Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gather as Higgins is a restricted free agent, we make an offer, Bulldogs can't match it and that's that?

All this Free Agency compensation confuses the hell out of me, considering the Pies got pick 11 for Daisy, and Hawthorn only got pick 19 for Buddy.

And we'll most likely get zero for Waitey.

I'm not sure if he's restricted or unrestricted. I hope he's unrestricted so we don't have to offer an amount that the Dogs refuse to match.

I was of the belief Higgins wasn't after more money, but more so a longer term deal as Dogs were only offering 2 years and not budging.

You have to offer a minimum 2 years to a free agent from another club according to the rules I'm pretty sure.

And we'll most likely get zero for Waitey.

I'm not sure if he's restricted or unrestricted. I hope he's unrestricted so we don't have to offer an amount that the Dogs refuse to match.

I was of the belief Higgins wasn't after more money, but more so a longer term deal as Dogs were only offering 2 years and not budging.

You have to offer a minimum 2 years to a free agent from another club according to the rules I'm pretty sure.

Restricted etsal1

Surely a club wanting to retain a free agent has to meet or come close to length of the contract too.

Like if we offered 50k more but an extra year and the bonus 50k based on if he plays that year surely the dogs have to match the years

If we are assured that any compo pick for Waitey will be late 40s or we won't get any at all, I'm in favour of getting higgins.

But if we are a chance of getting a half decent pick for Waite, would you still do it?

If we are assured that any compo pick for Waitey will be late 40s or we won't get any at all, I'm in favour of getting higgins.

But if we are a chance of getting a half decent pick for Waite, would you still do it?

If we RFA in Higgins and lose Waite, not sure we get anything.

Reckon the same thing happened last year, as we lost Betts and gained Thomas we got nothing compensation wise.

Will be happily corrected.

An effective Higgins for Waite swap is about right. They'll play about the same amount of games next season. :p

If we RFA in Higgins and lose Waite, not sure we get anything.

Reckon the same thing happened last year, as we lost Betts and gained Thomas we got nothing compensation wise.

Will be happily corrected.

This was the case.
Reason I ask is because it has been said once we realised Eddie was gone, we should've taken the compo pick and not got Thomas. Because apparently we need kids more than Thomas.

The same would happen here. IF there was a compo pick for losing Waite, should we get Higgins (who is 26) and lose the pick we could use to draft a kid? (albeit it would be an average pick).

This was the case.
Reason I ask is because it has been said once we realised Eddie was gone, we should've taken the compo pick and not got Thomas. Because apparently we need kids more than Thomas.

The same would happen here. IF there was a compo pick for losing Waite, should we get Higgins (who is 26) and lose the pick we could use to draft a kid? (albeit it would be an average pick).
more years contract does actually mean More Money! lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was the case.

I think we were so hellbent on Daisy, the compo pick was never offered.

Surely we could just trade for Higgins.

This was the case.

For me, Wiggins is a known quantity. Won't be a superstar, but he'll be a solid contributor to the midfield.

Think we'd get a 40-50 at best for Waite. With that, you could get a Sloane/Walters/Murdoch. But by the same token, you could very well get a Marcus Davies.

So long as he doesn't cost much, I'd go for Higgins.

I think we were so hellbent on Daisy, the compo pick was never offered.

Surely we could just trade for Higgins.

It wasn't offered, but obviously we knew it would've been had we not got Daisy.

I don't think we can trade for Higgins - because the Dogs would ask for whatever they'd get as compensation for losing him which has been estimated @ a second rd pick?

For me, Wiggins is a known quantity. Won't be a superstar, but he'll be a solid contributor to the midfield.

Think we'd get a 40-50 at best for Waite. With that, you could get a Sloane/Walters/Murdoch. But by the same token, you could very well get a Marcus Davies.

So long as he doesn't cost much, I'd go for Higgins.
if it doesnt screw our draft picks then fine, i hate quick fixes, thats why we have won 5 premierships since '95, AWESOME

Are people seriously going to be upset if Jarrad decides to take North's deal? Honestly?

His father played over 150 games for Carlton. Jarrad has played over 150 for Carlton (we all know it should be a lot more).

Carlton is in his blood. Can't deny that. He is 31 years old and will be 32 years old at the beginning of next season.

Who are we to begrudge a man his final pay day before he retires?

It would be great for Jarrad to stay with us for one more year, but if he leaves it is another opportunity for somebody else to take.

People were wanting Jarrad sacked years ago... And now we want him to stay just because he can be a one club player?

The way I see it, he is a one club player still. This is purely a business opportunity he cannot say no too.

I for one wish him success no matter his decision, and if it is with North, so be it. I just hope our supporters don't boo someone with such rich history and emotion he has for us.

Remember the week Jarrad played when Vin died? Emotional stuff.

I'll always remember Jarrad as Carlton.

You do know he supported Essendon growing up don't you??

Surely a club wanting to retain a free agent has to meet or come close to length of the contract too.

Like if we offered 50k more but an extra year and the bonus 50k based on if he plays that year surely the dogs have to match the years
I reckon it would be total money they would have have to match

So like

3 years at 300k
Could be matched by 2 at 450K??

Not sure though

if it doesnt screw our draft picks then fine, i hate quick fixes, thats why we have won 5 premierships since '95, AWESOME
LOL he's not a quick fix, get with the times - it's free agency, just because you are improving your best 22 for free doesn't mean it's a quick fix - it's how the game is played.

Dont know any details, source is someone who is involved at another club. Might be BS but i guess we will know soon enough.
Appreciated none the less

OK, so I was pretty bored and ended up doing a rough RUMOUR based best 22...

In: Boyd, T. Mitchell, Higgins
Out: Waite, Robinson, Garlett, Casboult etc.

FB: Buckley Rowe Tuohy
HB: Yarran Jamison Simpson
C: Everitt Cripps Docherty
HF: Thomas Henderson Menzel
FF: Walker Boyd White

Foll: Kreuzer, Murphy, Gibbs

Int: Judd, Carrazzo, T. Mitchell, Higgins

Avg. Age: 25y 8m (Cats, Hawks, Freo, Swans: 26-27y)
Avg. Games: 105 (Cats, Hawks, Freo, Swans: 100-120)

I really like the look of it but we a mid might have to be left out for a ruck man if the sub rule is dropped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back