timeslot. You're also harsh to suggest they couldn't attract revenue. BUSA had its fair share of naming-rights sponsors over the years, such as USA Foods, Brighton Hotel etc. Programs like these also allow SEN to attract listeners that aren't obsessed with AFL and may not otherwise come across the station.

I agree with earlier posts that SEN needs more live sport in order to be a credible all-sports radio station.

Whenever there's a sporting event in Melbourne or anything of significance nationally, you should be able to tune into 1116am knowing you're going to find a live broadcast.

Forget about this Saturday Sportsentral rubbish, get off your backsides and cover it.

In today's media landscape with internet/mobiles etc, people have much more reliable and efficient means of finding live scores than a radio station.

in an unrelated topic, been listening to a bit of AW sports tonight and on a few nights this week healy and russell were harping on about the afl vs soccer/world cup bid/stadium/monthly embargo thing. ive felt like calling them up to say the following:

1. if the WC comes to australia i hope neither of you have anything to do with the QC - dont go, dont even host your show during that time
2. perhaps AW shouldnt even report or give it any coverage

I've ventured over to the dark side a few times,they're always having straw polls or silly call in topics .The show has become lazy and it sounds like they just cannot be bothered to talk about anything that's not gossipy or tabloidish[Cue the obnoxious Dwayne Russell]They hate the sport and to argue anything negative about gaining the BIGGEST SPORTING EVENT in our lifetime is beyond me

I remember reading a quote from DMG last year saying they wanted Vega to reach a 5 in the ratings in order to be profitable. This is what SEN should be aiming for. They achieved it during the peak of 2008, but were closer to 4 this football season. These numbers are usually boosted by the drive shift -- they need more out of the Morning Glory.

3MP certainly wouldn't be reaping in the advertising dollars with its elderly (therefore low disposable income) audience, meaning Pacific Star would be pinning its hopes on SEN.

I think you'll find BUSA actually drew decent ratings for a niche program in a graveyard timeslot. You're also harsh to suggest they couldn't attract revenue. BUSA had its fair share of naming-rights sponsors over the years, such as USA Foods, Brighton Hotel etc. Programs like these also allow SEN to attract listeners that aren't obsessed with AFL and may not otherwise come across the station.

I agree with earlier posts that SEN needs more live sport in order to be a credible all-sports radio station.

Whenever there's a sporting event in Melbourne or anything of significance nationally, you should be able to tune into 1116am knowing you're going to find a live broadcast.

Forget about this Saturday Sportsentral rubbish, get off your backsides and cover it.

In today's media landscape with internet/mobiles etc, people have much more reliable and efficient means of finding live scores than a radio station.

Agree sportscentral with Hysteria is shocking. They're just covering insignificant cheap events such as Moonee Valley Friday night races. I'm sure the two people interested are enthralled. Don't give us those ads about Melbourne's home of sport then not cover anything besides the friggin footy:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish. The A-League isn't even on during the AFL season so it has no relevance whatsoever.

The reason they stopped was because the soccer didn't rate. Also because soccer on radio is terribly hard to make money from. You basically have to broadcast with no ads for 45 minutes which means SEN aren't earning any money for that period - unless a goal is scored.

That is the commercial reality I'm afraid.

Thats crap.

They lost the rights to the ABC. Im sure if SEN was allowed to broadcast it they would.

And just because there is limited ads for soccer doesnt mean they didnt get sponsors.

It definitely isn't the money aspect as to why they don't broadcast it over the radio. If it was a money issue, how come they are covering it, but it is only broadcast on digital radio, SEN2?? The suggestion that the AFL have pressured them makes complete sense and would not surprise me at all.

On SEN as a whole, I work from 8.30-4.30, so rarely listen to them during the day anymore. I used to listen all the time before I started full time work this year. I think the Run Home is a great show and always listen to it on the way home from work. However, the Morning Glory I would probably listen to about 1/4 of the drive to work when I am in the car. I switch channels constantly in the morning, I refuse to listen to ads. It is usually a mix of SEN, MMM, JJJ and ABC in the morning. MG can be quite boring, they don't really discuss anything interesting at length, they cut off the people they interview to go to an ad break or news, and they often ramble on about crap all.

SEN are covering the tennis at the Australian Open with live coverage, they tried desperately hard to get cricket as well as the spring racing carnival. They are trying, but aren't getting much luck. We keep complaining about the station, but I am still glad that we have a sports talkback station at all. I remember when SEN wasn't around, having to listen to 3AW during the days at work was painful.

The ratings they get are pretty solid. What do people expect them to rate? a 7 or 8 share of the audience? It wont happen. They are doing very well in the demographic that is most important to them, and so long they keep doing well in that, the station will stay around. I am also sure that the AFL likes having SEN around, and will try and make sure they stay around (so they can push their agenda).

I am glad Doran is gone, but so is everyone else, will be interesting to see who they replace him with. I cannot see Shibecci being a suitable replacement. He has limited knowledge on a number of sports and he just would not rate that well in the long term for SEN.

I've said it before, but I think Harf would be a great replacement, with Rita in there for us women....not necessarily every day, but perhaps like Nicole Livingston was, in fact, get her back as well.....

Sorry guys, but we women who do listen to SEN, (and there are a lot of us) would also like to hear a sensible woman more often......Rita has that quirky sarcastic humour that I and others like..

Research, it's not just a place out past Eltham!

Pretty sure 'Off The Bench' should change its name to 'The listen to Liam Pickering talk up the chances of Mitch Thorpe and Daniel Harris getting drafted/rookie listed Variety Hour'.

Great example of lack of care about all things not in their primary sport of interest this morn by Pickers, Turfy and Schwatta. They were calling for people to provide an alternative to Nicole Kidman to do the voiceovers for our World Cup Bid. A lady rang up and suggested Melissa Barbieri, veteran Aussie and Melb Victory W-League Goal Keeper.
Never heard of her, was the cry from the panel. "Don't worry, we'll google her!"

P.S. I'm in the process of writing a very long winded and drawn out email to the good folk at SEN explaining why i think they are very average. I'd urge other to do so if you feel SEN could be improved.

A lady rang up and suggested Melissa Barbieri, veteran Aussie and Melb Victory W-League Goal Keeper.
Never heard of her, was the cry from the panel. "Don't worry, we'll google her!"

To be fair - if you asked 10000 people who she was I would doubt if you would get 5 people who knew who she was.

Pretty ridiculous suggestion really.

Therein lies the problem - I would be surprised if either the Brighton Hotel or USA Foods put in more than $1000 per night for advertising.

I've said it before, but I think Harf would be a great replacement, with Rita in there for us women....not necessarily every day, but perhaps like Nicole Livingston was, in fact, get her back as well.....

Sorry guys, but we women who do listen to SEN, (and there are a lot of us) would also like to hear a sensible woman more often......Rita has that quirky sarcastic humour that I and others like..

Look harford is adequate but he's an ex AFL with limited knowledge on all sports besides the footy. Please NO to the Jack Boot Gossiper Rita,who's social commentary:eek: is more intuned with 693 3aw.

P.S. I'm in the process of writing a very long winded and drawn out email to the good folk at SEN explaining why i think they are very average. I'd urge other to do so if you feel SEN could be improved.

Would love for you to post the email on here after you've sent it to SEN management.

Looks like Harf has replaced Andy Mahar on the morning show and Wayne Schwass on the good oil. (12-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back