The Worsfold coaching situation mega-thread, part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the face of yet another deplorable performance Worsfold MUST go - but not yet, finish the season and then dump him.

The last thing we want to do is end up having one of the assistants as caretaker to see out the season when three of the last four games are quite winnable.

Say we achieve that and miss the spoon. The board during the post-season unsuccessfully canvass Roos, Matthews and Malthouse for the head coach role and come to the decision that after turning the club's fortunes around to avoid the spoon by winning three of his four games in charge with the only loss being to Geelong away that Peter Sumich is the best option to take club forward in 2011... :eek:

At least if Worsfold is there and gets those three wins and avoids the spoon he can still be sacked because he hasn't delivered upon the expectations that he has set which was playing finals football. At least that way it precludes any chance of a current assistant being appointed head coach and making the exact same mistakes that the Worsfold regime currently is.

Re: KRudd & Woosha - The Vortex Of Spin

Julia Bishop. A female in any case. Men dont knife people in the back. We knife them in the chest
Give me a break Snce that witch came on the Board we have gone from bad to worse. Nice to see Julia today celebrating the Bullies win. I will happily barrack for them to finish above those effing Dockers.

Re: John Worsfold's Record As Coach

Umm, you're dead last.

Mate, again calling it as I see it.

If I changed my allegiance to the Cats would the opinion hold more merit?

Here's what I see, I see a side that has at best, remained stagnate for 3 years. A side which has no recognisable pattern of play. A side which has dreadful skills.

A coach who is still living in the land of Judd, Cousins and Kerr, when one on one football was enough because your top 5 were just too good.

A coach who has never implemented a forward structure, which is efficient and clean.

From the outside looking in it appears that he has surrounded himself with yes men and refuses to come into the world of modern footy.

Fremantles performance is irrelevant to Worsfolds coaching record I would have thought.

Attempting to derail the discussion about the mental aptitude of Fremantle would IMO, highlight one's mental fragility, yours.

Look, I have never rated Worsfold as a tactician, I think he'd be an inspiring bloke to have around the club, a motivator, but he looks and the side has performed as though he is out of his depth.

I came to this conclusion a long time ago, in the glory days of the 3 champions when sheer volume of ball inside the 50 fifty masked the holes in your offensives structures.

I see it every week, blokes leading into each others space, a refusal to create space 30 out.

Do you really think Lecras is going to kick 12 from the pockets each week?

It's a Phil Matera set up all over again, only this time he doesnt have silver service.

But continue, continue to lampoon our side for our supposed mental fragility as opposed to discussing how a coach who has not developed a side at all over 3 years is contracted until the end of 2011, come what may.

Ding Ding Ding. :thumbsu:

I almost felt sorry for your mob today, almost. ;)

The one thing I cant stand, and I dont care which team it is, is when a player has the option of taking the game on and advancing forward but reverts to a sideways or backward handball that achieves nothing.

It's terrible, robs you of any forward momentum and players like Brown, Waters and Priddis do it religiously.

But you have to ask why?

Probably because the forward set up is a dogs breakfast and the blokes cant kick.

Not a good combination wouldnt you say.

How good is Nat Fyfe :thumbsu:

Andrew Embley is embarrasing himself on a weekly basis.

Cant disagree with any of that Pav.

I just hope there is a mass clearout of the coaches box and we hire the best people that we can to try rectify all the damage once this season is finished.

I thought he looked quite sad in that interview. A lot different than he usually is maybe he has actually conceded he has run his race and it's time to let somebody else take control.

I thought he looked quite sad in that interview. A lot different than he usually is maybe he has actually conceded he has run his race and it's time to let somebody else take control.
The usual protect the players at all cost is wearing thin nowadays, even with Woosh.

But in the end Woosh is the chief motivator.

Not sure what the goals for this season were but i remember some reference to making the eight with a touch of luck.

Thanks for the good times Woosha but the writing is on the wall. The only deeper hole the club could fall into is sitting on their hands and allowing a repeat next year.

Sorry Woosha, I will always luv you, but "moving forward" might be better for WCE if you chose to live by your expectations. Judge yourself and if you give yourself a pass then..........................???

I thought it interesting that he made references to the players that were missing, particularly in defence - Glass, Butler and Hurn. This came after he had praised the defence for holding up against massive odds. It hasn't been his usual style to look for excuses like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it interesting that he made references to the players that were missing, particularly in defence - Glass, Butler and Hurn. This came after he had praised the defence for holding up against massive odds. It hasn't been his usual style to look for excuses like that.
Freo had a debutant, many 1st and 2nd year players, lost Tarrant and yes they have more games experience overall.

They belted us and worst of all........................we have been their biatch for years...............worse than that we had little fight when the game was open at the start.

Woosha has gone soft and the players reflect that.

Suma has never been hard so I hope a swap is not on the cards.

Junk yard dog or dare I say it bring back Micky.

