Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jmac plays the prelim.

Absolutely.

He will be a mile better for the run and has two more weeks of training. Feel people are forgetting how good this bloke is and when we were firing he was a MASSIVE reason why.

We legitimately have a few of the most miserable supporters on this forum. It’s embarrassing some of this tripe they come up with.

1726077842294.jpeg

2022 reality.

This was tripe.
80 point loss in a GF.
I’m still bitter over this.

Nice win last week.
Sure celebrate big.
But now win the GF or don’t make it at all because 3 losses in a row are nothing to celebrate.

I believe we should win as we are clearly the best team in it.
So I’m just waiting for that post game celebration.

Yes I do but we need 4 quarters of ruthless footy like the Cats played.

No nonsense. Just got on with the job.

Your first line is exactly what we need. 4 quarters and not 2 and a bit like last week.

I think... yes and no.

I agree that it's very hard to judge his game compared to others when he was clearly significantly fresher than anyone else on the ground, plus he came on when GWS looked dead and out on their legs and we were well on top. Maybe if he'd played in the first half when GWS were absolutely brutal he might've pooped his pants like most of the others.

On the other hand, I think he can bring exactly more of what we need. Someone who can hit a ground ball or a player in the forward half at full speed. I don't know if we are too tall in the forward 50, but we are definitely lacking speed and class when it hits the deck inside 50.
This comment is not directed at you, but at the general opinion that GWS played better than us in that game... which seems prevalent on this board and with most game commentators.

GWS did not play better than us, they lost... by exactly one goal!

Sure, they led for most of the game... their pressure was outstanding for the first half, but they could not sustain it and we came home strong. We, who never let the lead get more than 4 goals, and who are know for our 5 goal bursts, were able to sustain our game for the entire 4 quarters. Did we intend to let them lead? Of course not, but we held them in check, knowing our turn would surely come. Their game plan required shutting down several of our best players, and they did an outstanding job for the first half; but they could not sustain it for the full game. Sure they missed some easy shots, but so did we... exactly the same amount as them.

Did they come close? Yes they did, and it was a brilliant game, but we did not poop our pants... we played an outstanding game in an outstanding match, and suggesting that anyone out there pooped their pants or shit the bed is disrespectful and downright demeaning when talking about one of the best games of the last 5 years!

1726077842294.jpeg

2022 reality.

This was tripe.
80 point loss in a GF.
I’m still bitter over this.

Nice win last week.
Sure celebrate big.
But now win the GF or don’t make it at all because 3 losses in a row are nothing to celebrate.

I believe we should win as we are clearly the best team in it.
So I’m just waiting for that post game celebration.
No offense Tedeski, but this is just rubbish!

The only way to win a GF is to dare to lose... put everything on the line, leave it all out there and if the best you can muster on that given day is enough, you win. If it's not, you lose... and given our game style, sometimes by quite a big margin. It's not about being the best team in the competition, it's about being the best team on the day.

You have to be willing to give it your best and perhaps have 3 losses in row... otherwise why the hell are you playing? Why are you in an AFL team, why are you playing sport?

I'd seriously consider pushing J-Mac into Mills' position, Campbell to start and play wing/forward, Fox to be sub.
I have no idea where J-Mac was playing on the weekend.
He seemed to be just wandering around the forward line.
Kicked two worm burners. Then got subbed off.

I have no idea where J-Mac was playing on the weekend.
He seemed to be just wandering around the forward line.
Kicked two worm burners. Then got subbed off.

You make a fair point. Nominally he played right wing. He had a bad game but I’m willing to give him a mulligan. He has played enough in the back 7 to know that role and has the pace and competitiveness to play on smalls, especially if Hawks get through to us.

It's amazing that people expect AFL players to play hurt all season but once it's a GF they can only play if 100% fit.

Hawkins for example played in the 22 GF with a serious injury but no-one complained because of the result.

I suspect if you go back to 2005/12 etc there were multiple Swans hurt/injured who played and its acceptable as they won

This comment is not directed at you, but at the general opinion that GWS played better than us in that game... which seems prevalent on this board and with most game commentators.

Sure, they led for most of the game... their pressure was outstanding for the first half, but they could not sustain it and we came home strong. We, who never let the lead get more than 4 goals, and who are know for our 5 goal bursts, were able to sustain our game for the entire 4 quarters. Did we intend to let them lead? Of course not, but we held them in check, knowing our turn would surely come. Their game plan required shutting down several of our best players, and they did an outstanding job for the first half; but they could not sustain it for the full game. Sure they missed some easy shots, but so did we... exactly the same amount as them.

Did they come close? Yes they did, and it was a brilliant game, but we did not poop our pants... we played an outstanding game in an outstanding match, and suggesting that anyone out there pooped their pants or shit the bed is disrespectful and downright demeaning when talking about one of the best games of the last 5 years!
We absorbed everything GWS had to offer and they couldn’t handle our pressure. It’s disingenuous to say that we were out of it for 3 quarters.
Go back to the first quarter we led inside 50’s. Problem which is a recurring one is that we didn’t get reward for effort.

Oddly we only had 18% of the ball in the last 10 minutes of the game but kicked off 4 goals to 1. Yet everyone lauds our final quarter but it’s not like GWS didn’t have the ball. The 4th quarter mirrored the first three the only difference being that we finally got better reward for effort on the scoreboard.

