This Poor, Heroic Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling a similar Greek tragedy will unfold tonight and we'll be in the same boat.. Cats and Saints just seem destined to meet each other in the GF this year
I hope you guys get up today and smash St Kilda in the big one, nothing would delight me more.

That hurts bad, real bad, you do have my commiserations.

One consolation, my family were of the English crop who came over to Australia in the 1950's and as a result it was a no brainer to follow the SANFL club Central Districts (also the Bulldogs and also a traditional working class club). They entered the league in 1964 and experienced no success for 36 years. Year after year we'd make prelims and Grand Finals only to get rolled by the big boys. In 2000 we made the grand final against the eagles and managed to get up by 22 points. I've only been around for 23 years but seeing some of the guys who had been following the club since initiation was one of the greatest feelings that I've ever felt and all the hurt I'd ever experienced being associated with this club was washed away with the sound of one footy siren. To see grown brute men covered in tattoos standing in the aisles sobbing uncontrollably with joy is a memory I'll never forget. On top of that it was like a great stigma had been lifted off the club and since 2000 we havent missed a Grand Final, having played in 7 premierships and we're now referred to as the big boys.

My (long winded) point is, you do this year after year feeling like the biggest masochist on the face of the planet and wondering why you even bother, why you don't just walk away and take up something more sanitary and heartwarming like squash or tiddlywinks, but it gets you. It gets you everytime. It's in your blood and you know you'll never escape the feeling the club brings to you. Once the time comes, that game where you get over the line and make that elusive Grand Final - and win it. All this hurt will be worth it. I'm speaking from experience on this one.

I'm not suggesting you'll be able to repeat the success of an SANFL club, sadly the nature of the beast that is the AFL simply won't allow it, but you'll find that success breeds success. Once you get a taste from that chalice you'll be back for more - and more frequently. The floodgates will open and you'll be the ones who stuck by through the heartbreak, which only makes the success that much sweeter when it does come - and trust me it will.

Best of luck Doggies :thumbsu:

The umpiring was terrible. They replayed Riewoldt's goal and it was obviously touched. What a joke. Dogs were robbed.

The umpires were wearing red, black and white I am sure of it.

My (long winded) point is, you do this year after year feeling like the biggest masochist on the face of the planet and wondering why you even bother, why you don't just walk away and take up something more sanitary and heartwarming like squash or tiddlywinks, but it gets you. It gets you everytime. It's in your blood and you know you'll never escape the feeling the club brings to you.

Really good post Smack :thumbsu:

And you are 100% correct. We all feel as low as low today and football is the last thing we can get excited about(well speaking for myself). But come next season, we will be just as excited about the club, eager to see the new recruits and young players, eager to see big bad bustling if we get him and so on.

Supporting the doggies is a drug. There are your fair share of downers along the way, but the highs are fantastic, and it is a drug of dependence. There is no way that once you have committed to the club, you can just walk away.

I think with something like this, time is a healer. I need two or three more days to feel sorry for myself and then I will be right again.

Mate the lowest point in a clubs history is when they are referred to as less than Freo.

Freo is the benchmark for failure.

The Bulldogs displayed class, spirit and respect in 09, dont disrespect them with you being upset about the Freo comment, bottom line, is that the doggies is a club and Freo is a team. :thumbsu:

As I said classy...

One consolation, my family were of the English crop who came over to Australia in the 1950's and as a result it was a no brainer to follow the SANFL club Central Districts (also the Bulldogs and also a traditional working class club). They entered the league in 1964 and experienced no success for 36 years. Year after year we'd make prelims and Grand Finals only to get rolled by the big boys. In 2000 we made the grand final against the eagles and managed to get up by 22 points. I've only been around for 23 years but seeing some of the guys who had been following the club since initiation was one of the greatest feelings that I've ever felt and all the hurt I'd ever experienced being associated with this club was washed away with the sound of one footy siren. To see grown brute men covered in tattoos standing in the aisles sobbing uncontrollably with joy is a memory I'll never forget. On top of that it was like a great stigma had been lifted off the club and since 2000 we havent missed a Grand Final, having played in 7 premierships and we're now referred to as the big boys.

My (long winded) point is, you do this year after year feeling like the biggest masochist on the face of the planet and wondering why you even bother, why you don't just walk away and take up something more sanitary and heartwarming like squash or tiddlywinks, but it gets you. It gets you everytime. It's in your blood and you know you'll never escape the feeling the club brings to you. Once the time comes, that game where you get over the line and make that elusive Grand Final - and win it. All this hurt will be worth it. I'm speaking from experience on this one.