All this talk about kids and what not is pretty ridiculous.

The issue for me, is how poorly you play. There is no system, the skills are not improving a forward line has not been formulated for how long?

Keep talking about other sides at your peril.

Those sides are playing brands of football which have purpose and will win more games of football as the players mature.

Not the case with West Coast, there's no run, overlap, do you play throught the corridor? Do you play on at all costs?

It's just a mess and has been since the departure of two match winners.

Amazingly i agree with the freo kid. He raises a valid point. our structure needs improvement if we are losing we don't ever change anything or move players around or try things (ie lecras should move mid every time we start gettin dominated no need leaving our best player in a spot where he cant do anything) . i think we should drop lynch not because he's been terrible but because i think we are structurally better without him and kennedy's barely kicked a goal with him in the side coz he's played too far up the ground. Also the lack of run in our side is ridiculous. i look at the match stats every week and check bounces for eagles compared to the other team every week we get smashed in this stat last time i remember winning it we won the game. freo had 27 today we had 4. i think we will be better next year with less injuries etc. but i really do think the changing of the guard is now. do the melb strategy. trade every1 tradeable above 27 out for youth rebuild for our next premiership hit the draft hard. it may hurt but i'd rather suck now and possibly win a premiership rather than still suck then be a middleish team in a few years.
Incidently does anybody remember our structure when we were premiers. i remember hating it we had no forwards whatsoever. the 3 stars won it then had to bomb it long to a contest then chase it up and kick the goals themselves. i think its time for a change of coach. outside hire. atleast we could get another pov and try different things. also why are players like bones gettin a game? we should be playing all youth possible gettin games into the young blokes.

David King knows very little about our list, in saying that Woosha isn't all bad his backing of certain players like McKenzie, S,Selwood ect over the years have worked out well. However it does have pitfalls, he backs all of his players and isn't selective enough.

You just about never say anything i don't agreee with eastern. very true.

Why doesn't Masten play in the midfield? He cut us up last time on the ball. Bizarre.

We wonder the same thing...

From an article on thewest.com.au:

"It was a very slow start, just outgunned really from the start with the intensity and couldn't claw our way back into it," West Coast coach John Worsfold said.

Geez Woosha, so insightful of you to pick that up :thumbsu: :rolleyes:

Sacking Worsfold is not the complete answer but it is a part of it. Hard to see how the club can move forward untill he is gone. The malaise at the club has gone so far that it's beyond just tinkering at the edges with the playing list and gameplan. What is needed is a complete paradigm shifter. A complete new perspective and method. Somebody to swing the pendulum and try a harder edged approach to Worsfold when it comes to discipline with the players, somebody more organised and inventive in the box, somebody who can craft a gameplan that is within the capabilities of the playing group and generate improvement in their ability to execute it and, most importantly, somebody who can look at the playing group with a critical eye that is unencumbered by emotional attachments of the past and cull the deadwood and list cloggers out.

It's also that Worsfold has been there 10 years almost and that is long enough. When you have been there that long and you start to get diminishing returns it's time to go. I think Paul Roos is one of the best handful of coaches in the league but i also think it's good for Sydney that he is going. Not because he can't coach. I am sure he will have more success elsewhere in the future. But because the malaise has started in there aswell and he has done his dash there, as had Rodney Eade before him. Worsfold's methods and approach is not working, he refuses to make the hard decisions on players or re-invent himself and his gameplan and also it's just time for someone else to have a go. He can't hang around forever.

Sacking Worsfold is not the complete answer but it is a part of it. Hard to see how the club can move forward untill he is gone. The malaise at the club has gone so far that it's beyond just tinkering at the edges with the playing list and gameplan. What is needed is a complete paradigm shifter. A complete new perspective and method. Somebody to swing the pendulum and try a harder edged approach to Worsfold when it comes to discipline with the players, somebody more organised and inventive in the box, somebody who can craft a gameplan that is within the capabilities of the playing group and generate improvement in their ability to execute it and, most importantly, somebody who can look at the playing group with a critical eye that is unencumbered by emotional attachments of the past and cull the deadwood and list cloggers out.

It's also that Worsfold has been there 10 years almost and that is long enough. When you have been there that long and you start to get diminishing returns it's time to go. I think Paul Roos is one of the best handful of coaches in the league but i also think it's good for Sydney that he is going. Not because he can't coach. I am sure he will have more success elsewhere in the future. But because the malaise has started in there aswell and he has done his dash there, as had Rodney Eade before him. Worsfold's methods and approach is not working, he refuses to make the hard decisions on players or re-invent himself and his gameplan and also it's just time for someone else to have a go. He can't hang around forever.

So let me ask you this GM, you do not believe, for a minute, that having 3 players, all out of form it must be said, with over 100 games on the field, versus 11, as mezaire pointed out in another thread, makes any difference whatsoever? Another coach could step in and make that same differential in experience work?

Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back