Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

No offense Tedeski, but this is just rubbish!

The only way to win a GF is to dare to lose... put everything on the line, leave it all out there and if the best you can muster on that given day is enough, you win. If it's not, you lose... and given our game style, sometimes by quite a big margin. It's not about being the best team in the competition, it's about being the best team on the day.

You have to be willing to give it your best and perhaps have 3 losses in row... otherwise why the hell are you playing? Why are you in an AFL team, why are you playing sport?
Yes true Kirky but I'm not thinking we would lose by more than 5 goals if we provided the minimum effort required & only beaten because of a better effort.
I can't accept that we were a 80 point lesser team than the Cats that day.
Hence why I don't get too excited about finger twirling players that have achieved nothing other than some brilliant individual moments.

My reference point are players like LRT, Nick Smith, Jared Crouch, Mattner, Matthews.

No nonsense players that got on with the job & who wouldn't have been a part of such a loss in a GF.

That's me though. I'm bitter until we hold up another cup.

This comment is not directed at you, but at the general opinion that GWS played better than us in that game... which seems prevalent on this board and with most game commentators.

GWS did not play better than us, they lost... by exactly one goal!

Sure, they led for most of the game... their pressure was outstanding for the first half, but they could not sustain it and we came home strong. We, who never let the lead get more than 4 goals, and who are know for our 5 goal bursts, were able to sustain our game for the entire 4 quarters. Did we intend to let them lead? Of course not, but we held them in check, knowing our turn would surely come. Their game plan required shutting down several of our best players, and they did an outstanding job for the first half; but they could not sustain it for the full game. Sure they missed some easy shots, but so did we... exactly the same amount as them.

Did they come close? Yes they did, and it was a brilliant game, but we did not poop our pants... we played an outstanding game in an outstanding match, and suggesting that anyone out there pooped their pants or shit the bed is disrespectful and downright demeaning when talking about one of the best games of the last 5 years!
To each their own KS. I thought we were pretty terrible for three quarters but that doesn't mean we weren't deserving winners.

If Mills has any chance of playing in the GF he should be on the next plane to Germany to see Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt.
De Goey did his string in the 2019 QF and couldn't get up for the prelim.

Of course there are grades to the injury and depends on how severe it is.

Agree, we need someone on the last line who can soak up the pressure and clear those ground balls.. Jmac is generally excellent under pressure, we've been diabolical lately. Lloyd used to be very good at it alongside Rampe.. Too often in recent times we just crap our pants and leak goals when the ball comes in deep. Oppo will be the targeting us here in the prelim, as the Giants did.

On CET-AL00 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree that he is generally great under pressure and he has been a good half back flanker over the years. However given that he is a little underdone and out of touch we may be better playing him in his natural position - wing. I’d prefer he makes a kicking error going into 50 than coming out of 50.

I normally hate to be the “umpire” guy but even on replay, GWS got at least 3 goals in the 2nd quarter due to contentious umpiring decisions (or non decisions). The media suggest that they were absolutely dominant is not entirely correct when you remove at least some of these scores.

We also dominated the first part of the third. Lloyd missed a very gettable set shot to get back to 2 points. GWS go down the other end, get a goal followed by a centre bounce goal and they are “dominant” again. Sliding doors.
We should not overlook the identical head high contacts to Papley that were completely ignored.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Jmac to get 20 plus touches in the prelim
and prove a few wrong is my guess.
I hope so Kingy, I for one would happily put up my hand and admit I was wrong.

After watching him last week though, I just can't see it...

I hope so Kingy, I for one would happily put up my hand and admit I was wrong.

After watching him last week though, I just can't see it...

Simply put he needed a run. Players aren’t going to be fantastic first up usually. Weirdly back of the second he started to look better anyway.

Looking at potential match ups it makes more sense to me that Florent is swung back, Campbell into his current role and Adams as the sub.

v Hawthorn with Chol, Dear, Gunston, Ginnivan, Watson, Moore and Macdonald being the main 7 guys that spend time forward, a Florent type match up would make the most sense rather than brining Fox back in.

v Port Adelaide with Georgiades, Dixon, Ratugolea, McEntee, Rioli are their main 5, and they usually have resting mids down there. Again Florent more than capable.

Simply put he needed a run. Players aren’t going to be fantastic first up usually. Weirdly back of the second he started to look better anyway.
Did he get a run though? He played two and a half quarters.

He'd be going into the prelim final having played two and a half quarters in 10 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he get a run though? He played two and a half quarters.

He'd be going into the prelim final having played two and a half quarters in 10 weeks.

That’s more than enough getting 2.5 quarters which will turn into 4 quarters next game and the extra week training is a plus

That’s more than enough getting 2.5 quarters which will turn into 4 quarters next game and the extra week training is a plus
Problem with Juzz is it looked a combination of rust and also a mental block with the kicking that he didn't fully trust his left knee when kicking the footy. Guess we will see if he can fix it on both fronts in the next week

I mean, if it was round 5, sure, we could afford to build back a player's fitness over time. But we can't afford that in a prelim and grand final.

I mean, if it was round 5, sure, we could afford to build back a player's fitness over time. But we can't afford that in a prelim and grand final.
Agree. We know we can win a final without getting anything from him, so why not play someone we know is fully fit, in form, and can move properly instead. We don't need to risk it.

Agree. We know we can win a final without getting anything from him, so why not play someone we know is fully fit, in form, and can move properly instead. We don't need to risk it.
Because we know that we can win a final without getting anything from him.

That's why it's worth the punt playing him into form. The reward is worth the risk

Jmac to get 20 plus touches in the prelim
and prove a few wrong is my guess.
That's more like it!
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

He is that important we can and we still won the game his first quarter was bad his next quarter and a half were better

Problem with Juzz is it looked a combination of rust and also a mental block with the kicking that he didn't fully trust his left knee when kicking the footy. Guess we will see if he can fix it on both fronts in the next week

That’s all rust and you can’t replace match day fitness. He’ll be a mile better with the run, was never a plan him playing more than a half to 2/3 of the game.

Because we know that we can win a final without getting anything from him.

That's why it's worth the punt playing him into form. The reward is worth the risk
No. Because what happens if we cop an injury or two. We don't get to sub him off like we did against the Giants and we're then down multiple players.

There no denying that a fit, match-practiced Mills is a fine player.

Losing Mills isn’t great.

But for the first half of the season, we had no Mills & steamrolled everyone.

Mills is replaceable.

But if we do make the GF and pick a half-fit Mills who can’t compete or has to be subbed early, Sack Hinkley 12 will look tame in comparison.
It really does depend on the severity of the hamstring strain. For a standard injury everyone says it's a 21 day recovery. Players who have suffered such an injury came straight back in after the 21 days. If it's only a partial strain he may be over it in 14 days leaving him that week of full training and testing to verify that it is ok. Other than getting over the hamstring, he is other wise as fit as he would want to be.
I'm sure he would play ONLY if he was 100% over the injury as they surely have learnt from the error of playing Sam Reid.
I trust that the medicos and Callum himself will make the decision with the interest of the team foremost in his mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back