I'm not suggesting you'll be able to repeat the success of an SANFL club, sadly the nature of the beast that is the AFL simply won't allow it, but you'll find that success breeds success. Once you get a taste from that chalice you'll be back for more - and more frequently. The floodgates will open and you'll be the ones who stuck by through the heartbreak, which only makes the success that much sweeter when it does come - and trust me it will.

Thank you SMACK - that was a great post, and mirrors my sentiments, because I truly beleive that once we win our second premiership the floodgates will open and we will become a hated powerhouse.

You yourself have a lot to look forward to in 2010 - good luck and maybe our two clubs will both make the big dance.:thumbsu:

Great post Smack. I think all of us here at doglands believe we will one day get to the end of the rainbow and witness some meaningful success, but I guess there's always the worry that we won't live to see it. There must've been Central Districts supporters who passed away in 1999, after years of frustration and despair, who didn't get that final salve. I'm only 27 and I'm nervous...

Can't wait for next year though!

yeah when i was on the train home looking round seeing the elderly men and women western bulldogs supporters who were absolutely shattered i felt so much for them. i am still young so please surely i will see the day that we bring the cup back to whitten oval.

also i was just wondering if there is a day sort of like an end of year break up or something... i think we all owe it to the players to say thank you for the year and they all tried their heart's out last night.

I always think it's me - I think I curse this club by supporting them. Have no idea why. Must be karma from a past life or something.

i feel the smae sort of, i all think we have a lil karma that goes along with us. i sat there last night and think to myself its maybe cuz i did this or this. or made that decision. God saw me to this so hes gonna punish me by having the Bulldogs loose. i know this isnt true but its a feeling i always get

Being a dogs fan is my identity, everyone who knows me, knows I support Bulldogs. Even the 31 eight year olds I teach in London know this, despite knowing nothing else about AFL. It's in my blood, in my family's blood and my love of the club will never die, despite my anger and frustration. The one thing that gives me hope is the AFL system which allows smaller clubs to complete evenly (despite a compromised draw and the last nights umpiring) Imagine it was like a European Football competition, the best we'd hope for each year would be survival. I really hope this group can go all the way, especially while johnno is still playing, but if not and we're destined for pain, we'll take it and when we do finally reach the summit, we'll enjoy it even more :) forced smile

(Log in to remove this ad.)

quite possibly the best thing i have read on this site...and from an adelaide supporter (given that most of us hate the very thought of adelaide for obvious reasons). cheers mate...i think this is what the majority of us truly believe and it's what keeps us going. it will happen one day. all the best.

Sucked in to all the Dogs fans who thought they had the flag won after beating the Pies in RD22 ..... I dont care what happens tomorrow night, just happy Scumdogs aren' in the big dance.

Worth the ban.

Too bad this jerk isn't around after that display by Collingwood! :D
Medders_7
Red Card

quite possibly the best thing i have read on this site...and from an adelaide supporter (given that most of us hate the very thought of adelaide for obvious reasons). cheers mate...i think this is what the majority of us truly believe and it's what keeps us going. it will happen one day. all the best.

Yes, nice one Smack!

Thank you SMACK - that was a great post, and mirrors my sentiments, because I truly beleive that once we win our second premiership the floodgates will open and we will become a hated powerhouse.

You yourself have a lot to look forward to in 2010 - good luck and maybe our two clubs will both make the big dance.:thumbsu:
No. Adelaide are nowhere near a Grand Final FFS:thumbsdown:

You guys are really close though and if you recruit Hall I'll be jumping on you for the flag. You must get a key forward for next year or you are doomed for failure.

Questions must be asked of the club why they haven't fixed this problem which was apparent years ago.

Gutted and annoyed with last night although I think we're not far away. Playing great contested Finals Footy and great to see and hear there were tears after last nights effort.

No. Adelaide are nowhere near a Grand Final FFS:thumbsdown:

You guys are really close though and if you recruit Hall I'll be jumping on you for the flag. You must get a key forward for next year or you are doomed for failure.

Questions must be asked of the club why they haven't fixed this problem which was apparent years ago.

As long as the esteemed Mike Sheehan doesn't pick us!:rolleyes:

24 hours later, the pain appears to have sunk in for me. Big time.

After any sort of heartbreaking loss for the dogs, the world doesn't seem the same to me.

Today the sky was gloomy, grey and rainy, as it was forecast all week.

I had to go to Highpoint today to buy a few things. Whilst wondering around the floors I wondered "Why does everything seem so different, so sad?"

I realised that it was not only me, but everyone. I was in Bulldogs heartland, and the majority of people around me seemed to be hurting as much as me.

