The Worsfold coaching situation mega-thread

What to do?

• Got to go. Now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Got to go at end of year

• It was an away game. That was expected. Keep him.

• I'm a Fremantle supporter and I suck.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point being made is that the people at the club protecting and pumping him up don't believe the bull**** they are feeding us either. Nisbett in particular is giving us a sales pitch. If he was forced to bet on this and put something of value to himself on the line instead of cheap words fed to the media he would be betting against Worsfold turning it around aswell.

There is no point arguing with you because you are coming at this from an emotional angle and your answer to everything is going to be "what about 2006?". You won't even consider any other evidence. But just let me clear up something you and many others seem to be confused about - John Worsfold is not the West Coast Eagles footy club. John and the club and two very seperate and distinct entities. John works for the club but he isn't the club. Disagreeing with what John is doing in his role does not equal being negative, turning your back on the club or being a traitor/not being a true supporter. John is not the club, he is an employee of the club.

Conversely defending him blindly and to the death does not make you the clubs biggest supporter ever or a better or more committed supporter than people who disagree with what Worsfold is doing because Worsfold is not the club. Try and seperate the two entities in your mind and realise that agreeing with Worsfold does not equal being a true supporter and disagreeing does not make you less of a supporter because Worsfold and the club are not one and the same.

It's like somebody convincing themselves that anybody who disagrees with what Kevin Rudd is doing or has done or has not done as Prime minister means that they are anti-Australian and are turning their back in the country and being a traitor and slamming the whole country and everything and everyone in it. Kevin Rudd is not Australia just like john Worsfold is not the West Coast Eagles football club.

Unfortunately Geoff on this particular public forum you are going to percieved as anti west coast, gen Y in particular think that John Worsfold is the greatest coach in the history of the game.
In general most will also agree because he is a legend of our club.
That is just the way it is!!! in some small way i can understand the thought process because it is Worsfold.

but the club is so much bigger than the man and as i have said you either back him in and give him a new 3 year deal or give someone else a go.

It is no secret what i would do but make no mistake that is the question in front of our club right now.

The point being made is that the people at the club protecting and pumping him up don't believe the bull**** they are feeding us either. Nisbett in particular is giving us a sales pitch. If he was forced to bet on this and put something of value to himself on the line instead of cheap words fed to the media he would be betting against Worsfold turning it around aswell.

There is no point arguing with you because you are coming at this from an emotional angle and your answer to everything is going to be "what about 2006?". You won't even consider any other evidence. But just let me clear up something you and many others seem to be confused about - John Worsfold is not the West Coast Eagles footy club. John and the club and two very seperate and distinct entities. John works for the club but he isn't the club. Disagreeing with what John is doing in his role does not equal being negative, turning your back on the club or being a traitor/not being a true supporter. John is not the club, he is an employee of the club.

Conversely defending him blindly and to the death does not make you the clubs biggest supporter ever or a better or more committed supporter than people who disagree with what Worsfold is doing because Worsfold is not the club. Try and seperate the two entities in your mind and realise that agreeing with Worsfold does not equal being a true supporter and disagreeing does not make you less of a supporter because Worsfold and the club are not one and the same.

It's like somebody convincing themselves that anybody who disagrees with what Kevin Rudd is doing or has done or has not done as Prime minister means that they are anti-Australian and are turning their back in the country and being a traitor and slamming the whole country and everything and everyone in it. Kevin Rudd is not Australia just like john Worsfold is not the West Coast Eagles football club.

Excellent post again GM.

There's a bunch of people here that are inlcined to suggest 'just give woosh another couple of years to rebuild'. But how long does the guy need? And, with the compromised drafts that are to come, how good is that rebuild going to get?

Blind loyalty does not make for a better fan. For me the question is similar to the Lynch one: is Lynch going to lead us to our next flag, or even be part of it? Not a chance. Will Woosha? I seriously doubt it.

