Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Racism is a problem.

But if you incorrectly assume it is THE problem in this case, then you won't address the root cause, and thus most definitely won't solve the problem.
Governments can have all the quotas and plans reviews they want but we still act like this isn't a deeply racist country with systems built on that foundation.

And that includes the Government's that deny there is racism while continuing to enact racist policies

As soon as anyone brings racism up as a possible cause or part of a reason why an Indigenous person has died everyone is very quick to deny and rule it out.

But it keeps happening, over and over, so maybe it should be actually looked at instead of just immediately denied?

You said racism was the root of it. That's where I thought you were wrong and explained why.

The things the governments do are more than just reviews etc. They pay disproportionately more money per potential patient to get people out to rural and remote areas. Not many people want to go and work there for free, so you have to provide incentives. If they didn't do this, the situation would be a lot worse.

Now you say it is a possible cause or part of the reason. But you didn't say that before. Anyhow, it probably is. There are still big cultural and communication issues around Aboriginal health (just look at COVID vaccination rates for example), as well as generational health issues brought about by dispossession, abuse and poverty.

You said racism was the root of it. That's where I thought you were wrong and explained why.

The things the governments do are more than just reviews etc. They pay disproportionately more money per potential patient to get people out to rural and remote areas. Not many people want to go and work there for free, so you have to provide incentives. If they didn't do this, the situation would be a lot worse.

Now you say it is a possible cause or part of the reason. But you didn't say that before. Anyhow, it probably is. There are still big cultural and communication issues around Aboriginal health (just look at COVID vaccination rates for example), as well as generational health issues brought about by dispossession, abuse and poverty.
Rooted in racism, not just racism but you can't separate it out.

You’re very quick to say stuff is racist
You're very quick to deny it is.
But for the record when the communities and families and people impacted are telling you racism is part of the problem, like happens every day and every time we hear about another death, shooting, misdiagnosed medical issue etc.

Maybe they are right and you're wrong?

Maybe the advocates and experts from those communities pointing out the racism in the processes or circumstances should be believed.

Because I'm not sitting at home reading one news article this and going yep racist. I'm seeing the stories, quotes etc from the people impacted in multiple articles and on social media and paying attention

Speaking of campaignering, is the flying of ukraines flag virtue signalling?
Non brown refugees must be a little confronting for some I'd imagine. I wonder if they talk about queue jumpers and economic migrants in countries that are accepting them?

Speaking of campaignering, is the flying of ukraines flag virtue signalling?
Yes and no
Solidarity is a thing, there is some legit support out there but a lot of people and businesses are just doing the must be seen to be onboard thing as well

Yes and no
Solidarity is a thing, there is some legit support out there but a lot of people and businesses are just doing the must be seen to be onboard thing as well
valid points. i must say im surprised there hasnt been cries of virtue signalling from parts of the media.

valid points. i must say im surprised there hasnt been cries of virtue signalling from parts of the media.
I mean those parts of the media are generally the ones that cry that when social issues they are opposed to are brought up

most people don't seem to be opposed to supporting the Ukraine currently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sigh Found out that my gf is now adding radiation therapy to her cancer treatment which we thought with chemo and then surgery was over (other than reconstruction surgery still to come).

Whilst the tumours reacted to chemo , they did find some changing cells trying to make their way through therefore it was recommended at the medical team meeting that she does radiation therapy everyday(weekdays) for 3-5 weeks .

We meet with the Oncologist tomorrow and the Radiology Oncologist next Wednesday.

sigh Found out that my gf is now adding radiation therapy to her cancer treatment which we thought with chemo and then surgery was over (other than reconstruction surgery still to come).

Whilst the tumours reacted to chemo , they did find some changing cells trying to make their way through therefore it was recommended at the medical team meeting that she does radiation therapy everyday(weekdays) for 3-5 weeks .

We meet with the Oncologist tomorrow and the Radiology Oncologist next Wednesday.

Geez!

The missus can't catch a break can she?

We're all for Mrs Ray here.

Geez!

The missus can't catch a break can she?

We're all for Mrs Ray here.
its just farked. poor thing.

plus logistically its a nightmare. its mon-fri for 3-5 weeks at the hospital that's 45-55 mins away, all for about 30mins all up (25 min set up, then radiate, then leave).
looking into whether there is some volunteer bus that can maybe grab her from somewhere in between as its just going to be impossible with school runs (once holidays are over), me working etc. i have read about some bus so fingers crossed. she will probably be able to drive to some but i think fatigue can set in after a while and i dont want her driving that far on motorway by herself

seriously its just farked

its just farked. poor thing.

plus logistically its a nightmare. its mon-fri for 3-5 weeks at the hospital that's 45-55 mins away, all for about 30mins all up (25 min set up, then radiate, then leave).
looking into whether there is some volunteer bus that can maybe grab her from somewhere in between as its just going to be impossible with school runs (once holidays are over), me working etc. i have read about some bus so fingers crossed. she will probably be able to drive to some but i think fatigue can set in after a while and i dont want her driving that far on motorway by herself

seriously its just farked
My sister was in the same boat. Five days a week for 10 minutes at a time for three months.

Problem was they live in Geraldton and for some ridiculous reason it’s not available there so they had to come to Perth, stay the week and then head home at the end of each week - it’s already a traumatic experience made all the harder by a lack of alternatives. She was lucky in that she had somewhere to stay but for many others it must be very difficult

Hopefully you can get something sorted for your partner - is there off site cancer accommodation she may be able to stay at

Yeah that's rubbish. Really should be covered for transport and any associated costs to help people get better. Yet, we're in a world now where there's push back about having a nurse available 24 hours per day for people in nursing homes.

My sister was in the same boat. Five days a week for 10 minutes at a time for three months.

Problem was they live in Geraldton and for some ridiculous reason it’s not available there so they had to come to Perth, stay the week and then head home at the end of each week - it’s already a traumatic experience made all the harder by a lack of alternatives. She was lucky in that she had somewhere to stay but for many others it must be very difficult

Hopefully you can get something sorted for your partner - is there off site cancer accommodation she may be able to stay at
Cancer Council here have bought a big old motor inn on Greenhill Road which pretty central to everything and is used for this sort of thing.

Had really good news yesterday about my wife’s last round of cancer treatment - all tumours showing decreased activity. Means that we can move into monitoring and she will be off treatment for the immediate future. She has gone from ‘you have a few months’ to possibly living for several years, maybe a decade.

She admitted today that she can’t feel happy about it because it just means living longer in a terminal situation, in a body she hates, with no prospect of being able to do the things that matter to her. She just wants to die.

I don’t really know what to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back