Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his injury woes & games he misses, a far more accurate measure would be his average goals per game whilst appreciating the fact he played in defence for a portion of his career games.
he was actually quite good when he played back, until there was a period of all the wanna be forwards haha, yea yea, whatevs :D

If Waite wants to chase one big final contract after we've stood by him throughout this 3 year deal when he couldn't get himself on the park then he can p*** off. If there is one player on our list that actually owe's us it's him. Not happy!

i would not knock back an extra $100K if my father was john nicholls. perhaps if i had to move interstate then i could understand, but to move across the road to a club better poised for a crack at the top 4 and for more money? where do i sign??

On this year's form, sure, Norf are more likely to have a crack at top 4 in '15, but is the difference (performance wise) between our clubs really that great? We did beat them this year, they seem to have some defence and other issues and there is a great vibe at CFC about what will happen next year. I don't think Norf's potential performance will be much of a factor - Geelong or Hawthorn, maybe.

What a nice statement it would make if Waite signed up with this sort of offer floating around.

Subjectively, I love the guy and his passion while playing. Objectively, he's an almost 32 year old forward with a horrible injury history, who averages a goal and a third per game, and people want to sign him until he's 34? I feel like I've taken crazy pills here.

We'll have a makeshift forward line whether he's there or not. But, hey, we could free up 750k over two years and try to poach a replacement for him, or heaven forbid actually draft a decent key position player.
Sure only sign him on for 1 year, I agree. I think you're having an imaginary argument there, who's saying to sign him on for more?

Doesn't change the fact the majority of people were saying (just like now with Waite) that Eddie wasn't worth the money he was asking for, yet still complained this year when he was playing well.

I wasn't saying that about Eddie. As for Waite, I'd like him to stay but if he can get 100k more for 2 seasons at North then he'd be stupid to let that go.

As an aside, if North are offering that much does that mean our compensation pick would be greater than we expected?

Given his injury woes & games he misses, a far more accurate measure would be his average goals per game whilst appreciating the fact he played in defence for a portion of his career games.

He's averaged 1.9 goals a game in 2014. Can we talk about why he's missed games this year or doesnt that suit your agenda?

If Waite wants to chase one big final contract after we've stood by him throughout this 3 year deal when he couldn't get himself on the park then he can p*** off. If there is one player on our list that actually owe's us it's him. Not happy!

The club would more than likely be reminding him of this, although, perhaps a little more subtly while negotiations are taking place ;-)

He's averaged 1.9 goals a game in 2014. Can we talk about why he's missed games this year or doesnt that suit your agenda?
My response wasn't to say you're right or wrong. Just total goals doesn't suit the argument in Waite's case.

So much this...

Have been saying this for a while now also.

My response wasn't to say you're right or wrong. Just total goals doesn't suit the argument in Waite's case.

Total goals in a season is the yardstick for forwards. Waite's had his whole career explained away by excuses. Its time he pays back the club for the faith its put in him. Whether he chooses to stay or go seems up to him and I wont be bothered one iota either way.

We have enough avenues to move forward in Henderson and Casboult, with a chance of Watson coming on (he's a solid contested mark, needs to work on his leads) or securing a quality KPF via trades, drafting or fee agency. Our forward line held together alright after Fevs departure, Waite being there or not being there is relatively small in comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he gets three years from someone!
Great top up in $$$ for the future.
Good luck Waitey you've never disappointed us!

Obviously the education system in Victoria has slipped since I was there so I'll spell it out for everyone :

North - 2 Years @ $430 = $860K
Carlton - 1 year @ $350k = $350K

$860K - 350K = $510K
Well this is where it gets interesting because I'm pretty sure we're offering a second year which means you need to get your calculator out again.

Sheik is on a rampage today.

Hope your friend from North is better than your mate in Adelaide. You know, since Menz isn't going to Geelong.

Simply, the rumour is that North are offering a two year deal and the undercurrent here is that we should match them.

I'm not sure that's right but can only speak for myself.

Fine giving Waite one year with a performance trigger point for another but even then a lot depends what we may have on the cards.

Well this is where it gets interesting because I'm pretty sure we're offering a second year which means you need to get your calculator out again.
Why would we? If a 1 year deal with no strings attached is good enough for Juddy...

If NM, or some other club, are cavalier in offering him longevity and financial security then I wouldn't be rushing to pay overs.

Club favourite and all that but re-signing a veteran who has been dropped twice to a multi-year deal is daft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back