Unfortunately Geoff on this particular public forum you are going to percieved as anti west coast, gen Y in particular think that John Worsfold is the greatest coach in the history of the game.
In general most will also agree because he is a legend of our club.
That is just the way it is!!! in some small way i can understand the thought process because it is Worsfold.

but the club is so much bigger than the man and as i have said you either back him in and give him a new 3 year deal or give someone else a go.

It is no secret what i would do but make no mistake that is the question in front of our club right now.

While I agree with your point that you made, it has nothing to do with generational attitudes.
Taking a slap at Gen Y is unnecessary because it has nothing to do with it.

While I agree with your point that you made, it has nothing to do with generational attitudes.
Taking a slap at Gen Y is unnecessary because it has nothing to do with it.

Amen. What the dick does Gen Y have to do with Woosha?

I do like some of Woosha's idea's.
But he isn't a great identifier of talent and he waits before the obvious becomes silly before acting.

I think the magnitude of Worsfolds mistakes in the last few years is good enough reason to lose confidence in the bloke. He grossly over rated the squad and backed in the old guard and history has shown that call to be categorically wrong and it will be very costly to our club for a long time. It's also very alarming that he still can't bring himself to admit these errors in judgement because people who can't even admit their mistakes are sure as hell not going to be learning from them. And if you don't learn from mistakes you are doomed to repeat them. His arrogance is his downfall.

That being said, the decision as to whether he should stay or go shouldn't come down to vindictiveness and punishing the bloke for past mistakes. It should come down a well considered and thoughtfull judgement on whether he is the best bloke to take things forward from where we are now, previous errors in judgement aside. I don't think he is and i think te mooted possible replacements like Laidley and Roos ar eperfect replacements and here is why.

In my view Worsfold has a very star oriented philoshophy and view of football. It seems obvious to me that Worsfold believes that a clubs fate comes down it's best 3 or 4 players and whether they can pull you over the line or not. Why do i say this? His refusal to tag, refusal to use spare men in defence even when we are under siege, refusal to change match ups that are not working, his lack of interest in and lack of use of structures, set plays and team rules, his willingness to tolerate minimal levels of accountability and discipline. I mean, lets face it, we are the least well drilled, least structured, least disciplined and least accountable side in the comp and always have been, even when we were winning. I would also cite his refusal to take any responsibility for the losses. I really think Worsfold feels that people expecting him to get competitive performances without Judd, Cousins et al are totally unreasonable and i also believe he has no plan to move us forward other than wait and see and hope another Judd and Cousins evolve out of the latest crop of draftees.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to sumise that Worsfold thinks that things like match ups, structures, taggers, team rules, set plays etc are all just background noise and unimportant and don't effect end results, it all just comes down to whether your best players can win it for you or not.

Contrast that with coaches like Laidley, Roos, Craig. they are the exact opposite. They are hands on and strictly enforce team rules and constantly emphasise structures, accountability, tagging, set plays. Players who don't get with that program get booted. I think the philosophy of these coaches is that the 22 players make up the whole and every player must play his part and follow instructions and standards and the group either moves forward as a whole or fails as a whole. They don't believe in individual brilliance as the ultimate determinant. To them player 20 following the rules and playing within the structures etc just as strictly as player 3 or whatever is far more important than individual performances. This is also why the results of these teams have been less volatile than ours. In their system losing a key player doesn't affect the team result as much as it does in Worsfold's talent dependent approach.

Worsfold won a flag with his approach. Thats fair enough. Maybe he was the right man for the times although i would still argue that had he made use of tagging and spare men in defence when the opposition get a run on and structures etc we would have been even better. But i don't think Worsfold's approach will work now because we don't have Judd's and Cousins' coming through. If we are going to get better it is going to have to be from small personal improvements in attitude and performance from all the players through the list and more emphasis on team skills. Waiting for another Judd etc to come through just isn't a viable strategy. It isn't a strategy at all.

We need a coach who can lift the club by generating and inspiring improvement through the whole list and get the overall performance to be better than the sum of the individual parts by having us be more disciplined and structured and more attentive to blunting the oppositions weapons. I don't think Worsfold operates that way and thats the main reason why i think he must. He is not the right tool for the job this time.

