Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a rumour: This team will win the premiership in 2013, regardless of who the coach is

Scotland Jamison Laidler
Armfield Henderson Yarran
Waite Gibbs Simpson
Walker Casboult Murphy
Betts Hampson Garlett
Kreuzer Judd Carrazzo
Watson Robinson Mclean Bootsma (sub)

Source? ;)

I'd be ecstatic if we landed Cloke.

On a 3 year deal at $450,000 per year.
You are right on the money.
Cloke seems great right now because you need a key position forward but when hes being paid a mil a year and other blokes start playing better and coming out of contract it will hurt.
He cant handle the pressure at Collingwood now can you imagine paying him 5 mil for 5 years and he doesn't perform? I dont think there would be too many happy Carlton people out there.

Hes only good if you can get him cheap.
If hes worth a mil a year then buddy is worth 6mil a year. As for Malthouse hes a good coach but alot of it was the people around him ,watters,neeld etc that took it to the next level but none the less if ratts goes hes your man. Good luck.

And we just fired a coach who into his 5th season could only get us to maybe 10th on the ladder and who guided us to a loss against Gold Coast with 13 of their best 22 out when a finals spot hinged on the game.

See I too can put things in a certain way to suit my argument ;)

Yes, but yours carries FAR less weight when all is said and done. When given a relatively healthy list Ratten has not failed. Not once. If anything, he has surpassed reasonable expectations.

Five years is long enough surely to show at least something. Time for a change !

Have we not improved every single year except this one?

Ratten made some moves at the start of last season that turned us into a better team. Off the top of my head I remember he threw Walker forward, Yarran off half back and gave him the licence to take the game on, he used Thornton to good affect as a swing man and I don't ever recall one game except the Bulldogs and West Coast (at Etihad) games where we didn't show fight. 2 games is acceptable for me, it's a long season and so there's bound to be a couple of bad games.

The key thing is that I don't ever recall Ratts pumping up their tyres last year, it was more of a one week at a time approach iinm. This year there was top 4 talk, talk about how Gibbs was going to be the next big thing, talk about us being dangerous if we make the finals. Each time they started to believe this, they got ahead of themselves. Then once they did, he didn't take a firm approach and drop the big name players when they didn't put in, instead he persisted with them and they kept letting down, why? Because they felt no pressure to keep their spots.

Those are the 2 mistakes I believe he made this year, but I respect Ratts and so I don't think he's going to be stupid and not learn from it. Don't forget he's dropped Scotland and Stevens in the past and Carrazzo too I believe and (apart from Stevo who retired) I reckon that was the best thing for them. Look at the improvement in Scotland and Carrazzo.

Ratts has done a lot of good things in his 5 years here, he took us from 15th to making the finals 2 years later. Then he lost his best key forward and had to reshuffle the forward line because of it. We still made finals the next year (knocking off the premiers and runner ups in convincing fashion along the way). Then 2011, his second season without Fev and it seemed like we never needed him, we were winning games that we never usually would and were competitive (as I've already said) for most of the season.

Don't forget that. If you think we could've won the premiership this year with the injuries we had you're crazy. What I'm pissed off at is the number of games where we lacked intensity and effort and sorry, but the whole blame can't be put on Ratts only some of it. But I still think he deserves more time. Let him finish off his contract then make the choice whether to keep him or not. If we have another year where we show little effort in too many games THEN you could make the case to axe him.

To all those who want Ratts replaced... What are you going to do if the club sticks with him?
I am going to stick with the club, Pay my "overly expensive membership"(that's what the wife says) just like I did when we got caught cheating, finished with spoons and left our spiritual home for a carpark.
That's what real members do as they support the club which has also given so much enjoyment over the years.
My son also loves the club and it doesn't matter who coaches, who plays and how mant games we win.
PS: I think he should stay ffor the length of his contract.
BLUE FOREVER:D

Have we not improved every single year except this one?

Ratten made some moves at the start of last season that turned us into a better team. Off the top of my head I remember he threw Walker forward, Yarran off half back and gave him the licence to take the game on, he used Thornton to good affect as a swing man and I don't ever recall one game except the Bulldogs and West Coast (at Etihad) games where we didn't show fight. 2 games is acceptable for me, it's a long season and so there's bound to be a couple of bad games.

The key thing is that I don't ever recall Ratts pumping up their tyres last year, it was more of a one week at a time approach iinm. This year there was top 4 talk, talk about how Gibbs was going to be the next big thing, talk about us being dangerous if we make the finals. Each time they started to believe this, they got ahead of themselves. Then once they did, he didn't take a firm approach and drop the big name players when they didn't put in, instead he persisted with them and they kept letting down, why? Because they felt no pressure to keep their spots.

Those are the 2 mistakes I believe he made this year, but I respect Ratts and so I don't think he's going to be stupid and not learn from it. Don't forget he's dropped Scotland and Stevens in the past and Carrazzo too I believe and (apart from Stevo who retired) I reckon that was the best thing for them. Look at the improvement in Scotland and Carrazzo.

Ratts has done a lot of good things in his 5 years here, he took us from 15th to making the finals 2 years later. Then he lost his best key forward and had to reshuffle the forward line because of it. We still made finals the next year (knocking off the premiers and runner ups in convincing fashion along the way). Then 2011, his second season without Fev and it seemed like we never needed him, we were winning games that we never usually would and were competitive (as I've already said) for most of the season.

