The Worst Football Jargon

Remove this Banner Ad

That's because Riewoldt IS actually pronounced Ree-volt...:rolleyes:

Depends which side of the family you ask haha.

Went to school with Jack Riewoldt and I cannot recall a single time he pronounced his name ree-volt, was always Ree-wolt.

Why the hate for that pronunciation of Riewoldt? Happy to be proven wrong but I believe the correct German pronunciation, and the one used by Nick, is with a 'V' sound. It's not ree-wolt.

Is Reiwoldt German? Is the commentator German? Are they broadcasting to a German majority audience?

This was discussed a little while back on CSC http://www.carltonsc.com/modules.ph...opic&t=18021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here's what I wrote on the subject :

1. "kicks to centre wing"

There is no such goddam position on the ground, it's a McAvaneyism that has now grown legs and is used by everyone.

2. "goes inboard"

Why ?? They are out fishing and the outboard has failed ??

3. "bends it back"

A football cannot bend, its a scientific fact. I particularly get irate when a commentator uses that term and ball travels as straight as a die (i.e. gun barrel straight)

4. "underground handpass"

I want to see the trapdoor that the ball goes into and disappears from sight and the one where it pops back out again.

5. "soccers it off the ground"

Eeerrrr, it's either 'kicks off the ground' or 'soccers it', you can't be doing both.

5. "one-on-one"

Sounds more like a kinky sex romp that way .... what happened to the old phrases 'man-on-man' or 'individual duel' ??

6. "into the corridor"

Way over-used term and implies the game is played in an office block.

7. "the turnover"

More seppo infiltration of our game, do you get fries with that too ??

8. "Hodge plays that quarterback role well"

Why the fudge do they insist on pinching terms from US sport to unnecessarily describe our game ??

9. "stoppages"

Have we deleted the terms 'bounce' & 'ball-in' now ??

10. "gut running"

I always thought it was done with your legs but what would I know ??

11. "structures"

The Eiffel Tower, Sydney Harbour Bridge & Stonehenge are structures, a football team's game-plan is not !!!

12. "he's got a beautiful set of hands"

How do you know, did you see him getting a manicure ?? Just say he's 'strong overhead' or a 'very strong mark' and we get the picture, there is no need to go all Mardi Gras over the bloke.

He's an 'Emerging Player'. Sounds like a moth coming out of a ****ing cocoon.

Any of McAveneys stupid rhetorical questions. ' you just feel if they can get another goal here they'll be back in this don't you' No shit coz they'll be closer to the lead you ****wit.....

Also anything out of Tony Shaws mouth.

Some of the terms in here annoy me too but honestly if the commentators weren't allowed to use any of those nominated in this thread it would be pretty damn boring commentary. "Cotchin, handballs to Deledio, kicks it to Martin. Martin kicks it to Riewoldt. Riewoldt kicks a goal. Richmond add 6 points to their score. Well done Tigers!'

I'd argue that if you were put on the spot and had to commentate a game you would find yourself using plenty of these terms without even realising it too. Some of them serve an important purpose... fat side might sound stupid but it is a legitimate way of indicating space has opened up on the side of the ground with a lack of players.

Is Reiwoldt German? Is the commentator German? Are they broadcasting to a German majority audience?

Entirely irrelevant. Nationality doesn't change how his name is pronounced, aside from people deliberately getting it wrong in the interests of being "Aussie". I'm an Australian of Anglo Saxon descent but I can cope with pronouncing a name correctly, so I fail to see the problem. I only pointed out that the name is German as it gives context to the correct pronunciation. Likewise people getting Ivan Maric's name wrong. I fail to see what's hard about it and being Australian has nothing to do with it. It's just their name and commentators who get it right are just showing a bit of professionalism and respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5. "one-on-one"

Sounds more like a kinky sex romp that way .... what happened to the old phrases 'man-on-man' or 'individual duel' ??

Hmm... so man-on-man doesn't conjure up any kinky sex romp images to you? I just had to laugh a little at that one...

I think people are being rather pedantic in this thread -

I think people are being rather pedantic in this thread -

Agreed tbh. Whilst I do hate the word 'catch' being used, commentary would be very dull if we stuck with consistent terms and didn't allow variations.

I wonder how many people in this thread don't have a problem with 'centimetre perfect'. :eek:

Haven't heard it for a while, but was very common in the 1999 season.

Didn't matter who it was, Bruce McAvaney could only mumble "he's there". Learn the names ffs!

While "Yeah nah" is one of the most annoying phrases used by footballers for awhile, I think that "... moving forward" has now overtaken it.

Actually if want to hear someone use as many possible cliches and annoying phrases in one or two sentence, just tune into Mick McGuane on RSN 927 Breakfast show.

While Mick is an undoubted football brain, his ability to mangle grammatical tenses and mispronounce the English language, with the obvious intent to sound intellectual, is unbelievable.

That's because Riewoldt IS actually pronounced Ree-volt...:rolleyes:
Depends which side of the family you ask haha.
Went to school with Jack Riewoldt and I cannot recall a single time he pronounced his name ree-volt, was always Ree-wolt.
The whole family says Ree-wolt.
lol..how long has this crap been going on ? 12yrs ?
Only time i heard Nick speak away from press he said "you can call me ******* if u like i dont care" was about 2004 ish. Apparently its formally Volt but always been called Wolt including their fathers, who would be the blokes to ask. Jack's going to be around awhile so if he doesnt care why should anyone. The only people that cared for awhile were the poindexter commentators.
Like Maric at the tiges now...they're queing up trying to call him Evan or Ivan. Ask the bloke and he'd probably say who givesashyt.

Got a nephew named Stefan...his old man (BroinLaw) insists he be called correct pronunciation (Sch)tefan...bugga me, why ? He hates it. All his mates at school call him Danny...i'm starting to as well :D

In this country we call it as its spelt i reckon. Its bloody I van :thumbsu:

Worst jargon is anything stolen from other sports, especially yankisms. Cringewrothy amateurish garbage used by the insecure.

Some of the terms in here annoy me too but honestly if the commentators weren't allowed to use any of those nominated in this thread it would be pretty damn boring commentary. "Cotchin, handballs to Deledio, kicks it to Martin. Martin kicks it to Riewoldt. Riewoldt kicks a goal. Richmond add 6 points to their score. Well done Tigers!'

I'd argue that if you were put on the spot and had to commentate a game you would find yourself using plenty of these terms without even realising it too. Some of them serve an important purpose... fat side might sound stupid but it is a legitimate way of indicating space has opened up on the side of the ground with a lack of players.

People shouldn't get so worked up about the jargon used, yes, but the fact is commentary should enhance the football-watching experience, not detract from it. I would love to focus on what's on screen and nothing else, but some of the silly/odd phrases used don't really help to accurately describe what's going on and only serve to be a distraction instead of being informative and interesting.

And yeah, there's the option of switching off the tv completely, but I also want to hear things like stats, injury updates, maybe some insights the commentators have with regards to the players, coaches, game plan, etc. It's just unfortunate that the commentators get a kick of listening to their voices so much that they blabber on mindlessly, thinking that everything that shoots out of their mouths is gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Worst Football Jargon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back