But he isn't a great identifier of talent and he waits before the obvious becomes silly before acting.
:thumbsu:
Yep. I was shocked to read that quote about him having identified the 'right' group of players to take us to our next flag.
Seriously **** me. A team with a one paced/one dimensional midfield, a slow backline, no crumbers, average skills and our best player set to rot in a forward pocket for the rest of his career.

We're basically relying on injuries in order for Worsfold to work out who is a best 22 player going forward or not. Pretty sad.

In my view Worsfold has a very star oriented philoshophy and view of football. It seems obvious to me that Worsfold believes that a clubs fate comes down it's best 3 or 4 players and whether they can pull you over the line or not. Why do i say this? His refusal to tag, refusal to use spare men in defence even when we are under siege, refusal to change match ups that are not working, his lack of interest in and lack of use of structures, set plays and team rules, his willingness to tolerate minimal levels of accountability and discipline. I mean, lets face it, we are the least well drilled, least structured, least disciplined and least accountable side in the comp and always have been, even when we were winning. I would also cite his refusal to take any responsibility for the losses. I really think Worsfold feels that people expecting him to get competitive performances without Judd, Cousins et al are totally unreasonable and i also believe he has no plan to move us forward other than wait and see and hope another Judd and Cousins evolve out of the latest crop of draftees.

I reckon that's going p-off a lot of WC supporters but is valid.

If I may comment, I think this belief to an extent has also affected the supporters over the last couple of years. The number threads in this forum in particular along the lines of "Blah blah will be a star/gun" in the title or body has been very high.

It's always seemed to me that a number of people have also been waiting for the next Judd or Cousins to show up. It seems to have turned around this year with a number of those same people asking the question as to whether or not they over-rated the WC youngsters.

Very good posts by Geoffe Miles.
As I mentioned a few days ago in another post maybe West Coast should approach Geoffe Miles and offer him the coaching position.
By far the most accurate and logical poster on this forum.

I'm emotional ??

Far from it - my position is clear - he has a contract to 2011 - let him see it out - if we aren't looking any better by then - we look elsewhere.

It's simply practical - he has a plan - he was given a timeframe to show that it has a chance - let him see it out.

you're not just attacking john, you attack worsfold, nisbett, barnaba and the board of the club. If you'd just got the waterboys - you'd have got the lot. . In every post you have made you have been irrational and melodramatic -

"I'm worried woosha will draft a mature hack with a bad knee"
"Nisbett's been forced to bet his job"
"WC missed an opportunity to turn over their list"

All of those comments you have made are either factually incorrect or wildly melodramatic.

I'm not tied to worsfold because he is a legend of out club - i'm just willing to give him a chance to see out his contract due to the fact that hew has proven he can take a young list to a flag. Paul Roos echoed the exact same thoughts 24 hours after i first posted that. There's one thing having a crack at things you don't like - it's another thing whinging about everything and anything and simply making sh1t up. Hell even in our premiership year people whinged about Rowan Jones - i guess you can't satisfy everyone.

The Rudd analysis is again way off the mark - Rudd hasn't led us from the doldrums to to the ultimate success - he's taken us the opposite way. Absolute zero credits in the bank. So this just add to the more emotional and irrational arguments you present.

Anyway - you continue the hate - more power to you, however I'm sure, shoulda woosha turn it around next year - then you'll resign your 20 year membership - or perhaps that's just emotional.......

I would like to see the members of the eagles admin and board who want to back Worsfold in and are so assertive about how good he is and so diaparaging of those who doubt him be challenged to put their neck on the line and agree to follow him out the door if we continue to perform this poorly and miss the finals again next year. Lets see what they would do if their necks were riding on this bet. I bet most of them would not be prepared to do it. I think most of the people backing him just can't mentally deal with consequences of sacking him and know within themselves that Worsfold has made majorly bad judgement calls up untill now and has been more wrong than right about almost everything and that mistakes are still being made and likely to continue to be made if we don't move him on.