The defence was all at sea last week. Heaps of miscommunication between defenders on who was spoiling or getting the ground ball. So we need the defence to be as settled as possible, play someone who has played back 6 regularly this year.
This won’t be a popular opinion but I’d love to see Florent back again. We need an alternate option to run the ball out - when teams put the clamps on Blakey we don’t possess much dare or run off half back which for me is when the swans look the most potent.
Florent had a couple of absolute shockers but perhaps the run on the wings has been the circuit breaker he needed and at least he knows how to play with the current defence and their system.
Either him or Lloyd but I’d prefer Lloyd to stay where he is.
Mcinerney off the bench and Adams comes in to bring added grunt. Campbell starts and playing wing/rolling forward.
Parker - sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I normally hate to be the “umpire” guy but even on replay, GWS got at least 3 goals in the 2nd quarter due to contentious umpiring decisions (or non decisions). The media suggest that they were absolutely dominant is not entirely correct when you remove at least some of these scores.

We also dominated the first part of the third. Lloyd missed a very gettable set shot to get back to 2 points. GWS go down the other end, get a goal followed by a centre bounce goal and they are “dominant” again. Sliding doors.

Adams is more mobile than Parker but Parker is more dangerous in the fwd line. Imo they can both start with Adams playing more mid mins. It would mean someone like Warner potentially playing more in the fwd line during the 1st half atleast to accomdate Adams.

Campbell as the sub was instant impact & he had free reign to cause havoc in the front half

While other teams are messing about with their sub, we could potentially turn it into an advantage by Campbell being our dedicated sub.

I normally hate to be the “umpire” guy but even on replay, GWS got at least 3 goals in the 2nd quarter due to contentious umpiring decisions (or non decisions). The media suggest that they were absolutely dominant is not entirely correct when you remove at least some of these scores.

We also dominated the first part of the third. Lloyd missed a very gettable set shot to get back to 2 points. GWS go down the other end, get a goal followed by a centre bounce goal and they are “dominant” again. Sliding doors.

I thought the frees at the end of the game against rowbottom for holding and Warner for high were bs considering they weren't calling others.

It's amazing that people expect AFL players to play hurt all season but once it's a GF they can only play if 100% fit.

Hawkins for example played in the 22 GF with a serious injury but no-one complained because of the result.

I suspect if you go back to 2005/12 etc there were multiple Swans hurt/injured who played and its acceptable as they won
Ted Richards - 2012

Last edited:

Exactly Kirky!
Due to our long drive home and that we often need to work on weekends, I have been known to leave games early when I think all hope is lost, the dishlickers game comes to mind as an instance. My husband said to me at 3/4 time did I think we should maybe think about leaving early and I said to him that, much like the Collingwood game, GWS were throwing EVERYTHING at us. The bounce of the ball initially wasn't going our way, the 50/50 umpiring calls were going against us and we were playing pretty ordinary, yet we were still in striking distance. I knew we weren't out of it and so it came to pass.
Yeah, we all want us to play four quarters the way we played the last quarter on Saturday, but I have complete faith that when we need to turn it on, we have the players and the ability to do so.

I said at half time we would win. we were never out of it, it was a fairly even contest, our forward conversion was poor.

The aim of the game is to be in front at the end , not be the best in each quarter anyway.

Same as the ain of the overall season is to time your run to win the flag. When teams win a premiership and you here oh they won but so and so was better , it's not the premier league, best team is the one that paces itself to the outcome that gets the win.

Opposition fans always diminish other clubs achievements, but some Swans fans seem to do it for them at times.

05 our captain got injured etc missed the flag.

12 a regular senior player Mcglynn got injured and missed the flag.

Mills offering to kill two birds perhaps.

I'd seriously consider pushing J-Mac into Mills' position, Campbell to start and play wing/forward, Fox to be sub.
Agree, we need someone on the last line who can soak up the pressure and clear those ground balls.. Jmac is generally excellent under pressure, we've been diabolical lately. Lloyd used to be very good at it alongside Rampe.. Too often in recent times we just crap our pants and leak goals when the ball comes in deep. Oppo will be the targeting us here in the prelim, as the Giants did.

On CET-AL00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The defence was all at sea last week. Heaps of miscommunication between defenders on who was spoiling or getting the ground ball. So we need the defence to be as settled as possible, play someone who has played back 6 regularly this year.
This won’t be a popular opinion but I’d love to see Florent back again. We need an alternate option to run the ball out - when teams put the clamps on Blakey we don’t possess much dare or run off half back which for me is when the swans look the most potent.
Florent had a couple of absolute shockers but perhaps the run on the wings has been the circuit breaker he needed and at least he knows how to play with the current defence and their system.
Either him or Lloyd but I’d prefer Lloyd to stay where he is.
Mcinerney off the bench and Adams comes in to bring added grunt. Campbell starts and playing wing/rolling forward.
Parker - sub
Would agree with the move of Florent down back. He was leading the AFL in intercept possessions earlier in the season.
Gives a little more speed out of D50 and a good user of the ball. Just have to put up with the 1-2 times a game that he gets caught like a dear in headlights.

People actually believe that Longmire won't play Callum Mills in the grand final with a hamstring strain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back