Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Country was not ubiquitous to all indigenous groups. It has become a myth attached to the notion of one Aborigine culture. In those Aborigine groups that had the practise, outsiders were required to camp outside the territory until welcomed, then abide by the local traditions during their stay.

But we don't live in an Aborigine society from 50,000 years ago. It is ridiculous to propose that each of the 600,000 domestic flights in Australia every year does circles round the destination airport until a Welcome to Country ceremony is carried out. Equally ridiculous would be all the passengers having to agree to obey the local Aborigine laws.

To follow your point further, shouldn't there be a Welcome to Country every time someone drives between 'countries' in a car, or a train passes through a territorial boundary?

I will ask nicely not to use the word ‘Aborigine’ it is offensive.

1- Theres no way you could logistically do the WTC for people driving between places, if you could roll it onto local radio, i dont see any issue with it

The logistical problems of a Welcome to Country every time someone crosses between 'country' highlights the nonsense of it. Not all indigenous groups had that ritual but where it applied, outsiders were required to camp outside the territory until welcomed, then abide by the local traditions during their stay.

We don't live in that world now. We have free movement of people across Australia by modern transport systems. By and large, in a WTC ceremony people are being welcomed to an area where they already live. And no one is expected to live by ancient Aboriginal laws.

1- Theres no way you could logistically do the WTC for people driving between places, if you could roll it onto local radio, i dont see any issue with it
2- I think as a concession for the indigenous people and what was done to them its pretty low rent to just do it, short version, why care so much?

I get if youre arguing we should do more than this but why do less when its already so utterly innoffensive.

Plenty of people that live in Victoria drive past this sign every day. Literally thousands of similar examples exist.

Frank Bunn How come no one is whining about it?

1726468244399.png

Plenty of people that live in Victoria drive past this sign every day. Literally thousands of similar examples exist.

Frank Bunn How come no one is whining about it?

View attachment 2112563

How often do we drive past them when entering a new town - "Welcome to Geelong", "Welcome to Ballarat" etc

It's crazy how there's some things that are so common place in our lives that we don't think twice about them, but when there's a slight variation and it makes us think a bit more, that's when it becomes an issue

The logistical problems of a Welcome to Country every time someone crosses between 'country' highlights the nonsense of it. Not all indigenous groups had that ritual but where it applied, outsiders were required to camp outside the territory until welcomed, then abide by the local traditions during their stay.

We don't live in that world now. We have free movement of people across Australia by modern transport systems. By and large, in a WTC ceremony people are being welcomed to an area where they already live. And no one is expected to live by ancient Aboriginal laws.
What in the world are you on about?

No one is suggesting it’s some sort of administrative requirement, it’s a ceremonial and ritualistic acknowledgment of the traditional owners.

Nobody but you is suggesting we need one for every crossing into a different traditional owners land. I simply made the point that we could probably do that with a radio broadcast and it would impact you about as much as it does now.

What in the world are you on about?

No one is suggesting it’s some sort of administrative requirement, it’s a ceremonial and ritualistic acknowledgment of the traditional owners.

Nobody but you is suggesting we need one for every crossing into a different traditional owners land. I simply made the point that we could probably do that with a radio broadcast and it would impact you about as much as it does now.

Re-read the thread.

South of the Yarra said

you should be welcomed to country when you land on a domestic flight.​
That suggests we need a Welcome to Country for every crossing into a different traditional owner's land.

Re-read the thread.

South of the Yarra said

That suggests we need a Welcome to Country for every crossing into a different traditional owner's land.

I did not suggest that for every crossing into a different 'Country' we need a Welcome to Country. If this was the case, you would have 40 Welcome's to Country on a flight from Darwin to Melbourne. I said on arrival a Welcome to country should be played on a video screen as you enter the destination.

Re-read the thread.

South of the Yarra said

But wait, there's more.

DOWN DOWN, PRICES ARE DOWN

Every ad break. But that's fine, you grew up with capitalism, it's normal.

I'm pretty sure the_interloper or phantom13 mentioned this some time ago. But **** me it is frustrating when your missus chucks something like a plate that has just had toast on it into a dish that is soaking in the sink that has already had oil or something in it.

It's bloody soaking for a reason. Don't dump more shit in there!

I'm pretty sure the_interloper or phantom13 mentioned this some time ago. But **** me it is frustrating when your missus chucks something like a plate that has just had toast on it into a dish that is soaking in the sink that has already had oil or something in it.

It's bloody soaking for a reason. Don't dump more shit in there!

To add to that, I hate when people just chuck a pan that is still covered in oil and/or fat into the sink without giving it a clean first. It is not too much to ask that you give it a wipe with some paper towel so all that shit ends up in the bin and not down the drain.

How often do we drive past them when entering a new town - "Welcome to Geelong", "Welcome to Ballarat" etc

A road sign saying Welcome to Geelong is just a road sign saying Welcome to Geelong. It's a friendly way of saying "You are entering Geelong". There's a probably a sign on the other side of the road that says "Thank you for visiting Geelong". It doesn't involve a paid ceremony that has to be performed by a member of a particular race. It doesn't imply that people heading to Geelong need to get permission before they enter. It doesn't mean that you have to agree to conform to the local customs, such as getting blotto at Lamby's and barracking for the Cats.

It's crazy how there's some things that are so common place in our lives that we don't think twice about them, but when there's a slight variation and it makes us think a bit more, that's when it becomes an issue

Welcome to Country has been accepted and promoted without us thinking about it too much. The term was invented in the 1980s. The ceremony was not ubiquitous across all indigenous groups. It became a thing in the modern era after some scared hippies wanted approval to use some land for a festival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A road sign saying Welcome to Geelong is just a road sign saying Welcome to Geelong. It's a friendly way of saying "You are entering Geelong". There's a probably a sign on the other side of the road that says "Thank you for visiting Geelong". It doesn't involve a paid ceremony that has to be performed by a member of a particular race. It doesn't imply that people heading to Geelong need to get permission before they enter. It doesn't mean that you have to agree to conform to the local customs, such as getting blotto at Lamby's and barracking for the Cats.

Welcome to Country has been accepted and promoted without us thinking about it too much. The term was invented in the 1980s. The ceremony was not ubiquitous across all indigenous groups. It became a thing in the modern era after some scared hippies wanted approval to use some land for a festival.

Well someone paid for the sign and honestly you’re not getting permission to come onto the lands in a welcome, you’re already there.

The mental gymnastics here to hate on the welcome are truly impressive.

It is a shame that people did not seek permission before entering this land 250 years ago. Maybe we would not have the disparity we have with Aboriginal people today.

Then make people feel welcome, and happy, not lectured to or talked down to. Some presenters manage to do this. And do it for free. Generosity and goodwill are contagious.
Weird to feel talked down to or lectured in a welcome or acknowledgement. Can say unequivocally I have never felt that way.

It doesn't imply that people heading to Geelong need to get permission before they enter. It doesn't mean that you have to agree to conform to the local customs,
Which local customs do you have to agree to during a welcome to country at a football match?

What happens if you don't agree to those local customs?

It doesn't involve a paid ceremony that has to be performed by a member of a particular race.
Ah! I think I see the core of your argument.

I think we all see it.

Then make people feel welcome, and happy, not lectured to or talked down to. Some presenters manage to do this. And do it for free. Generosity and goodwill are contagious.
So it's all about your feelings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back