Don't forget that. If you think we could've won the premiership this year with the injuries we had you're crazy. What I'm pissed off at is the number of games where we lacked intensity and effort and sorry, but the whole blame can't be put on Ratts only some of it. But I still think he deserves more time. Let him finish off his contract then make the choice whether to keep him or not. If we have another year where we show little effort in too many games THEN you could make the case to axe him.

I'm just going to go on the record as saying 2009-2010 was not an improvement.

But hey don't let facts get in the way of a good story chief

I don't understand people trying to talk down Malthouses achievements as a coach...you might be able to argue that he inherited talent at WC but he still had to get them together to win flags (one could argue that would be exactly the challenge in front of him at Carlton.)

I think what he achieved in 2001 and 2002 is being underrated too...go back and look at those sides - there some very, very limited footballers in there and he almost stole a flag from the Greatest Team Of All Time.

He also deserves credit for the side he built more recently. A Flag, a GF and a two preliminary finals in the last 5 years.

That is a long period of sustained success and he has a proven track record of managing successful sides over multiple eras/generations of players. Unlike a lot of coaches, he's also proven that he can adapt to changes in the game.

This isn't a pro MM/anti Ratts post, I just don't get how people can talk MM down.

I'm just going to go on the record as saying 2009-2010 was not an improvement.

But hey don't let facts get in the way of a good story chief
If you concentrate on the 'w' column only, no.

However our defence improved markedly and we managed to come up with a forward structure from scratch to cater for the loss of Fev. We were roundly tipped to miss finals on the back of the loss of Fev.

Considering the upheaval, I consider that season to be an improvement.

Alright, so lets do the maths on this. I just looked at our statutory accounts for the club for lasy year. Net profit was $742k and $750k of that comes from grant money - so technically the club was actually in a loss position
So lets assume we make the same profit - they would be paying Malthouse $800,000 minimum + at least two new assistants at about $150,000 each. Thats puts the club in a loss position of minimum, not including grant money of over $1m. Plus the club still has large debt committments. Then if the Malthouse experiment doesnt work, membership goes down = less revenue. You are forced to pay out Ratten and some of his assistants contracts for terminating prematurely so there is no financial relief there

If this move goes wrong - the club will be financially crippled. And if anyone says Jeannie Pratt or Visy will cover our costs I will vomit. That is no way to run a club. Massive gamble. Everyone seems to think Malthouse = guaranteed premiership.......

You forgot pokies revenue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggest you spend less time in the Rumour File thread then Dinger. :p

Now seems almost certain that MM will be at Carlton - and within 2 weeks at that. Feel really sorry for Ratts - has been shit out of luck this year but losing that game on Saturday was always going to be pure poison in the current circumstance - and rightly so.

As for MM, no doubt he has his weaknesses both as a coach and a person (don't we all?) but he's probably just the ultra-experienced, hard-arse that this list needs to HTFU mentally. We know their best is very good, they must now learn that this level of focus and discipline is required every week, whether playing a half-arsed Gold Coast team or a rampaging Hawks looking to steamroll over the top of us (again!!). We are serious about winning this bloody thing aren't we!?

We need someone brave enough to drop Gibbs next time he turns in one of those insipid performances - i think MM would certainly stick pretty thick to his 'non-negotiables'. Whether a fan or not, you've got to admit he carries 'authority'. Many of our blokes i suspect may benefit from receiving the message from a figure of greater authority right now.

As for Cloke - those who reject his capacity to instantly make us a genuine flag threat may be a little too focused on just his recent form or that innate Carltonian whispering, 'yeh but he's still a dumb-as-dog-shit himbo with a stupid bloody Angel Wings metaphor tatooed across his back'.

The bloke is clearly distracted - and even a little dispirited - right atm. He's been the best contested mark in the comp for years now - a true monster in the one-on-ones. Put him up forward with Waite, Eddie, Jeffy and AW1 and our structure is dynamic. He's also a truly durable player - another important ingredient our current playing list badly lacks at present.

Is he worth $1 mil p/a? No - probably not even based on 2011 form - but that extra $100-200K p/a is what's likely needed to see him out of Collingwood. Will he have a MASSIVE point to prove if he does move? You bet! Would any list management issues a move to Carlton may present be well and truly worth it IF his presence was to propel us to a flag in the next couple of years (before we lose Judd/Waite/Simmo/Scotto)? You betcha!! :thumbsu:

Great post, even the part about staying off the rumour thread ; )

Mark Williams and Malthouse wow this couldn't be more exciting if true

Can't happen Williams is contracted to be assistant in 2013 to the Giants. Contractually it can't happen, the only way the Giants would let go of Williams is if he can get the head coaching position at a club.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Can't happen Williams is contracted to be assistant in 2013 to the Giants. Contractually it can't happen, the only way the Giants would let go of Williams is if he can get the head coaching position at a club.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
If he wanted to go he'd go. They just wouldn't pay his final year. He's not head coach so I don't think they would give a toss.

Either way it will be bitter sweet IMO.
If we get Mick, we get a proven AFL coach who would be considered one of the best ever.
But we lose a club champion, who given more time, could prove to be a bloody brilliant coach.

If we keep Ratts, I'll be happy. But we miss out on getting someone as good as MM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back