Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I get these random headaches which I've decided (after Googling) are called "hypnic headaches"

Basically I go to bed feeling fine but wake up around 2hrs after , every night, with a headache around the back of eyes back of head/neck.

It's almost clockwork around 2am most nights and apparently has something about sleep stages that turn on sections of your brain at certain points.

One of the things that can help is caffeine just before bed which I've tried this week and haven't had a headache.

Feels weird having an espresso before bed but it has been working so that's good.

Also a coke/nurofen was helping but I found I had to have it before any symptoms... once I had the headache I had to ride it out.

Did heaps of trial and error, thought it was lookingbat my phone before bed but eliminated that and still got it so not sure

Very odd.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I get these random headaches which I've decided (after Googling) are called "hypnic headaches"

Basically I go to bed feeling fine but wake up around 2hrs after , every night, with a headache around the back of eyes back of head/neck.

It's almost clockwork around 2am most nights and apparently has something about sleep stages that turn on sections of your brain at certain points.

One of the things that can help is caffeine just before bed which I've tried this week and haven't had a headache.

Feels weird having an espresso before bed but it has been working so that's good.

Also a coke/nurofen was helping but I found I had to have it before any symptoms... once I had the headache I had to ride it out.

Did heaps of trial and error, thought it was lookingbat my phone before bed but eliminated that and still got it so not sure

Very odd.

I usually have an ice cold coke as well to help but as you say, it has to be right on the onset. I've found the panadol + caffeine tablets useful.

Yeh I gotta admit seeing little scratches and such healing almost overnight is amazing but burns are another bag. Reports saying he needs some pretty extensive skin grafts are really worrying.

He likely won’t remember it but I think it’s almost certain he’ll have some lasting physical scars.

The perpetrator should cop a lengthy custodial sentence with extensive mental health rehabilitation. The choice to attack some random in a park with boiling water, let alone a mother and baby, is ****ing evil.
One simply cannot fathom......

certainly this morning i complained about getting up so early. then remembered little luka and told myself to harden up

Very odd.

I get them too, I wake up at 2am feeling very energetic but the headache gets steadily worse. Annoyingly when I stand up it improves but when I lie down it throbs.

I reckon the change in weather affects mine. I've noticed I've got an intolerance to orange coloured foods - orange cordial. Sunkist, carrots sweet potato etc. If I cut them out it helps but not always .

Luckily I've got a mental illness (bi polar) so my doctor gives me sleeping pills of various sorts. It's hard to get up for work if I neck them at 3am though.

Codeine was the best cure but it's banned OTC. Caffeine definitely helps.

I stopped having headaches for years & in the last two they've returned.

Last edited:
I ended up going to the pharmacy yesterday and they sold me high strength aspirin (500mg) and told me to take two, then panadol with caffeine and nurofen 4 hours later. It worked.
From the "things that shit me the thirteenth" thread:

I used to frequently have crippling migraines and had to lie in the dark with a puke bucket my friend and only comfort. When I went to the States in '98 I came down with one and staggered into a Walgreens, the chemist grabbed a bottle of Excedrin, gave me two and had me sit down in the back. Less than half an hour later I was cured. Cured! I immediately bought the miracle product. Of course it isn't available in NZ or Australia, so each time I went back to the US I brought some back just in case. I don't get them more than once every couple of years now, and the Excedrin is long gone. :(

So I looked up the ingredients, quick trip to Chemist Warehouse and I'm a happy and migraine-free bunny.

2 x Excedrin Migraine == 500mg paracetamol, 500mg aspirin, 130mg caffeine (I did not tell you this)

People who drive black or dark grey cars & don't put on their lights on, on a dark, rainy 7:30am Warrnambool morning. Lowbeams would do.

Not only are they hard to see, but its difficult to gauge how far behind you they are. It messes with my depth perception.

Forgot my book so now I gotta sit outside my kids’ dance class just scrolling the same 3 apps I usually do wahhh

I feel the same way when my daughter is at gymnastics. I forget my tin whistle, book or both

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll get "warnings" that a headache is coming, my vision goes, get spots and can't see properly
Sometimes a couple of Panadol heads it off sometimes its lie in the dark and try and sleep and hope tomorrow is better

For the last week I've had on and off headaches from pulling muscles in my back when sneezing so that's been great

Annoyingly when I stand up it improves but when I lie down it throbs.

Yes! Same!

I lay on bed and it won't go away but I get up and pace around it feels better, doesn't go away but helps.

I thought it may have been a sinus type thing coz when I pop my ears it feels better for a second

Getting old I guess lol

Yes! Same!

I lay on bed and it won't go away but I get up and pace around it feels better, doesn't go away but helps.

I thought it may have been a sinus type thing coz when I pop my ears it feels better for a second

Getting old I guess lol

90% of this thread is getting old complaints.

I'll get "warnings" that a headache is coming, my vision goes, get spots and can't see properly
Sometimes a couple of Panadol heads it off sometimes its lie in the dark and try and sleep and hope tomorrow is better

For the last week I've had on and off headaches from pulling muscles in my back when sneezing so that's been great
For a couple of decades, every few months, say twice a year, I get the zigzag vision. It lasts maybe 20 minutes, no other ill effects. But last time it happened just as I was about to go to sleep and I got a headache. Not super bad but seemed to travel around the left side of my head from just above my eye over to the back. A couple of Panadols did the trick. Hope it doesn't happen next time.

I found this picture of what the zigzags look like, they are hard to describe.

Painted by a sufferer, it's close. Mine always come from the right side and they kind of sparkle and pulsate.

Migraine Photo_2024-08-31_132033.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back