Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

We've only had 3 games since his suspension, so he isn't free until the grand final.

And even then... Cleary.
from AFL Injury list update..

Early prognosis​

Sydney's injury list is as short as you could want it to be in September and it has an extra week to recover from a bruising encounter against GWS. Joel Amartey almost missed the Giants clash after rolling his ankle at training while Braeden Campbell had a groin issue, so both will need to be managed over the next fortnight. Small forward Sam Wicks is available again for the preliminary final after serving a suspension. - Martin Smith

But agree.. If we need another small, Cleary has put his hand up

For this weeks Semi Finals I’m tipping Port Adelaide and GWS for the simple reason that every year people go off the Qualifying Final loser and generally they bounce back.

I did look back to see what top 4 teams have gone out in straight sets and since 2000 when we have had the current finals system there has been 12 occurrences including twice in 2014 and 2023.

From 2000-2015 before the pre finals bye was introduced there has been 5 occurrences and in the 8 years since the pre finals bye (2016-2023) there has already been 7 occurrences.

I don’t really see the point of the pre finals bye and as a fan I personally think it kills the momentum of the season.

In terms of who we face next week I think both Port and Hawthorn bring their own set of challenges, particularly Port who have a great recent record against us. Hawthorn have pulled out pants down in finals a few times but I feel like their current team plays a lot like us and I think we have the talent and experience to match them.

I think if we play Port I would bring in Fox or Adams for Mills but if it ends up being Hawthorn I’d even consider bringing in Wicks as I think he would be a good match up for some of their smallish yappy type players 😂
Wicks' form was very ordinary before his VFL suspension. Additionally, he's not going to be a good match up on their smalls as we wouldn't be playing him as a defender.

He is already out of the Prelim. So if it's the GF (if the Swans make it) Mill wouldn't be in the side anyway. I'm guessing you mean rule him out so there's no doubt he can come back into the team and push someone out, which looks like being Adams or Fox.
Yeah, I mean so far so good. They let it be known early that Mills is out of the prelim.

If it is anything other than the slightest of hamstrings (which seems improbable as they felt confident to rule Mills out of the prelim this far out) then I think they should rule Mills out of the GF straight after the prelim, assuming we win.

No need to do so now, as it would come across as cocky that we think we will make the GF.

Early prognosis​

Sydney's injury list is as short as you could want it to be in September and it has an extra week to recover from a bruising encounter against GWS. Joel Amartey almost missed the Giants clash after rolling his ankle at training while Braeden Campbell had a groin issue, so both will need to be managed over the next fortnight. Small forward Sam Wicks is available again for the preliminary final after serving a suspension. - Martin Smith

I have this gut feeling about Cleary. Something tells me he has an important role to play in this campaign.

But I don’t know how you find space for him without (a) moving some chess pieces about and (b) overlooking some other very good and more experienced players.

Gut says pick him, brain says there is no space, heart says don’t make Adams and Fox miss out. Sufficed to say I am torn!

Edit: And to be relevant to your post, which is why I started responding, I think Cleary is ahead of Wicks.

Yeah, I mean so far so good. They let it be known early that Mills is out of the prelim.

If it is anything other than the slightest of hamstrings (which seems improbable as they felt confident to rule Mills out of the prelim this far out) then I think they should rule Mills out of the GF straight after the prelim, assuming we win.

No need to do so now, as it would come across as cocky that we think we will make the GF.
That's a very good point.

I have this gut feeling about Cleary. Something tells me he has an important role to play in this campaign.

But I don’t know how you find space for him without (a) moving some chess pieces about and (b) overlooking some other very good and more experienced players.

Gut says pick him, brain says there is no space, heart says don’t make Adams and Fox miss out. Sufficed to say I am torn!

Edit: And to be relevant to your post, which is why I started responding, I think Cleary is ahead of Wicks.
Yeah I agree. The only way I think he does come in (Cleary that is) is if JMac isn't right, which I doubt. You get that feeling with Cleary he is already good enough to play some midfield minutes and his pressure is elite.

I still think he might be behind Adams and Fox so it's a long shot IMO, unfortunately.

Yes absolutely. The point re slightest of hamstrings is what I have been thinking about too. I don't see it being a small grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made it to today's run/signing session pretty late, but just in time to watch Taylor Adams cut a lonely figure returning to the rooms by himself, well before the others had finished.

Could be a million reasons of course, but did feel a little odd.

When all said and done from last week's game you factor in the below and it was an even more outstanding performance and should give confidence to the playing group and fan base.

JMac coming back for first game since July 13
Papley coming back for first game since July 21
Amartey does his ankle at Thursday?? training
Mills has gastro
Campbell has sore/injured groin (looked great though)

I understand every team has sore players and guys dealing with things, but it shouldn't be glossed over.
All of them, barring obviously Mills, should be better for that hit out.

I don't see JMac being back to his best, but he just needs to keep improving. He is a guy that has the ability to kick 3-4 goals on GF day and win it for you.

Can you tell it's Friday? Next week can't get here soon enough.

Early prognosis​

I mean, all that says is that they can't count to four correctly.

He was suspended during the Collingwood weekend, for 4 games.

We've played Essendon, Crows and GWS since.

He would have been available for the prelim if we were playing a semi.

I mean, all that says is that they can't count to four correctly.

He was suspended during the Collingwood weekend, for 4 games.

We've played Essendon, Crows and GWS since.

He would have been available for the prelim if we were playing a semi.
Yeah im confused the only ways he would have been available is either or VFL guys getting through to the second week of finals or us playing a semi final other than that the weeks don't line up to have served 4 weeks suspension.

Yeah im confused the only ways he would have been available is either or VFL guys getting through to the second week of finals or us playing a semi final other than that the weeks don't line up to have served 4 weeks suspension.
He hasn't and since he's AFL listed, he'd have to serve 4 AFL games anyway, regardless of VFL.

He hasn't and since he's AFL listed, he'd have to serve 4 AFL games anyway, regardless of VFL.
Fair makes sense that it has to be 4 AFL games that he has to sit. He shouldn't be coming into a GF having not played for 6 weeks, i know not injured but he also isn't the quality of Papley and McInerney

When all said and done from last week's game you factor in the below and it was an even more outstanding performance and should give confidence to the playing group and fan base.

JMac coming back for first game since July 13
Papley coming back for first game since July 21
Amartey does his ankle at Thursday?? training
Mills has gastro
Campbell has sore/injured groin (looked great though)

I understand every team has sore players and guys dealing with things, but it shouldn't be glossed over.
All of them, barring obviously Mills, should be better for that hit out.

I don't see JMac being back to his best, but he just needs to keep improving. He is a guy that has the ability to kick 3-4 goals on GF day and win it for you.

Can you tell it's Friday? Next week can't get here soon enough.
Had the quickest of chats with JMac, asked how he'd pulled up, he suggested he was fine but confessed he'd been rusty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back