Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

George Costanza Fire GIF

Pokies were the death of live music here

Why have a band room when you can have pokies.

We've never had pokies in pubs in Perth but a lot of great live music pubs have still bitten the dust here in the last 20 odd years.

It was more the NIMBY types moving into places near to the pubs and complaining about the loud noise that got them shut down.

If you move into a place near to a live music pub you should have no right to complain about the noise, if you don't like it move.

We've never had pokies in pubs in Perth but a lot of great live music pubs have still bitten the dust here in the last 20 odd years.

It was more the NIMBY types moving into places near to the pubs and complaining about the loud noise that got them shut down.
That happened here as well, pokies just made it faster
If you move into a place near to a live music pub you should have no right to complain about the noise, if you don't like it move.
Gentrification always sucks

Colleague turned 50 today. Earlier this week someone else in my team sent an email asking if anybody wanted to chip in and get her a present (including HR, who is also part of our team in a way).

Anyway, HR came out and said no (as well as our manager), we didn't do anything for the EA (who she shares an office with) who turned 60 earlier in the year.

But bloody hell, you can't do something nice for someone? We all get along very well, and we are all fans of the HR manager, and the EA. It was just so disappointing we were told no, we can't do that because we didn't do something for someone else and it might look like favouritism etc.

We ended up getting a gift anyway and HR and my team's manager don't know. JFC though, what a bloody joke.

Big list of very good WA acts .

Reminds me of an issue from a couple of years back in Geelong - over the past decade there's been significant increase in housing developments in the Geelong region, including high rise options just on the outskirts of the CBD, especially in the vicinity of the Deakin Waterfront Campus

One such highrise was built in the block across from the uni and nearly next to a venue who's history as a hotel goes back to 1854 (so just a few years old...), but has recently been overtaken by new owners

Not sure how long the residential building had been open before the head of the body corporate along with other tenants lodged noise complaints about the venue, raised questions about an extension and such - here's the kicker, the head of the body corporate was the venues previous owner and fully aware of everything before moving into their new accommodation

I thought that was total BS, but they seemed to be the ones getting their way

That happened here as well, pokies just made it faster

Gentrification always sucks

Yeah a lot of the great live pub venues were in the western suburbs in Perth which weren't expensive places to live back in the 70s or 80s when those pubs were in their heyday but people moving into houses there now are paying over a million bucks for one.

It wasn't just the noise of the bands themselves it was all the undesirable people that those pubs would attract like bogans and bikies when bands like The Angels or The Screaming Jets would roll into town and play gigs there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There used to be pokies in the Menzies pub. Don't think they were a big revenue raisers though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back