Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

We really need Jmac fit and firing he makes such a difference. Quick, good user , pray to the footy gods he gets fit.

I don't know I'm not worried in the slightest about the team (this week)

It’s Tuesday, I’m bored so here are the 5 reasons the Hawks could beat us if we meet in the Prelim:

Been at this for hours, can’t think of any, damn writers block.

JHWF - arbiter of speed and struggling author.
I can help.

1. Stevic
2. Gianfagna
3. Meredith

We really need Jmac fit and firing he makes such a difference. Quick, good user , pray to the footy gods he gets fit.

I don't know I'm not worried in the slightest about the team (this week)
We're not gonna get that in 4 weeks let alone 2

There once was a Swan named Mills,
Whose footy skills gave fans the chills,
But with gastro, he blew,
And his shorts filled with poo,
Next game we hope no more spills!
Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

I felt like Roberts was a little overawed, which I wasn't expecting given he'd performed well under difficult circumstances in the past. His form suggests he should keep his spot, but would need to improve in the prelim to keep his spot if we win through to the GF.

On the other hand, Adams is a known quantity who has performed in big games. So I'd say he's putting a bit of pressure on Roberts if Horse was considering a change. Obviously, I'm not suggesting it's a like for like replacement so would involve shuffling the decks.

Playing JMac was a mistake. I don't know the significance of his injury and I'm not sure whether 2 weeks will make a difference, but he was well off the pace, and if he's not capable of getting back to full fitness (or close to), then the tough call needs to be made. The coaches, medical and fitness staff need to earn their money and make the right call, because JMac was a long way off justifying his inclusion. And with Adams (and Fox as a secondary option) ready to take their opportunity, we can't afford to carry an unfit JMac. Particularly if we cop an early injury, this is a call that could blow up in our faces.

The 3 talls still aren't working very well, but I'm not sure we're going to change that at this stage. One of the problems with our set up, is McLean is our most capable marking target, but he's being used to support Grundy (understandably), it's just that McDonald & Amartey haven't given us much. We just have to back the structure in and hope that they manage to have a bit more scoreboard impact. Having Paps back in the team helps. And our mids have continued to contribute, so we'll just have to continue to share the load and see how far it takes us.

We're every chance to go all the way. I just hope we see a couple of cameos along the way to help shoulder some of the scoring load.

Plenty of upside in this group. I hope we come out firing in the prelim and build a nice buffer and play the game on our terms.

not convinced of port's demise yet ... it's a notorious trap to fall into, assuming the bottom four winning team will beat the top four losing team in the second week of finals ...
port were abysmal, but it's a new game, they're at home, hinkley has a weird record of rebounding and hawthorn are due to hit a wall themselves
I reckon Hawthorn will destroy Port. All the teams left can challenge Hawthorns midfield but it’s everywhere else that Port have a problem. I just don’t see Port’s forward line being able to maintain enough forward pressure over 4 quarters to stifle their ball movement from D50. Port might be able to contain it for a half, but once Hawthorn gets their intercept-switch game going it’s all over.

This is why I reckon we question if we play 3 talls against them in the forward line, with the strategy to expose them for height by winning F50 contested marks. Adelaide and Bulldogs tried this against them and both ended up witches hats. They’re undersized but it’s weapon for them imo. I reckon we go with 2 talls and someone that can play defensive role on Sicily.

I reckon Hawthorn will destroy Port. All the teams left can challenge Hawthorns midfield but it’s everywhere else that Port have a problem. I just don’t see Port’s forward line being able to maintain enough forward pressure over 4 quarters to stifle their ball movement from D50. Port might be able to contain it for a half, but once Hawthorn gets their intercept-switch game going it’s all over.

This is why I reckon we question if we play 3 talls against them in the forward line, with the strategy to expose them for height by winning F50 contested marks. Adelaide and Bulldogs tried this against them and both ended up witches hats. They’re undersized but it’s weapon for them imo. I reckon we go with 2 talls and someone that can play defensive role on Sicily.
Port have had one bad game amongst a pretty good run of form. I think hawthorn will get dumped this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have had one bad game amongst a pretty good run of form. I think hawthorn will get dumped this week.
Hawks played the GF last week. Their run screams of ours in 2017. Plus people tend to overrate the Elimination final winners and underrate the QF losers

I know you're all hanging our for a weather forecast.

At this point. Looks quite cold and windy.

One of the most significant cold fronts of the season will roll in from the SW.
With decent snowfalls.
During Friday.

That usually results in cold, clear and blustery conditions at the SCG.

Between Ticky’s best Eeyore impression, caesar’s 101 Damnations and Punts (no explanation needed) I am running the bath and plugging the toaster in as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep I hear you DA, unbelievable!

I felt like Roberts was a little overawed, which I wasn't expecting given he'd performed well under difficult circumstances in the past. His form suggests he should keep his spot, but would need to improve in the prelim to keep his spot if we win through to the GF.

On the other hand, Adams is a known quantity who has performed in big games. So I'd say he's putting a bit of pressure on Roberts if Horse was considering a change. Obviously, I'm not suggesting it's a like for like replacement so would involve shuffling the decks.

Playing JMac was a mistake. I don't know the significance of his injury and I'm not sure whether 2 weeks will make a difference, but he was well off the pace, and if he's not capable of getting back to full fitness (or close to), then the tough call needs to be made. The coaches, medical and fitness staff need to earn their money and make the right call, because JMac was a long way off justifying his inclusion. And with Adams (and Fox as a secondary option) ready to take their opportunity, we can't afford to carry an unfit JMac. Particularly if we cop an early injury, this is a call that could blow up in our faces.

The 3 talls still aren't working very well, but I'm not sure we're going to change that at this stage. One of the problems with our set up, is McLean is our most capable marking target, but he's being used to support Grundy (understandably), it's just that McDonald & Amartey haven't given us much. We just have to back the structure in and hope that they manage to have a bit more scoreboard impact. Having Paps back in the team helps. And our mids have continued to contribute, so we'll just have to continue to share the load and see how far it takes us.

We're every chance to go all the way. I just hope we see a couple of cameos along the way to help shoulder some of the scoring load.

Plenty of upside in this group. I hope we come out firing in the prelim and build a nice buffer and play the game on our terms.
Regarding Roberts, from memory he went through a pretty bad form slump after the Round 12 bye and may have even be dropped (or was he "rested"?). He came good later in the season but maybe weeks off don't suit him.

I think you may have taken a wrong turn at the unpopular opinions thread :p

Team is the highest scoring in the league .

Is the team perfect- No

Are the talls superstars- no

But are they doing their job and is it working - yes

Not sure what the constant issue is really at the end of the Day.

They will combine for over 100 goals this year , plus whatever work they do to help Hayward Paps and the mids score.

Unfortunately you also need to play someone athletic on weddle as well. My kid used to play him when he was about 160cm in under 15/16 and he was a very good midfielder and ridiculously good runner (was an excellent cross country runner as well). He hasnt lost the running but hes now like 194cm tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back