Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I’d rather just flick a switch and pay the going rate. Like we’ve always done…
Well in a cost of living crisis any extra bit you can save is a bonus if you have the ability to do so.

Well in a cost of living crisis any extra bit you can save is a bonus if you have the ability to do so.
Id love to get the stats on how many mortgage holders have switched from principal+interest on their repayments to just interest only - to help with cashflow.

that only works if you've been setup to be independent of the grid

same with solar, you have to be able to isolate and run offline or you get force shut down

having a battery doesn't automatically mean you are setup like that either
^^^ this ^^^

Unless your setup has isolators, by law any loss of incoming power instantly shuts down the inverter and you have no power regardless of having a battery.

We got solar 18 months ago, the economics for a battery didn't stack up then but we will definitely revisit the numbers should we lose the current 11c feed in (we've switched providers twice when they've changed our deal to the 5.5c default).

The problem with batteries and EV's is it's nothing more than a power struggle for a share of the market. It's got less to do with reducing carbon emissions. If we removed ever singe ICE vehicle tomorrow the overall reduction in emissions would be small and then on current levels, superseded within the next 20 years through growth.

We need more readily available public transport which ultimately uses less space to transport each person. I've discussed this elsewhere that we could rip up roads, invest more in efficient and reliable transport and make cities more connectable. The sheer value of land beneath a road is surely worth investing in for better connected cities.

Id love to get the stats on how many mortgage holders have switched from principal+interest on their repayments to just interest only - to help with cashflow.
Probably far less than you think regards to their own home. (Retail) Lending is still a heavily regulated industry and the combination of both owner-occupied and interest-only is a rare (and questionable) product choice.

I thought you could only do that for 6 months or so anyway.

In terms of investment properties I'd imagine people would be trying to make them neutral or positive geared.

Probably far less than you think regards to their own home. (Retail) Lending is still a heavily regulated industry and the combination of both owner-occupied and interest-only is a rare (and questionable) product choice.

There is probably a couple of banks out there that would oblige but been a long time since I saw it. If someone was buying vacant land to build you might be able to get 12 months interest only on a land loan, before another 12 months on progress draws when you come back for the build, but that's about as far as that would stretch now.

10 years ago people used to get a few years I/O to save for weddings. Not going to fly at most places in the current environment.

There is probably a couple of banks out there that would oblige but been a long time since I saw it. If someone was buying vacant land to build you might be able to get 12 months interest only on a land loan, before another 12 months on progress draws when you come back for the build, but that's about as far as that would stretch now.

10 years ago people used to get a few years I/O to save for weddings. Not going to fly at most places in the current environment.
What if you had a couple hundred k of equity or even half a mill of equity- more likely then?

What if you had a couple hundred k of equity or even half a mill of equity- more likely then?

I mean if you had no equity, banks wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but ultimately it is just something that is frowned upon by the regulators under responsible lending. When I started you'd have people on 5 years interest only at one bank and when the period ends they would just refinance to the next bank on 5 years interest only again. Result is that you never actually pay your house off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tilers at my house build.
You'd presume they could read paperwork and do whats paid for.

Let's column tile the laundry
Wrong!
Paid for brick pattern

Let's only do half the kitchen and not do up to the ceiling behind where the range hood will eventually be
Wrong!
Paid to go to ceiling

Can't wait to see how you've ****ed the bathrooms up

Muppets

Id love to get the stats on how many mortgage holders have switched from principal+interest on

Wrong!
Paid for brick pattern

Let's only do half the kitchen and not do up to the ceiling behind where the range hood will eventually be
Wrong!
Paid to go to ceiling

Muppets
The house we’re in now on the day the footings were to be laid we pointed out that the house was facing 90 degrees in the wrong direction, I had all the measurements laid out for them where to dig it. They wanted to keep it that way even though my solar panels wouldn’t work, it wasn’t approved for that position 🤦‍♂️

Wrong!
Paid for brick pattern

Wrong!
Paid to go to ceiling

Muppets
If it's in the contract I hope you're making them do it again or getting a credit?

I mean if you had no equity, banks wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but ultimately it is just something that is frowned upon by the regulators under responsible lending. When I started you'd have people on 5 years interest only at one bank and when the period ends they would just refinance to the next bank on 5 years interest only again. Result is that you never actually pay your house off.
In 2000 where you could see the boom you could take the risk with promise of growth but we also know people lost everything stacking properties.

If I bought an investment property I would go to a 90% LVR so long as I could afford the difference. But back in the day people would do this 20 times over. Banks simply dont allow that ease any more.

Wrong!
Paid for brick pattern

Wrong!
Paid to go to ceiling

Muppets
Making them fix it?

Making them fix it?
yeah, was an additional cost so its been paid for
even the build company we went with said wtf do they not read the plans?
went to site today to see if we could get access with tradies being there but no one was working.
typical lol
we are also getting independent inspections at three stages of the build, so they cant get away with shit

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back