Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

For the love god don't mention witches hats. Saw enough Hawk fans sporting those on Friday night to last me forever.

They did us a favour at least took the Dogs out now can Brisbane lose next week or the prelim thanks

Good start by Brisbane and then started to play like show ponies and let Carlton get their tails up. Plus too many of their players are suspect in front of goal and it will come back to bite them eventually.

We can’t talk have you seen our blokes kicking at goal? We are lucky gws were worse

Adams needs to come in. We need that contested beast to feed it out to our outside runners. Based on form, Jmac has to come out. We can't afford to have underdone players come into the side. There are only 2 games left and I think Jmac needs more than that to reach his best.

Sorry to intrude would be ok seeing u guys win the flag but would be horrific if the cats do so I'm cheering for you and I think you can destroy them if you meet in the granny. But as far as the prelim goes you would be better off to play the Hawks I think the smaller scg won't suit their style they will feel trapped in. Whereas port like the scg it suits their play and they for some reason are a better side away from adelaide too

Wouldn't surprise me to see Roberts as Sub, if everyone else is fit. He really struggled in the second half, like the pace of a final hit him hard. But he has runs on the board after a great couple of months, and a terrific season overall.

Making him sub chnages the role of Florent and Lloyd, not to mention the great form.

It would be surprising, thought on replay he was better than I thought live.

Congrats on the win!!! Not gonna lie was going for the giants just cause I’d love to see them win their first GF but you guys came back amazingly and that’s the mentality of a winner.

Really hope the hawks get up against port because they don’t look like a true contender to play you in a PF. Don’t think we’d win but would love to see our young stars go head to head against guys like Papley, Heeney, Gulden, Warner etc and would be cool to see our growth against you blokes who torched us fairly this year.

Good luck rest of the way and hope to play your mob in 2 weeks

I still think we are missing:

1. Another pressure player. I just think we need guys buzzing around causing chaos. That's the name of the game in the current era of footy. Ground balls inside 50 were absolute keys in the first week of finals and we're a bit Rowbottom, Papley or bust in this regard. It was no surprise we looked better as soon as we injected another such player in Campbell into the game. I would seriously consider breaking from the three-talls that have served us well for years now, just to get a player like Campbell or even Cleary in the starting 22. So maybe an Amartey, who was disappointing yesterday and has been for a while now, needs to come out to allow this. Or maybe even a medium like Parker. Will the world end if we go smaller inside 50?

Ins for consideration = Campbell, Cleary
Outs for consideration = Amartey, Parker

2. Another hard nut. We have just gotta be tougher and stronger in the contest. Need more guys prepared to put their head over the ball, attack a ball at full pace, and for gods sake, stick a bloody tackle! It feels like we are Heeney, Rowbottom or bust in this regard, particularly around the stoppages. I don't love the ball in Adams' hands, but he is used to the hard yakka, and is most comfortable when doing the hard yakka, and that is surely more needed than the plethora of outside flanker types we have. Those guys are in the team for their speed and skill, but feels like in high intensity games where the pressure is on, they don't get to use it much anyway. Lloyd was huge yesterday, Jordon, Florent & Roberts all good enough. So I would maybe ask the question of McInerney and is he going to be a strong contributor going forward this September. I mentioned Parker as a potential out in regards to lacking speed and pressure, but he is tough and hard at the contest at least, so maybe that saves him.

Ins for consideration = Adams
Outs for consideration = McInerney

Just my thoughts.

Feel free to whack me. I know we have had this setup all season, but I am worried about this 3 tall forward set up we have. I feel our midfield needs to play out of their skin
I still think we are missing:

1. Another pressure player. I just think we need guys buzzing around causing chaos. That's the name of the game in the current era of footy. Ground balls inside 50 were absolute keys in the first week of finals and we're a bit Rowbottom, Papley or bust in this regard. It was no surprise we looked better as soon as we injected another such player in Campbell into the game. I would seriously consider breaking from the three-talls that have served us well for years now, just to get a player like Campbell or even Cleary in the starting 22. So maybe an Amartey, who was disappointing yesterday and has been for a while now, needs to come out to allow this. Or maybe even a medium like Parker. Will the world end if we go smaller inside 50?

Ins for consideration = Campbell, Cleary
Outs for consideration = Amartey, Parker

2. Another hard nut. We have just gotta be tougher and stronger in the contest. Need more guys prepared to put their head over the ball, attack a ball at full pace, and for gods sake, stick a bloody tackle! It feels like we are Heeney, Rowbottom or bust in this regard, particularly around the stoppages. I don't love the ball in Adams' hands, but he is used to the hard yakka, and is most comfortable when doing the hard yakka, and that is surely more needed than the plethora of outside flanker types we have. Those guys are in the team for their speed and skill, but feels like in high intensity games where the pressure is on, they don't get to use it much anyway. Lloyd was huge yesterday, Jordon, Florent & Roberts all good enough. So I would maybe ask the question of McInerney and is he going to be a strong contributor going forward this September. I mentioned Parker as a potential out in regards to lacking speed and pressure, but he is tough and hard at the contest at least, so maybe that saves him.

Ins for consideration = Adams
Outs for consideration = McInerney

Just my thoughts.
Agreed. But I am hesitant to drop Parker 😉 If we are going to have a 3 tall forward setup then we got to get some contested marks out of them. Did we even get any out of them yesterday?

