There's something funny about these close Hawthorn wins...

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I know I'm biased because I'm tired of watching these close games where Hawthorn pinch it week after week, all the gushing from the commentators (particularly Bruce), all that wasted energy, but I really am starting to wonder...

There is something funny about how Hawthorn are winning all these close games. Can you remember any team managing so many close ones, where things just go to script so predictably? Bulldogs, Saints, Crows, and now the Swans. This isn't thread the umps favouring them, it's more than that. I just think it's more than Hawthorn being a great team (which I admit, it undoubtedly is), or deserving to win. It just strikes me as odd, something about it just seems almost a little too convenient, too scripted, like a Hollywood film...

Every time it's the same. The Hawks seem to pinch a few quick goals near the very end, as if beating the buzzer, and they are all so fast, so easy, it just looks like they have such incredible luck. Some might say the footy gods are smiling on them. Every bounce, every kick, just seems to go there way. Also, it just seems Hawthorn get a lot of these quick, easy goals, far more than any other side. Like from turnovers they seem to find so much space, so much run...it always seems like they have more players, more space. It could be something tactical, like Clarkson has a whole new system of doing things that other teams haven't caught onto yet. It's not just playing well, but the way they play. Even when not playing well they find a way to win. It's like they don't need to do as much to win, which does come down to footy smarts, skill, and those subtle things, but still, would it be bold of me to suggest something awry?

I guess we could speculate. It does seem the umps do favour Hawthorn in crucial moments, but I still feel that alone can't explain it. Honestly, i don't think it's sour grapes, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they're being favoured, or they have something extra on their side. Who knows, maybe performance enhancing drugs? lol. Nah it'd be too easy a slander to make. But of course not impossible, but with no evidence we couldn't lay that charge. Oh how sweet if it WAS, however. Or indeed match fixing? Who's to say the AFL isn't immune to that? Make it so every team LOOKS like they might beat the Hawks, but have the players, coaches, umps.etc arrange it so a Hawk's victory is guaranteed every time, usually off the boot of golden boy Rioli or Puopolo or or something, who magically just slices through the packs, or takes a stunning mark every bloody time, just at the right moment, as if they're not there and boots a goal to put them in front with a minute to go or something. Once that happens you know the end of the story, it's as predictable as clockwork. Maybe it will feed into the story of the Hawk's as some superhuman, unbeatable team, maybe the AFL wants a 4-peat, maybe they want an upset. Maybe the bookies are in on it. I don't know. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy theory, but in all honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

Well if they are, I might as well put money for the Hawks to win the Grand Final by a point now.

They do it because they practise it, have been doing so for 10 years, and have leaders that know exactly what to do and most importantly execute it.

I mean, Burgoyne, Lewis, Rioli, Mitchell, Smith do it every time FFS.

/thread

I know I'm biased because I'm tired of watching these close games where Hawthorn pinch it week after week, all the gushing from the commentators (particularly Bruce), all that wasted energy, but I really am starting to wonder...

There is something funny about how Hawthorn are winning all these close games. Can you remember any team managing so many close ones, where things just go to script so predictably? Bulldogs, Saints, Crows, and now the Swans. This isn't thread the umps favouring them, it's more than that. I just think it's more than Hawthorn being a great team (which I admit, it undoubtedly is), or deserving to win. It just strikes me as odd, something about it just seems almost a little too convenient, too scripted, like a Hollywood film...

Every time it's the same. The Hawks seem to pinch a few quick goals near the very end, as if beating the buzzer, and they are all so fast, so easy, it just looks like they have such incredible luck. Some might say the footy gods are smiling on them. Every bounce, every kick, just seems to go there way. Also, it just seems Hawthorn get a lot of these quick, easy goals, far more than any other side. Like from turnovers they seem to find so much space, so much run...it always seems like they have more players, more space. It could be something tactical, like Clarkson has a whole new system of doing things that other teams haven't caught onto yet. It's not just playing well, but the way they play. Even when not playing well they find a way to win. It's like they don't need to do as much to win, which does come down to footy smarts, skill, and those subtle things, but still, would it be bold of me to suggest something awry?

I guess we could speculate. It does seem the umps do favour Hawthorn in crucial moments, but I still feel that alone can't explain it. Honestly, i don't think it's sour grapes, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they're being favoured, or they have something extra on their side. Who knows, maybe performance enhancing drugs? lol. Nah it'd be too easy a slander to make. But of course not impossible, but with no evidence we couldn't lay that charge. Oh how sweet if it WAS, however. Or indeed match fixing? Who's to say the AFL isn't immune to that? Make it so every team LOOKS like they might beat the Hawks, but have the players, coaches, umps.etc arrange it so a Hawk's victory is guaranteed every time, usually off the boot of golden boy Rioli or Puopolo or or something, who magically just slices through the packs, or takes a stunning mark every bloody time, just at the right moment, as if they're not there and boots a goal to put them in front with a minute to go or something. Once that happens you know the end of the story, it's as predictable as clockwork. Maybe it will feed into the story of the Hawk's as some superhuman, unbeatable team, maybe the AFL wants a 4-peat, maybe they want an upset. Maybe the bookies are in on it. I don't know. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy theory, but in all honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

Well if they are, I might as well put money for the Hawks to win the Grand Final by a point now.
Nah mate. They are just too bloody good.

Jesus ****ing christ, conspiracy theory..? Are you high

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Hawks are being secretly aided by aliens. They've arranged for them to recruit a great coach, in a brilliant move, particularly when he had no experience. Then assisted them to recruit brilliantly and develop the talent they had better than everyone else. Now where seeing the end of their dastardly plan where a great team of hardened and experienced players know how to get over the line in the close one's. Cunning bastards.

The moon landing never happened, 9/11 was an inside job, aliens live among us.

They do it because they practise it, have been doing so for 10 years, and have leaders that know exactly what to do and most importantly execute it.

I mean, Burgoyne, Lewis, Rioli, Mitchell, Smith do it every time FFS.
exactly. the pressure forces teams to do things they don't have to do. all towers had to do was kick it long. all brodie smith had to do was kick it long. they get into the heads of the opponents.

A little bit of venting, a little bit of indulging my imagination a little bit. I don't know though, it just strikes me as strange how it's happening so much though.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's something funny about these close Hawthorn wins...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back