Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we lose either of those, I will spew. Though I did say I would leave the country if Tony Abbott became PM and that's shown me up to be a big fat liar...:oops:
nah the country is bigger than any politician.

Don't we have room in our salary cap after offloading mclean, robinson, garlett, ect?

Yeah we might have the room, but we'd be paying over his value as clubs always have to do that when convincing players to change clubs. Plus we'd have to give up our first pick plus extras.

Is giving up our first pick, and another young player or pick plus paying 100-150k more than treloar is worth really going to make us better?

I like what the club has been doing at the trade table recently by getting value. Eg doc a former pick12 that was homesick basically for Hampson. Then this year shuffling back in the first round of an even draft for a jaksch and whiley. Those deals just strike me as value for money.

The dogs dealing their best player and captain as well as pick 6 to overpay Boyd is not a value deal imo, we should avoid them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally i am much happier for the club to just start and continue to develop of building/developing our own players. I think we all agreed we paid way overs for Warnock and that is the big issue i have trying to snag an unproven young gun from GWS, you run the risk of paying top dollar for another potential Tom Scully type lemon.

Dangerfield for instance is certainly a player we don't need at this point in time, let other clubs max their cap out trying to sign him, frankly i want us to save our pennies to give Troy Menzel a long term deal ..

Yeah we might have the room, but we'd be paying over his value as clubs always have to do that when convincing players to change clubs. Plus we'd have to give up our first pick plus extras.

Is giving up our first pick, and another young player or pick plus paying 100-150k more than treloar is worth really going to make us better?

I like what the club has been doing at the trade table recently by getting value. Eg doc a former pick12 that was homesick basically for Hampson. Then this year shuffling back in the first round of an even draft for a jaksch and whiley. Those deals just strike me as value for money.

The dogs dealing their best player and captain as well as pick 6 to overpay Boyd is not a value deal imo, we should avoid them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Honestly think Treloar is worth a first & second round pick, a nice Judd replacement.

Honestly think Treloar is worth a first & second round pick, a nice Judd replacement.

The club would be irresponsible to do a trade like that, especially if we finish around the bottom 6 again next season .. You'd only do that type of deal for a Jez Cameron or a Jon Patton

Doesn't seem like the club will be active in next year's trade/free agency period anyway from what I've read in the past week or so.

The club would be irresponsible to do a trade like that, especially if we finish around the bottom 6 again next season .. You'd only do that type of deal for a Jez Cameron or a Jon Patton

Doesn't seem like the club will be active in next year's trade/free agency period anyway from what I've read in the past week or so.
Maybe I just rate Treloar too high

That depends on who we rate in next years draft and for who may be available at those selections.
With Treloar you'd know you have a bird in hand.

Much too early to anticipate what may happen as we're just dealing with numbers and not players right now.

Our first and second for Treloar would be an amazing deal, what are you guys on!?

Just how low down do you see us finishing next year?

There are no immediate examples where let's say a pick around #10 & #30, have been that amazing where you wouldn't swap them for a bona-fide star.
Maybe Collingwood with Sidebottom and Beams but again chances may be against you.

As I said, Treloar would be a pretty good bird to have in hand.....

Time to get Adelaide back for always claiming Gibbs was meant to be theirs....even if Gibbs is just being cheeky.

I remember Sando said this time last year that they're going to bring Gibbs home because his fate was to be a Crow. I hope (if Paddy stays) that he waits until the last minute to sign.

I don't feel comfortable with clubs like us, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond etc circling around GWS and trying to poach all their young Vic kids home, don't really think its in the spirit of the game (least for national interests)

Frankly I'd be much happier if we could after someone like Ollie Wines (aware he re-signed) from more stronger, well established interstate clubs.

Its reaching a point where i think the AFL have to step in and limit the amount of players any club can lure from GWS and the Suns over a 5 year period (say 2 max)

The AFL have invested millions into those clubs, they really shouldn't be used as development camp clubs by wealthy Victorian clubs. Still plenty of young talent going around in the drafts.