Feel free to whack me. I know we have had this setup all season, but I am worried about this 3 tall forward set up we have. I feel our midfield needs to play out of their skin

Agreed. But I am hesitant to drop Parker 😉 If we are going to have a 3 tall forward setup then we got to get some contested marks out of them. Did we even get any out of them yesterday?
Well I've been fairly consistent all year that if we are gonna play the three talls, we need more ground level forwards crumbing and pressuring at their feet. Too many times yesterday - when the talls weren't being outmarked - they were bringing the ball to ground and it was just Giants defenders everywhere, gathering and going with ease. I just don't think that is sustainable in the next one, hopefully two, game.

I think I would like to play Port, redeem for the insipid performance at AO a few weeks back and put the nail in Ken's coaching tenure. However Port are our bogey team, physically and mentally and we have had the Hawks measure recently (although they are the form team).

Either way, I think we will deserve that Grand Final appearance if we beat either of these two sides considering the narrative that has surrounded each of them this season.

I thought Adam's was unlucky to be dropped and his name would definitely be in contention for the PF. JMac was underdone but it isn't a like for like replacement. Interesting selection decision.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I don't think our 3 talls are working particularly well, I think it is essential to our structure.
At the moment, the way to beat us is to 1) take the corridor off us, and then 2) apply manic pressure to the ball carrier. This means that our only option is to dump kick or go long down the line which means we need to have talls there to at least bring a contest. If we replace Amartey with a small or medium then it allows the opposition tall defenders to all shuffle one player down so that there will eventually be a height mismatch and they have someone free to intercept all of the abovementioned kicks. We would get slaughtered.
Amartey's saving grace at the moment is that he follows up when the ball goes to ground and he tackles. He wouldn't know what a contested mark was if it hit him in the face, but he does pressure the defenders.
I just wish he would kick more goals.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

I expect the Hawks will run rings around Port next week.

The next week, they will give us the fright of our lives in the Preliminary. Sam Mitchell knows a thing or two about winning finals, and this team plays in his image.

They have the legs to go with us, but they'll need James Sicily's shoulder to hold together.

Our Prelim selections -up forward, make a contest, bring it to ground and lock it in. A role for Cleary or Adams, surely.

Occams Razor tells you that in a world of competing ideas, the best answer is the simplest.

That’s why winning the prelim is so important. Some saying Geelong prelim an easier path but that assumes you beat the Lions. This ain’t no ordinary 5th place team. Hiding in plain sight, I’d actually prefer GWS beat them.

On our side of the draw, and depending on who wins, we have to consider some changes.

It took JMac a year to get back to speed after his first knee injury so for mine he is an out. No issue in playing him last night to see how he’d go.

Campbell must start then it’s a toss up between Cleary and Adams. Campbell had been in career best form and Cleary was also on fire. I’m leaning towards Cleary given his leg speed will be needed to match the hawks if it’s them.

and I think we have the easier side of the draw. Port don’t worry me and we flogged the Hawks by 76 at the MCG.

I like fast players.

We can’t talk have you seen our blokes kicking at goal? We are lucky gws were worse
True. There's a difference between missing because of a skill error and missing because you are being a selfish tool though. That was the most impressive thing for me about Papley and Warner's last quarters there was no selfish I can do this myself which both can tend to do it was all about attacking the contest, winning the ball making space and then giving the first option. How many times would you be able to say Papley has been involved in 4 goals in a quarter, 3 of them because he gave instinctive first handballs with no hesitation?

This is what Brisbane were doing in the first half and why they were leading by so much. There's a reason Joe Daniher faded out the game after quarter time, because after that every time he got the ball it became all about Joe Daniher. We can all have a laugh at Bailey missing a goal from the goal square because he missed his boot but the player to blame for that is Loman. Was in space and waited for the ball to bounce instead of taking 2 steps forward and taking a chest mark. Delays giving the handball and gives the Carlton defence time to get there and put pressure on. Yes Bailey should have still kicked the goal, but one is a skill error, one is selfishness. As a coach myself I know which one I'm more frustrated with.

Still the worst miss of the round has to be JUH. Takes a big pack mark and misses a relatively easy shot at goal because he rushed himself and is too busy looking at the replay telling everyone how good he is. Can guarantee you the reason for that miss would have annoyed Beveridge more than the miss itself.

I know a few are down on Amartey but I thought he really cracked in, and just couldn't get on the end of it against one of the best defences in the comp.

And it's just one moment, but the decision to break off from Paps and put that small nudge on Taylor to get himself open was pretty amazing.

I just can't see us changing our structure at this stage of the year.

In: Sheldrick

😏 sorry…. force of habit. And it could be my last chance to say it this season.

In a more serious note: it’s just who goes out for Campbell.
I have no clue.

If Sheldrick could come in and be the best version of himself it's actually not a bad idea at all.

Wish there was a ressies game this weekend for Jmac to have a run in

I know a few are down on Amartey but I thought he really cracked in, and just couldn't get on the end of it against one of the best defences in the comp.

And it's just one moment, but the decision to break off from Paps and put that small nudge on Taylor to get himself open was pretty amazing.

I just can't see us changing our structure at this stage of the year.

I think so as well rightly or wrongly its probably to late for any significant change

JMac for Adams would be my only change with him as the sub

I think Parker still plays an important role with midfield bursts and with some cleaner entries will cause havoc with opposition defenses.

Papley gives us something no one else really can, Jmac at his best is similar, it's a tough call to ignore that. But we don't know how he is medically. But you can always sub him off again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back