Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Had really good news yesterday about my wife’s last round of cancer treatment - all tumours showing decreased activity. Means that we can move into monitoring and she will be off treatment for the immediate future. She has gone from ‘you have a few months’ to possibly living for several years, maybe a decade.

She admitted today that she can’t feel happy about it because it just means living longer in a terminal situation, in a body she hates, with no prospect of being able to do the things that matter to her. She just wants to die.

I don’t really know what to do.
How awful. So sorry.

I guess, just listen and support her the best you can?

Had really good news yesterday about my wife’s last round of cancer treatment - all tumours showing decreased activity. Means that we can move into monitoring and she will be off treatment for the immediate future. She has gone from ‘you have a few months’ to possibly living for several years, maybe a decade.

She admitted today that she can’t feel happy about it because it just means living longer in a terminal situation, in a body she hates, with no prospect of being able to do the things that matter to her. She just wants to die.

I don’t really know what to do.

I'm so sorry for you and your wife - I've had close family members have that sword of Damocles hang over them and watching them try to cope the best they can is draining.

I guess there's two questions I'd have:

• what are the shared goals you can focus on now? For instance now that borders have re-opened, do you have any trips you can plan for?
  • what are you able to do to look after your own health? I reckon having someone who acts as a sounding board for your stresses (preferably not a relative) is a crucial part of managing your own energy while navigating terminal illness.

I'm so sorry for you and your wife - I've had close family members have that sword of Damocles hang over them and watching them try to cope the best they can is draining.

I guess there's two questions I'd have:

• what are the shared goals you can focus on now? For instance now that borders have re-opened, do you have any trips you can plan for?
  • what are you able to do to look after your own health? I reckon having someone who acts as a sounding board for your stresses (preferably not a relative) is a crucial part of managing your own energy while navigating terminal illness.
We have a couple of trips planned, but I think her problems are a bit more existential than that

and my solution to (2) is to bitch on BF :)

We have a couple of trips planned, but I think her problems are a bit more existential than that

and my solution to (2) is to bitch on BF :)

Ha - fair enough!

Seriously though: the toll that terminal illness takes on the household is undersold - find some ways to have your own outlets, have a sounding board (who isn't a relative) and keep your own physical health in good nick. The drain is something that often isn't apparent but rears its head at some point.

we just got back from the vet with our pooch, and they told us he has bladder cancer, originally thought it was a UTI, only has a few weeks left :cry:
I’m so sorry 😢 that’s terrible news

I’m so sorry 😢 that’s terrible news

thank you, what makes it harder is he looks perfectly normal and happy, you wouldn't know he was sick, my wife has taken it hard, he is her little shadow

Moving states for the 4th time. I think that's it, unless I move country, that's it.

Use to be excited for the new challenge, now not so much. Guess that's old age?

Moving states for the 4th time. I think that's it, unless I move country, that's it.

Use to be excited for the new challenge, now not so much. Guess that's old age?
Different states every time or some repeats?

Only one repeat. Have come to discover you're never going to find the perfect place. Best bet is to be rich and be able to have several homes.

think-smart.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one repeat. Have come to discover you're never going to find the perfect place. Best bet is to be rich and be able to have several homes.
i guess if you were rich you could pay for people to clean the place and have them all furnished and wardrobes with clothes and stuff and just go when you wanted but it still seems like a lot of effort

I'll give you a clue. They're well known for having relations with their own family and also have some of Australias finest wines.

Are you joining the bid for a 19th AFL club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back