And i think that the posters that are calling for Woosha's head dont want to believe that we dont have the right players. Its been said we dont have a quality midfield. Is that woosha's fault? is it his fault that kerr, masten, butler and Shuey have been injured this year? its easy to say its all the coaches fault, its not easy to explain why.

The eagles have an committee devoted to selection, if you sack Worsfold because of selection, may as well sack the whole committee - they all influence the decision. :rolleyes:

So for all those that are calling for Worsfold to be sacked, why? is it because you genuinely believe he isnt the right man for the job, or is it because you cant get your head around the fact that, at this very point in time, we aren't good enough.

I'm emotional ??

Far from it - my position is clear - he has a contract to 2011 - let him see it out - if we aren't looking any better by then - we look elsewhere.

It's simply practical - he has a plan - he was given a timeframe to show that it has a chance - let him see it out.

you're not just attacking john, you attack worsfold, nisbett, barnaba and the board of the club. If you'd just got the waterboys - you'd have got the lot. . In every post you have made you have been irrational and melodramatic -

"I'm worried woosha will draft a mature hack with a bad knee"
"Nisbett's been forced to bet his job"
"WC missed an opportunity to turn over their list"

All of those comments you have made are either factually incorrect or wildly melodramatic.

I'm not tied to worsfold because he is a legend of out club - i'm just willing to give him a chance to see out his contract due to the fact that hew has proven he can take a young list to a flag. Paul Roos echoed the exact same thoughts 24 hours after i first posted that. There's one thing having a crack at things you don't like - it's another thing whinging about everything and anything and simply making sh1t up. Hell even in our premiership year people whinged about Rowan Jones - i guess you can't satisfy everyone.

Anyway - you continue the hate - more power to you, however I'm sure, shoulda woosha turn it around next year - then you'll resign your 20 year membership - or perhaps that's just emotional.......

That's not quite an ad hominem, but it's not far off. Geoffe has not been hysterical by any stretch, and I'd argue that he makes more of an effort to be lucid than most other posters (myself included). His posts are never the [tunnel vision] let's just keep doing what we do we won a flag recently legend of the club [/tunnel vision]. They take in other teams and other realms of society. It's no surprise that one-eyed supporters don't care for that and favour persisting with their one-eyed inflexible coach.

I think Geoffe is right in saying that at the club, regards the coaching system, there's clearly a failure of imagination (almost impossible to argue otherwise with Woosh's dogmatic, trenchant tactics) and a failure of accountability, where the board and woosh are unwilling to accept any culpability for how crap the team is now, and how inordinately lengthy and tedious this rebuild is.

If you're going to say 'let's just persist' then you need to realise that this is a hugely conservative thing to say. If you make analogies, as Geoffe does, the performance of the board and woosh looks pretty mediocre. It's not treasonous to suggest that in life crap performance should lead to some sort of reaction. You couldn't be more rational about it.

Have a glass of water. Take the scarf off. Then tell us how you think the performance of the board and woosh is up to standard. Then we'll see who is rational.

I reckon that's going p-off a lot of WC supporters but is valid.

If I may comment, I think this belief to an extent has also affected the supporters over the last couple of years. The number threads in this forum in particular along the lines of "Blah blah will be a star/gun" in the title or body has been very high.

It's always seemed to me that a number of people have also been waiting for the next Judd or Cousins to show up. It seems to have turned around this year with a number of those same people asking the question as to whether or not they over-rated the WC youngsters.

I don't think supporters overrating players has anything to do with Woosha. That is just typical of supporters from all clubs.

I also don't think we have necessarily been overrating our youngsters. Most of the ones we really rate are not even playing through injury.

I don't think supporters overrating players has anything to do with Woosha. That is just typical of supporters from all clubs.

I also don't think we have necessarily been overrating our youngsters. Most of the ones we really rate are not even playing through injury.

Agree that most fans do that. But someone like Tom Swift is a classic example of a guy who at this stage, on this board, is being completely overrated.

