Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

And so you should be welcomed to country when you land on a domestic flight.

There's about 600,000 domestic flights in Australia every year. It would be ridiculous to have a Welcome to Country ceremony every time a plane lands.

The logic breaks down even more when you look at train or car journeys that cross traditional Aboriginal borders. Are people supposed to be welcomed every time they go to their office?

There's about 600,000 domestic flights in Australia every year. It would be ridiculous to have a Welcome to Country ceremony every time a plane lands.

The logic breaks down even more when you look at train or car journeys that cross traditional Aboriginal borders. Are people supposed to be welcomed every time they go to their office?

You just being ridiculous re offices. I know so tough to have a recording play as you land. How would people cope? The racists certainly wouldn't.

You just being ridiculous re offices. I know so tough to have a recording play as you land. How would people cope? The racists certainly wouldn't.

You said you wanted 'welcomed to country when you land on a domestic flight'.

That's 600,000 domestic flights in Australia every year. Welcome to country needs to be performed by an elder not a recording.

That's 600,000 domestic flights in Australia every year. Welcome to country needs to be performed by an elder not a recording.

Virgin has an Acknowledgement of Country that’s given upon landing

Gee thanks for the education on Welcome to Country and by the way it does not have to be an elder. Also, it can be performed by an elder or designated Aboriginal on a recording.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta admit we did acknowledgement to country from a script and no one ever thought about it.

It was raised by an indigenous staff member that if we want to do them properly we should research it and write our own, which we all did (including researching the traditional custodians of the land of your home and work) and it was really worthwhile.

When i lead that now in our meetings, i quite enjoy it and find it to be a moment to consider the whole journey the country and its indigenous peoples have had.

Honestly it takes 30 seconds and i cant think of a single meeting that didnt waste substantially more time than that anyway.

Ticketek...

I don't mind the new visual queue notification, but the main thing it tells everyone is that if tickets are to go on sale at 10am then make sure you jump on line an hour or so earlier to be at the top of queue

Wonder what would happen if they made it so that if there was an on sale time, that anyone who logged in prior to that time to try to get to the start of the queue was kicked to the back once the on sale time starts, with those logging in on time getting priority instead

Gee thanks for the education on Welcome to Country and by the way it does not have to be an elder. Also, it can be performed by an elder or designated Aboriginal on a recording.

Welcome to Country was not ubiquitous to all indigenous groups. It has become a myth attached to the notion of one Aborigine culture. In those Aborigine groups that had the practise, outsiders were required to camp outside the territory until welcomed, then abide by the local traditions during their stay.

But we don't live in an Aborigine society from 50,000 years ago. It is ridiculous to propose that each of the 600,000 domestic flights in Australia every year does circles round the destination airport until a Welcome to Country ceremony is carried out. Equally ridiculous would be all the passengers having to agree to obey the local Aborigine laws.

To follow your point further, shouldn't there be a Welcome to Country every time someone drives between 'countries' in a car, or a train passes through a territorial boundary?

This topic comes up every 3-6 months. Surely everyone knows what an ATC/WTC is by now?!

Yes it's overused, yes it's easily ignored, yes you can just roll your eyes and change channel for 30 seconds or tune out. It's no big deal that it's on...

Only shits me at work as it's often 4 white people sitting in a room taking it in turns reading off a script because some suit said to and no one knows why or cares about it, so why bother. Then having to do it at every single meeting with the same blasé attitude, pointless. But as Phants said, what meeting doesn't have time waste topics anyway

At sport, or on TV I'm not paying attention until the game starts, doesn't matter what's on until then

Welcome to Country was not ubiquitous to all indigenous groups. It has become a myth attached to the notion of one Aborigine culture. In those Aborigine groups that had the practise, outsiders were required to camp outside the territory until welcomed, then abide by the local traditions during their stay.

But we don't live in an Aborigine society from 50,000 years ago. It is ridiculous to propose that each of the 600,000 domestic flights in Australia every year does circles round the destination airport until a Welcome to Country ceremony is carried out. Equally ridiculous would be all the passengers having to agree to obey the local Aborigine laws.

To follow your point further, shouldn't there be a Welcome to Country every time someone drives between 'countries' in a car, or a train passes through a territorial boundary?
1- Theres no way you could logistically do the WTC for people driving between places, if you could roll it onto local radio, i dont see any issue with it
2- I think as a concession for the indigenous people and what was done to them its pretty low rent to just do it, short version, why care so much?

I get if youre arguing we should do more than this but why do less when its already so utterly innoffensive.

I can probably understand some intent and logistical issues with a WELCOME to country (noting i dont share them) but anyone taking issue with an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT to country is just... odd.
I think ATC is worse than WTC. A is usually done at work in meaningless settings whereas W is usually done at international sporting events so a 'welcome' would make more sense to the overseas visitors?

I personally tune out and share the view that I dont need 'welcoming' to my own country, but at least that one makes some 'sense' to do. I struggle to get behind an acknowledgement logically speaking

I think ATC is worse than WTC. A is usually done at work in meaningless settings whereas W is usually done at international sporting events so a 'welcome' would make more sense to the overseas visitors?

I personally tune out and share the view that I dont need 'welcoming' to my own country, but at least that one makes some 'sense' to do. I struggle to get behind an acknowledgement logically speaking
You find a 30 second spiel at the start of meetings etc. Is some major offense to you?

Never said that

I said logically speaking a welcome makes more sense than an acknowledgement
Fair enough.

The acknowledgement is just such a minor imposition on even those who are the most vehemently opposed i just dont see why it even warrants a mention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back