I am not who believes in miracles, acts of god or whatever the hell you want to call it, but I have no doubt that if our beloved club had of got up last night as they so deserved to, the weather would have said '**** you!' to whatever had been forecast, the sun would have shined down on Footscray and the western suburbs and all who have followed this great club throughout all of these years, and every last one of us would be smiling, full of life, and dreaming of what might be on right about 5.15 pm next Saturday.

And Highpoint or wherever else in the western suburbs and other Bulldog Heartland would have been filled with smiling, happy people who you could not wipe the smile off no matter what.

You could have punched me, or any one of them in the face as hard and as mighty as you could, and I or anyone else would have smiled and beamed right back at them and said, "What was that? The dogs are in the ****ing Grand Final?!?!?! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! How about a drink?!?!?!"

And when I got home, and I saw the rain start to piss down, and tears finally hit my face. Another 12 months, if that. It was just so cruel.

I almost feel like ****ing crying typing this. Someone once told me - I love this club too damn much. They said to me is it really worth it for you, Leon, to go through all of this, for you to feel such stress and heartbreak? I defiantly, stubbornly and possibly somewhat irrationally say - no. They may be right, but do I give a ****? No.

What other club can make you feel this way, can make you feel this gut wrenched, so heartbroken, so goddamn hurt?

You may see that as something bad, but I see it as something I am proud of, both for myself and the club that has given me so much throughout these years, even without a flag, they are my love, my most important thing, something that I know will always be there, making me proud.

Finally I have felt tears. They feel shit and they hurt, but they fell great at the same time.

Go the ****ing doggies. You will make it, you will win it, I ****ing know you will.

I don't care what anyone says. I will believe to the day I ****ing die.

I love them too damn much.

****ing go dogs.

You have always been a source of pride and love in my life, but last night, you made me so damn proud to be a supporter of the mighty red, white and blue.

:)

24 hours later, the pain appears to have sunk in for me. Big time.

After any sort of heartbreaking loss for the dogs, the world doesn't seem the same to me.

Today the sky was gloomy, grey and rainy, as it was forecast all week.

I had to go to Highpoint today to buy a few things. Whilst wondering around the floors I wondered "Why does everything seem so different, so sad?"

I realised that it was not only me, but everyone. I was in Bulldogs heartland, and the majority of people around me seemed to be hurting as much as me.

I am not who believes in miracles, acts of god or whatever the hell you want to call it, but I have no doubt that if our beloved club had of got up last night as they so deserved to, the weather would have said '**** you!' to whatever had been forecast, the sun would have shined down on Footscray and the western suburbs and all who have followed this great club throughout all of these years, and every last one of us would be smiling, full of life, and dreaming of what might be on right about 5.15 pm next Saturday.

And Highpoint or wherever else in the western suburbs and other Bulldog Heartland would have been filled with smiling, happy people who you could not wipe the smile off no matter what.

You could have punched me, or any one of them in the face as hard and as mighty as you could, and I or anyone else would have smiled and beamed right back at them and said, "What was that? The dogs are in the ****ing Grand Final?!?!?! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! How about a drink?!?!?!"

And when I got home, and I saw the rain start to piss down, and tears finally hit my face. Another 12 months, if that. It was just so cruel.

I almost feel like ****ing crying typing this. Someone once told me - I love this club too damn much. They said to me is it really worth it for you, Leon, to go through all of this, for you to feel such stress and heartbreak? I defiantly, stubbornly and possibly somewhat irrationally say - no. They may be right, but do I give a ****? No.

What other club can make you feel this way, can make you feel this gut wrenched, so heartbroken, so goddamn hurt?

You may see that as something bad, but I see it as something I am proud of, both for myself and the club that has given me so much throughout these years, even without a flag, they are my love, my most important thing, something that I know will always be there, making me proud.

Finally I have felt tears. They feel shit and they hurt, but they fell great at the same time.

Go the ****ing doggies. You will make it, you will win it, I ****ing know you will.

I don't care what anyone says. I will believe to the day I ****ing die.

I love them too damn much.

****ing go dogs.

You have always been a source of pride and love in my life, but last night, you made me so damn proud to be a supporter of the mighty red, white and blue.

:)

With you in solidarity Leon, only another bulldog would understand your pain.:)

Great post Leon. Sums up it all up. It all hit me today - the pain, anger and despair, but also the pride in how our boys gave their all last night. I love this club more than most people I know can comprehend. I know that one day we will all be rewarded with what we deserve.

I think someone must have a curse over this magnificent football club. The team I love and will continue to do so until I die. NO OTHER CLUB MATTERS!

Every time we close to winning a premiership, there is always someone or something that stops us from winning the cup on GF day. This has happened time and time again. We must find a way to break this curse. This is infuriating.

Hopefully, our planning for next season started the minute after our dreadful preliminary final loss. We have to do something and quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

This Poor, Heroic Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back