Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've banned menulog (and other delivery apps). I go pick it up in person and costs way cheaper.

It's also better for the restaurant.

My friend looks at me weird when I say I have never used Ubereats (or Menulog, Deliveroo etc) in my life.

I've banned menulog (and other delivery apps). I go pick it up in person and costs way cheaper.

Yeah but you'll never know the pleasure of having a rooster roll and chips delivered. Or a roast spud and can of drink. Or a jar of boiled lollies.

Support the poor bastards scratching a living in the gig economy.

It's also better for the restaurant.

My friend looks at me weird when I say I have never used Ubereats (or Menulog, Deliveroo etc) in my life.

I did... i got very hooked on it when i wasnt too good last year.

Never again tho.

I got a new "regular" thai place. Its nice having a chat to the staff as well there.

It like 99% of covid rules, they dont make sense, its just the optics of trying to lessen exposure etc
Like walking into a cafe to get a take away coffee I had to wear a mask but directly behind me were people sitting without one. The ****

snoop dogg and people like him sh*t me to death.

the guy has been involved in drug trafficking, drug possession, traffic violations, multiple firearm violations, taking weapons on airlines, assault, vandalism, bankruptcy and was the driver in a shooting where a man was killed. the guy still regularly gets caught in possession of drugs and for taking drugs.

then goes on tv and movies and flaunts his addiction and refuses to change.

menulog must have been smoking something when they thought a convicted drug addict was the best person to be in their ads.
Assaulted by Snoop Dog? I guess no one wants to cop a bong to the head

we very rarely, uber eats, menulog etc, mainly because we have **** all places around us and the only places that we get takeaway from are Chinese and our local pizza store who don't use it and the chicken shop they has a limited menu for uber eats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i cant get uber eats or menulog or any of those to my place. even dominos charges delivery fee apparently according to my nearest neighbour.
doesnt bother me - i prefer to go get it and eat it there as its hot and fresher than delivered i would have thought

In covid we got Uber eats app to see what we could get delivered, there were around 5 places we could order from and had no interest in getting anything from them (couple of pizza, FnC and that was about it) - id order through the pizza place if i wanted it and the FnC shops are 5 min walk down the road.

I don't use any of those food delivery apps either, I've got a heap of fast food places within about a 10 minute drive so I'll just go and pick it up myself.

Only reason I could justify using them was if i was too drunk to drive anywhere.

Yeah apparently.....but then again they have to sign up to become a restaurant on Uber eats etc? so does it really matter?

It does, because the margins are a lot thinner using Ubereats et al. Better a small margin than no margin, sure (ie the Ubereats et al customer doesn't even know you exist), but if it's just as easy and cheaper for you to go there yourself - then why not?

The difference between fresh pizza straight from the oven and after half an hour sweating in the box is massive
Same goes for most food.
If im home Im cooking if Im out someone else is
Delivery is a bit meh

Copyright == biggest corporation $$$ wins

Google stole / plagiarised 11,330 lines of code from Java to put into the Android OS. Oracle sued.

Putting a snippet of someone else's video into yours is "fair use"

Quoting a passage in a book is "fair use"

Including a recording of part of someone's speech in your podcast is "fair use"

Having the same eight notes in a song is theft and punishable with mega fines and damages

Copying a VHS tape is the same as stealing a car

Copying over 11000 lines of code is not, apparently, according to the US Supreme Court. Oracle lost because it was deemed "fair use" by Google.

Why is Shaq doing terrible PointsBet commercials? He made squillions during his playing career and has a huge media profile. He wouldn't be hard up for cash.
Easy money for a day's work, on ads that won't air in the US.

It does, because the margins are a lot thinner using Ubereats et al. Better a small margin than no margin, sure (ie the Ubereats et al customer doesn't even know you exist), but if it's just as easy and cheaper for you to go there yourself - then why not?

My point was more the restaurants who cry 'poor me' when uber eats picks up their food when, im pretty sure, the restaurant has to sign up to be an uber eats supplier etc....its their choice.

Copyright == biggest corporation $$$ wins

Google stole / plagiarised 11,330 lines of code from Java to put into the Android OS. Oracle sued.

Putting a snippet of someone else's video into yours is "fair use"

Quoting a passage in a book is "fair use"

Including a recording of part of someone's speech in your podcast is "fair use"

Having the same eight notes in a song is theft and punishable with mega fines and damages

Copying a VHS tape is the same as stealing a car

Copying over 11000 lines of code is not, apparently, according to the US Supreme Court. Oracle lost because it was deemed "fair use" by Google.
While I certainly agree that copywrite law needs to be overhauled, it seems like this Google vs Oracle case was decided correctly if the way its reported by tech news is anything to go by.

The fact that one of the judges along the way that happened to also be a programmer (and therefore would have had a better understanding of the case than most) ruled in favour of Google says a fair bit too imo
As US District Court of Northern California judge William Alsup, one of the few judges who's also a programmer, who ruled in Google's favor years ago, wrote: An API is merely "a long hierarchy of over six thousand commands to carry out pre-assigned functions. For that reason, it cannot receive copyright protection -- patent protection perhaps -- but not copyright protection." Oracle lost its Java patent lawsuit long ago.

Last edited:
The fact that one of the judges along the way that happened to also be a programmer (and therefore would have had a better understanding of the case than most) ruled in favour of Google says a fair bit too imo

Thanks for the clarification. There is a difference between lines of code and strings of API calls. I shall get off my high horse now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back