Happy we got Jaksch and Whiley, but reckon we need to ease up on the GWS player raids TBH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't feel comfortable with clubs like us, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond etc circling around GWS and trying to poach all their young Vic kids home, don't really think its in the spirit of the game (least for national interests)

Frankly I'd be much happier if we could after someone like Ollie Wines (aware he re-signed) from more stronger, well established interstate clubs.

Its reaching a point where i think the AFL have to step in and limit the amount of players any club can lure from GWS and the Suns over a 5 year period (say 2 max)

The AFL have invested millions into those clubs, they really shouldn't be used as development camp clubs by wealthy Victorian clubs. Still plenty of young talent going around in the drafts.

Happy we got Jaksch and Whiley, but reckon we need to ease up on the GWS player raids TBH
Nice sentiments, but we need to be cut throat. If there's an opportunity then I hope the CFC grab it with both hands. Nice guys finish last

Let's be honest, GWS will do well to exist in 10 years anyway

The players asked for this and the AFL agreed, if we don't do our best to gain as much for our club as possible, it won't make other clubs back off our players. It would be negligent for us not to explore all options.

If the AFL put limits on trading with GWS for their players it would also restrict them from getting established players from other clubs. This will not help GWS in the long term either.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-14/hes-welcome-to-play-here

Dangerfield to the Blues?
I'm all for it.

"The Blues are expected to have the necessary space in their salary cap to plan their raids."
Cant say i see it happening. The romance if going to Geelong is too high and if not them I think there will be another club who are closer to a flag or will offer more money. Still, stranger things have happened. You have to wonder what Judd is on and how much that alleviates. Id hazard to guess Judds on 500k and Dangerfield will be worth around 800k based on nothing other that gut feel.

I actually left Ward off the list because he was part of the first wave. I understand in setting them up, they needed some concessions, and they were granted that by the afl....its their actions of going hard for players like Buddy Franklin after they were set up that leaves me with no sympathy for their position.

We are Carlton, **** the rest

*Mod edit: don't avoid the swear filter

Cant say i see it happening. The romance if going to Geelong is too high and if not them I think there will be another club who are closer to a flag or will offer more money. Still, stranger things have happened. You have to wonder what Judd is on and how much that alleviates. Id hazard to guess Judds on 500k and Dangerfield will be worth around 800k based on nothing other that gut feel.

Danger will get more than 1mil a year easily

Nah. Franklin is on 1.1m a year. Thats the benchmark and he is not worth more than Franklin.

Yeah but he got a 9 year deal that will take him to 36.

Danger is already on like 700 now. I'm certain he'll get 5 mil over 5 years. Kouta got that 15 years ago.

If he stays with the Crows or takes less to goto geelong he might take under, but the highest bidder would be offering 1mil fo sho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but he got a 9 year deal that will take him to 36.

Danger is already on like 700 now. I'm certain he'll get 5 mil over 5 years. Kouta got that 15 years ago.

If he stays with the Crows or takes less to goto geelong he might take under, but the highest bidder would be offering 1mil fo sho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Koutas contract was back in 2003, around an era where we weren't exactly doing things by the books. Franklin is on 1.1m per year for 9 years, period. At which point he decides he can't go on he severs that contract and he will stop being paid, but he is still only on $1.1m per year. The difference is he is guaranteed that amount up to the age should he go to that age, which seems unlikely.

Remains to be seen but I doubt Dangerfield will exceed $1m per year. Maybe 900k, but I feel like 800k is more likely. I think Frawley was at that market value and I think clubs will be reluctant to invest more than that much in a player except for a desperate club like a Bulldogs or Melbourne who really need marquee players to build their club around which would warrant that $1m price tage. Dangerfield seems set to head to a club that is going to garner success within that next contract period and he will maybe take a cut to that 800k figure to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back