Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll see... i may ring ahead ask them if they've got what I want before i go over.

Otherwise ill just go Reece.

if you look up the item on your phone and then show them what you want, theyll look up the number and see where it is located etc (the website will let you know if they have it in stock (roughly))

God so what, they were good ppl. Who gives a shit if their university was reported on.
Itā€™s the subtle and sometimes unconscious ways that we report on things that reinforce stereotypes. Here, itā€™s the idea itā€™s even more important and more tragic because they went to Cambridge. Obviously bright and meant for great things. When itā€™s tragic regardless.

You can also see it in other types of reporting. One woman corrects newspaper headlines that report attacks on women. One example was something like ā€˜text message led man to attack partnerā€™, which was corrected to ā€˜violent manā€™s behaviour led to attack on womanā€™. It doesnā€™t hurt to notice bias and try to correct it.

Itā€™s the subtle and sometimes unconscious ways that we report on things that reinforce stereotypes. Here, itā€™s the idea itā€™s even more important and more tragic because they went to Cambridge. Obviously bright and meant for great things. When itā€™s tragic regardless.

You can also see it in other types of reporting. One woman corrects newspaper headlines that report attacks on women. One example was something like ā€˜text message led man to attack partnerā€™, which was corrected to ā€˜violent manā€™s behaviour led to attack on womanā€™. It doesnā€™t hurt to notice bias and try to correct it.
My favourite recently was the Chinese guy that allegedly killed his wife a split back home with the kids, the Oz reported him as being a "quiet man" and her as "nagging", like that somehow justified it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back