Society & Culture Things that Shit me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
you a a man of knowledge. in the past there were clear delineated lines defining entertainment and journalism/investigative reporting. now they have become one. some boffin in tv decided to rationalise it with "its what the people want" and everyone else followed. just like ch 7 AFL people justifying their inane banter as entertaining the public/ratings tell us its what they want.

take a look at news au website. how often do they report the story, then insert tweets from randoms? they'll state that people agree with the hanson see (post tweet). but others are outraged (post tweet).

another thing. i reckon you cant go a day on news.com.au without seeing an article with the words "outraged" in his heading or article

Q&A for example is supposedly a high brow show painted as a round table discussion, but any opinion that doesn't fit the narrative is dismissed and they spend too much time talking about tweets that have come in and responding to tweeted questions.

News media like politics (the two being 'ever-so-slightly' linked) is a case of you get what you pay (vote) for. I look at news websites and there will be some nonsense about The Bachelor or the Kardashians or whatever the **** Em Rusciano thinks about some bullshit and will just keep scrolling, but when you get to the 'most viewed stories' part this crap is always up there. News websites are no different to traditional papers, they profit from selling advertising space. If 100,000 people care about whichever Kardashian's latest selfie then it takes precedence over some political insurgence in Central America which might actually be important.

Even footy journalism which has a pretty narrow band of topics has gone to shit. Scandal and rumour sells papers. Brisbane are a flavour of the month because they stink, but there's only so many times you can highlight an ordinary footy team before people get bored, so speculation about Leppitsch, player rifts, Rockliff, the board, AFL intervention etc. is the order of the day. I don't think Leppitsch is doing himself any favours biting at the bait dangled in front of him by journos, but I 100% understand wanting to tell them to EAD.

The only footy news that interests me is when the teams come out on Thursday arvo and when trades actually happen, contracts are actually signed and the draft actually takes place.

Kickass getting nuked THE VERY ****EN DAY Captain America Civil War dropped.
Like a phoenix from the ashes, it will rise again.

It's very rare to see a news article now on any topic that doesn't reference social media in some way.

Shits me
It's annoying, but social media is the quicken form of media and news at the moment.

What's more annoying, is that the journalism subjects I'm doing at the moment in uni all involve some form on online curation. Whether that be : writing for the online edition of a newspaper, writing for a blog, researching social media channels, creating a social media account, or writing an article only using social media. The above list are all assignments I've done in the past one and a half years.

It's annoying, but social media is the quicken form of media and news at the moment.

What's more annoying, is that the journalism subjects I'm doing at the moment in uni all involve some form on online curation. Whether that be : writing for the online edition of a newspaper, writing for a blog, researching social media channels, creating a social media account, or writing an article only using social media. The above list are all assignments I've done in the past one and a half years.
Social media is a very effective platform to spread news - I'd suggest many/most younger people first hear of many events via social media

What I hate is a 'journalistic" article on a news website that along with a reporting of events also references the reaction from social media. Then the reaction becomes a story in itself and then the reaction to the reaction until the next big story comes along

Showing my lack of morning TV knowledge but is Sonia Kruger a presenter? I only know of her as Tina Sparkle from Strictly Ballroom.

She hosts the morning show on Ch9 with David Campbell, ie. Barnesy's son who looks nothing like Barnesy.

Showing my lack of morning TV knowledge but is Sonia Kruger a presenter? I only know of her as Tina Sparkle from Strictly Ballroom.
Was an Angela Bishop reporter on Today Tonight for many years. Joys of sharing a house with parents.

No one has censored Sonia.

She is being criticised for having a silly opinion which people are just as entitled to do as she is entitled to voice her opinion.

I'm fine with her opinion being criticised. It is the violent, disgusting and misogynistic attacks from the same group of witless morons who only apply their moral standards to people's opinions that mirror their own.

As soon as an opinion which does not match their rhetoric surfaces then they are more than happy to break their own self righteous moral guidelines and voice, anonymously, the very sort of words and opinions they campaign so emotionally against. Bunch of ****ing self serving, cowardly and seriously mentally deficient assholes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pain of phantom teeth.

Seriously **** this shit, every ****ing mouthful and in pain.

Social media is still pretty new, I think everybody is still working out how to use, and respond to it. It's also unsettled a lot of people in charge of things because it's very difficult to control.
News will eventually all be internet based. Sadly the internet gives voice to huge groups of idiots on things like Twitter but they can be ignored. Older generations like to shit on Twitter, but when used correctly it is an incredibly powerful live newsfeed. The potential there is crazy. Facebook is sort of similar but I think Zuckerberg would have been hoping more for it to have taken off in the way Twitter has with news.

Amazing how you can sit there reading updates about things like the Boston Marathon bombings, with 100s of well-known names passing comments and then hundreds of different sources giving updates, opinions and so on.

The power cannot be ignored. Unfortunately, it's also dangerous too. Plenty of potential for bias that would far exceed anything a newspaper can put out, thanks to codes that can dictate what does and doesn't appear on somebody's screen. Then there's the misinformation that can go out, and obviously the vile trolling that's out there.

Celebrities and politicians of days gone by would have killed to have had social media.

IMG_7437.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back