I'm not saying he's not going to be good. I'm just saying that at the moment there's not a great deal to cause anyone to say 'he's going to be a GUN!!1!!!'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's half and half.

If Woosha is waiting for the next Judd/ Cousins he might be waiting a while. He clearly can't sought out our midfield rotations. Injuries don't concern me, he had chances early in the season to get those rotations right and to get some balance together.

For instance a Kerr, Priddis and A.Selwood midfield rotation will never be a viable option. Essentially your asking Kerr to pretend he's Judd and Priddis to pretend he's Kerr. Three guys who don't break free from thier direct opponents and only one that can actually hurt the opposition with ball in hand.

Our kids aren't under rated nor over rated, they are simply untested. They havn't been given sufficent game time, nor have they been given sufficent time in their prefered positions.

What we do know now, is that we are having a total rebuild. Meaning we must admit that our current leaders are not going to be around by our next flag push. We need to find leadership amoungst our younger players and give them time to develop.

Jack Riewoldt is a prime example, had his knockers for an extended period and is now using all his match experience and development to prove them wrong. We need to do this across the board for an extended period, get someone in who can identify talent and get the most out of that talent.

What we do know now, is that we are having a total rebuild. Meaning we must admit that our current leaders are not going to be around by our next flag push. We need to find leadership amoungst our younger players and give them time to develop.

Depends on what you consider leaders

Glass, Cox, Priddis, Selwood, Waters, Kennedy, Hurn are our official leadership group.

It's hard to know where Glass is at with his body - so I might leave him out.

Cox is also 28 - and with a reducing workload - there is no reason he can't be part of the team for the next 5 or 6 years, playing a Paul Salmon type role.

The rest of those blokes - are 26 and under - so you would think have 4/5 years left in them.

I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Priddis and Selwood certainly aren't stars and aren't going to be the cream that delivers us a flag - but very few sides are littered with 22 stars - Geelong's team as an example still has a few plodders or good honest footballers. They can still fill roles.

If you mean senior/older players as Leaders, as I suspect you might - a line will go through Hansen & Nicoski and most likely Brett Jones.

So blokes 25 or older - that Leaves Kerr, Embley and Lynch. I suspect Lynch's career is shot given he is in the WAFL. Embley would need a massive re-discovery of form unlike the Kane Cornes-esque cheap kick gathering he has largely undertaken for the past 2 years.

Of those 6 blokes I just mentioned - i suspect 4 or 5 will be gone within 18 months. And of those 4 or 5 - only 1 is getting a regular game (Embley), with 1 out with injury (Kerr). The rest have been in and out - but hardly the nucleus.

So IMO - going forward - out of our current team who are currently best 22 - only 1 bloke who I consider senior/leader - will not be around for our next finals tilt(Embley) and Glass depending on his body.

That's not quite an ad hominem, but it's not far off. Geoffe has not been hysterical by any stretch, and I'd argue that he makes more of an effort to be lucid than most other posters (myself included). His posts are never the [tunnel vision] let's just keep doing what we do we won a flag recently legend of the club [/tunnel vision]. They take in other teams and other realms of society. It's no surprise that one-eyed supporters don't care for that and favour persisting with their one-eyed inflexible coach.

I think Geoffe is right in saying that at the club, regards the coaching system, there's clearly a failure of imagination (almost impossible to argue otherwise with Woosh's dogmatic, trenchant tactics) and a failure of accountability, where the board and woosh are unwilling to accept any culpability for how crap the team is now, and how inordinately lengthy and tedious this rebuild is.

If you're going to say 'let's just persist' then you need to realise that this is a hugely conservative thing to say. If you make analogies, as Geoffe does, the performance of the board and woosh looks pretty mediocre. It's not treasonous to suggest that in life crap performance should lead to some sort of reaction. You couldn't be more rational about it.

Have a glass of water. Take the scarf off. Then tell us how you think the performance of the board and woosh is up to standard. Then we'll see who is rational.

inordinately long re-build?

