Society & Culture Things that Shit me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An odd comment if you play in the same grade? Kind of proves my point that your combination of thin skin and taking yourself way too seriously plays against you in certain situations.
I don't now. I filled in for the first half of the year. Not sure how me 'bantering' with you proves your point

I dislike people I don't like/who don't like me insulting me at my workplace is thin skin and taking myself too seriously?

I think you take bigfooty too seriously, if you correlate my posting style to how I respond to certain situations

As I said in an earlier post I am more shitted that she was asked at all.

I know it's slimpickings in the media but surely there are academics in this country who can offer a more insightful view into these sorts of issues.

good points. morning show hosts should stick to hosting. on both 7 and 9 they trot our hosts who answer questions asked by their cohosts on issues of the day. hence why the tv stays off in the morning. fabrication.

I'm probably not explaining it well. Left or right of what?

haha just kidding mate. the thread has been talking politics, left vs right. just wanted to insert some political talk into your topic. poor attempt by me :D

I'll preface this by saying that I know absolutely nothing about this Sonia woman, other than that she was (I think) the host of one of those talent shows, so the answer might be obvious; but is there a reason that people are dismissing her opinion as uneducated? As in, is there a reason that everyone is assuming that she is not across the complexities of the Muslim immigration topic, or at least as well informed as those whose opinions are taken seriously?

I'll preface this by saying that I know absolutely nothing about this Sonia woman, other than that she was (I think) the host of one of those talent shows, so the answer might be obvious; but is there a reason that people are dismissing her opinion as uneducated? As in, is there a reason that everyone is assuming that she is not across the complexities of the Muslim immigration topic, or at least as well informed as those whose opinions are taken seriously?

I wouldn't say dismissing, but as someone said earlier, her opinion is not worth more than the average joe's and yet it's broadcast and talked about just because she's a famous person. We don't ask AFL footballers for ideas on renewable energy sources or their stance on the Israel/Palestine conflict for the same reason we shouldn't be asking light entertainment TV hosts for their opinions on immigration issues. Perhaps Sonia is secretly an expert, but I've yet to see any evidence of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say dismissing, but as someone said earlier, her opinion is not worth more than the average joe's and yet it's broadcast and talked about just because she's a famous person. We don't ask AFL footballers for ideas on renewable energy sources or their stance on the Israel/Palestine conflict for the same reason we shouldn't be asking light entertainment TV hosts for their opinions on immigration issues. Perhaps Sonia is secretly an expert, but I've yet to see any evidence of that.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. Your last sentence is what I am talking about though - how would anyone know her level of knowledge in this area? As you say, she may be an expert. Seems to me that a lot of people (rightly) disagree with her opinion and therefore (wrongly) assume that she doesn't know what she is talking about.

I didn't realise staying at home made you stupid and your opinion irrelevant
That's not what anyone said
Stay at home mums can't relate to academics

Stay at home mums are opinionated

You tell me what these statements mean
That you are taking what people have said out of context to create a silly argument that makes no sense.

That awkward moment when you inadvertently support the argument that you were against and no one made in the first place.:D

Stay at home mums have no more or less right to an opinion than anyone else, but **** me (generalisation mode: engaged) do they have an opinion on ****ing everything.

Modern parents in general are pretty insufferable and feel the need to not only share their ill-informed opinions with the world but preface each one with 'as a parent...' as though it somehow adds weight to an argument that is either feebly supported or demonstrably incorrect.

Once upon a time you had light entertainment. Hey Hey it's Saturday, Rove etc. And you had news and current affairs, which was broken down into your commercial news, Today Tonight etc., then your more serious ABC and SBS news, 7.30 Report, and then your proper investigative journalism like 4 Corners, maybe even 60 Minutes if you go back in time a ways.

These days the lines are blurred. For whatever reason people love The Project, which tries to cover all bases. Waleed and Carrie are like the King and Queen of Aussie TV. There are much better journalists and people much more qualified to comment on particular topics, but the average person doesn't care what (example Project guest) Economics Professor McNerdface with a PhD in the effects of negative gearing thinks, they just want to hear from Waleed.

Social media has played a big role. 10 years ago a bored housewife like Em Rusciano would've faded into obscurity after singing badly on Australian Idol. Instead she posts her inane ramblings, thousands of people follow her on Twitter and comment on her inane ramblings and before long she's featured on news.com.au. The ****? Is that how journalism works now?

One thing that really shits me, is people who have been spouting out vitriol towards Sonia Kruger and her comments regarding the ban of Muslim immigration.

Now I'm not going to comment either way, because I'm not trying to have a say myself. But what shits me, is that a person can't share their thoughts, in a country that supposedly has free speech. .

Free speech just protects the right to say what you like - it doesn't protect you from your bigoted views being subsequently called out or from people rightfully questioning your opinion. In no way was her right to free speech violated - she freely spoke her views and was not punished by the law - just the court of public opinion.

Once upon a time you had light entertainment. Hey Hey it's Saturday, Rove etc. And you had news and current affairs, which was broken down into your commercial news, Today Tonight etc., then your more serious ABC and SBS news, 7.30 Report, and then your proper investigative journalism like 4 Corners, maybe even 60 Minutes if you go back in time a ways.

These days the lines are blurred. For whatever reason people love The Project, which tries to cover all bases. Waleed and Carrie are like the King and Queen of Aussie TV. There are much better journalists and people much more qualified to comment on particular topics, but the average person doesn't care what (example Project guest) Economics Professor McNerdface with a PhD in the effects of negative gearing thinks, they just want to hear from Waleed.

Social media has played a big role. 10 years ago a bored housewife like Em Rusciano would've faded into obscurity after singing badly on Australian Idol. Instead she posts her inane ramblings, thousands of people follow her on Twitter and comment on her inane ramblings and before long she's featured on news.com.au. The ****? Is that how journalism works now?

you a a man of knowledge. in the past there were clear delineated lines defining entertainment and journalism/investigative reporting. now they have become one. some boffin in tv decided to rationalise it with "its what the people want" and everyone else followed. just like ch 7 AFL people justifying their inane banter as entertaining the public/ratings tell us its what they want.

take a look at news au website. how often do they report the story, then insert tweets from randoms? they'll state that people agree with the hanson see (post tweet). but others are outraged (post tweet).

another thing. i reckon you cant go a day on news.com.au without seeing an article with the words "outraged" in his heading or article

Yeah this whole news cycle has become ridiculous these days, any controversial topic like Muslim immigration or Eddie's comments about Caro gets commented on by lightweight media types like Sonia Kruger, Waleed Aly and Carrie Bickmore. Their opinions make news on other tv shows or news websites then other lightweight media people or celebs give their opinions on their opinions, ie. they either disagree or agree, and that makes more news/controversy and so on and so on.

Like I said before they have hour long news bulletins and online news sites now which run out of proper news to report so fill it with this sort of inane shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back