It's been 3 years out of the finals - tell me another club that has turned over a list as dramatically as our club (for youth) and has made finals within 3 years.

I have no issue with people having a go at Worsfold - he has his flaws - but using statements like I just pulled out are rubbish and it's that hysteria that i argue against.

This is the third 3 years out of the finals for us - here's some other teams:

Hawthorn missed 02-06 (5 years)
Melbourne have been out since 07 (4 years)
Freo had 3 years out - but have mature recruits helping this year
Carlton took a decade - albeit through punishment
St Kilda too 5 years from 1999-2003 out of the finals
Geelong took years from 01-03 and another in 06 out of the finals
Brisbane had 4 years out after their last flag

Should I go on?

This is the reason I argue the point - comments are being made like your that are simply incorrect. This rebuild isn't longer than normal - and in fact arguably the only team to have a faster re-build is ourselves when we had 2 years out at the start of the decade - it took a fantastic win in 2002 away from home in rd 22 to make the finals that year - and had we not - that would have been 3 years.

I'd go as far to say as 3 years out of the finals seems about the shortest time a team has turned over a list and then got back into contention. Considering we had 4 premiership players in our team last weekend, 1 of whom was a late inclusion for a teenager - i'd say that's a fairly big overhaul.

There is one team looking like doing it sooner - and that is Syndey - but do you want our club going down the line of recruiting 22-30 year olds to plug gaps?

Edit - I forgot Collingwood - they took 2 years only. The counter argument to that of course is that in 2007 when they made the finals - they still had 11 grand final players from 2003 in their best 22 that embarked on the 07 finals campaign - so not quite the rebuild most clubs have taken on

Having a great week already is Woosh, and the game hasn't even started. His mate Embley continues to get named, despite being the worst player in the AFL this year. Stevenson gets dropped, Selwood is a late withdrawal which isn't actually a bad thing, but of course we bring Lynch in to bolster up our already giant non-functioning forward line instead of replacing him with a small running player. Brilliant!

Having a great week already is Woosh, and the game hasn't even started. His mate Embley continues to get named, despite being the worst player in the AFL this year. Stevenson gets dropped, Selwood is a late withdrawal which isn't actually a bad thing, but of course we bring Lynch in to bolster up our already giant non-functioning forward line instead of replacing him with a small running player. Brilliant!

Agree with this from an outsiders point of view. Been going into bat for Woosha against Eagles workmates calling for his head due to the fact I don't think your club has the talent. But picking Lynch, Brown, Kennedy, McKinley, Cox and NicNat all in the same team is just stupidity. It makes your team slower than what they already are, and is not good for Kennedy.

Just a general summary of few areas I think your team is lacking.

Before I start, just remember how young that side was tody, the Doggies have alot of seasoned campaigners.

Anyway, to start, the midfield is generic, too generic, it's also filled with plodders who can kick and generally moved the ball sideways and backward, this slows any momentum you have down, allows opposition sides to get numbers back.

As a result of that the kicker then has to thread the ball inside 50, as you all know you dont have the kickers in the side to do that successfully.

It also forces your leads wide - Lecras to the pockets with Kenndey, and generally that forward line is too top heavy.

Why play so many talls if you're going to use Lecras as the go to option?

There's no pressure on the ball as it comes out and as mentioned before the lack of pace in the middle allows opposition sides to run and carry without fear of being caught.

I could go on, but Im sure most of you already know all this.

Recruitment has been poor, structures are clearly wrong and the skills are dreadful.

Probably the worst time to bottom out as well.

Everyone has an opinion on this so I am gonna stick mine in.

1) Woosha should go at the end of the year and he should be encouraged to resign not be sacked;
2) I think its the midfield is the issue not the forward line;
3) Now what needs to happen is to chuck youngsters in at the deep end in the key possies through the midfield and see who's good and really wants to play AFL footy.

What the hell happened after 3/4 time today? Pretty unacceptable I would have thought. As a supporter you are entitled to ask what the hell is going on. The club expects you to be a member, buy merchandise etc so they should give something back!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back