Thomas to the Blues for 4yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about that....thats too simplistic. Too StKilda. There are a lot of variables. You dont just knife the coach because no flag has come along. if you believe in what youre doing you stick to the plan. Otherwise we'd have sacked Malthouse in 2006.

I am sure about that. If Buckley took over a list that had finished 1st then 2nd and was still regarded as among the best few in the comp and then took it over the next 4-5 seasons to a non contender it would be hard to keep him on. I agree it can be simplistic not to look at the situation but looking at the list at Collingwood it is much better than continuing to fall away from here. I think Bucks is doing a good job and I think events have worked against him last 2 saesons with injuries etc. Howefer he has a good list at his hand and the club also believes that. He has to contend or he is gone.

P.S my contention is he needs to contend , he is not gone if he doesn't win a flag but he is if he doesn't contend.

Gavin Brown quits Carlton. Its an exodus!!!

Must say that pleases me no end. There was no more Collingwood player ever than Brown. Loved what he did as a Pie. Never looked right him being at Carlton.

I don't know if this is Collingwood supporters having no knowledge of their own team, or if it's a case of pure denial, but this is posted far too often by Magpies fans trying to dismiss the Thomas departure as an irrelevancy.

Collingwood supporters need to understand that this is an absolute fallacy, and will remain as such regardless of how many times it is misguidedly posted.

Dale Thomas played 20 games in 2012.

The correct statement is that you basically didn't have Dale Thomas in 2013.

Technically you are correct. I think the real point is Daisy played 2012 at a much lower level than what Collingwood hoped fopr and compared to what Carlton are hoping for. He had an interupted pre season and carried injuries. Later in the season he did his ankle for the first time and has played little since.

Maybe better to sat 2012 and especially 2013 were write offs

Of course Collingwood will enter 2014 as a potential top 4 challenger.

Two solid defensive KPPs - N.Brown and Keeffe
Two great forward KPPs - Cloke and Reid

A group of elite midfielders - Pendles, Swan, Beams and Ball

If trade period goes to plan we may add Adams and White to the list.

The biggest boost to 2014 will hopefully be getting full seasons from Beams and L.Ball, throw in Adams and we strengthening our midfield enormously compared to 2013.

Ultimately any premiership tilt comes down to player health, last time the Pies had a good run with injuries was 2011

3-4 years is a lifetime in a footy list. If Bucks is thinking that timeframe then he is thinking total rebuild of the list. You can write off most of the current list by then. Pendles, Reid, Brown, Cloke would all be in their twilight years. Swan gone. Means we would be without most of the A graders on our list by then. Diabolical plan.

Twilight? Where do you live? Greenland?

In 3 years Pendlebury will be 28. Ben Reid will be 27. Brown effectively 27 (born 17 December). Cloke will be the oldest of that group at 29, which makes him younger than Judd was this year and less injury prone.

Swanny is the only one that's a fair chance to be retired in 3 years.

Just for an idea of what this "twilight" means, here are the last 4 Brownlow medal winners and their ages in that year:

GAJ: 29
Jobe: 27
Swan: 27
Judd: 27

Fascinating how Kreuzer and Gibbs are going to come good soon as they are still "young", whereas Ben Reid is 3 years off a zimmer frame, strawberry jelly for lunch and a pinch of the nurse's arse if he's lucky. And yet all of three months separate them.

Of course Collingwood will enter 2014 as a potential top 4 challenger.

Two solid defensive KPPs - N.Brown and Keeffe
Two great forward KPPs - Cloke and Reid

A group of elite midfielders - Pendles, Swan, Beams and Ball

If trade period goes to plan we may add Adams and White to the list.

The biggest boost to 2014 will hopefully be getting full seasons from Beams and L.Ball, throw in Adams and we strengthening our midfield enormously compared to 2013.

Ultimately any premiership tilt comes down to player health, last time the Pies had a good run with injuries was 2011

Not sure how we will go in 2014 myself - will wait and see how the next couple of months go.

But I just wanted to say don't forget the impact of Fasolo, but to a greater extent Toovey. If they return to form and fitness they both substantially influence their ends of the ground.

Tooves is basically our best one-on-one defender. :thumbsu:

Players are human beings who will feel jealousy just like a normal person would in that situation and they'll be demanding more money in their next contract too.

But in theory, Carlton have had a good trade period, I hate to say. They had superfluous rucks and small forwards. Lost Hampson (ruck) and Betts (small forward) and received a gun midfielder plus pick 28, which could be traded for a reasonable midfielder.

The only risk is losing players in 2/3 years time because of the price they're paying Thomas and how it makes everyone else feel... It's a risky culture to ignite. Even at his best, he doesn't deserve that much.

Players are human beings who will feel jealousy just like a normal person would in that situation and they'll be demanding more money in their next contract too.

But in theory, Carlton have had a good trade period, I hate to say. They had superfluous rucks and small forwards. Lost Hampson (ruck) and Betts (small forward) and received a gun midfielder plus pick 28, which could be traded for a reasonable midfielder.

The only risk is losing players in 2/3 years time because of the price they're paying Thomas and how it makes everyone else feel... It's a risky culture to ignite. Even at his best, he doesn't deserve that much.

With Waite, Judd, Carrazzo, Scotland etc all on their way to retirement there will be plenty of cap space freed up in the next 2-3 years.

Yes they have certainly cashed in on their surplus of rucks and small forwards so their list will be fractionally better balanced next year. However they havent covered their key weakness which is key position players, especially forward. Getting a midfielder should have been a secondary consideration.

Wait until the trade period is over before you start bagging us for not getting a KPP. There is still 2 weeks to go. And out of all of the clubs, we have been close to the most active.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Waite, Judd, Carrazzo, Scotland etc all on their way to retirement there will be plenty of cap space freed up in the next 2-3 years.

Not to mention we have plenty of cap space now. Swann said we could afford 2 big signings this off-season.

We have a few out of contract at the end of next year though so we will see how that all plays out. Something tells me we're overpaying Gibbs and Yarran who will be out of contract.

Not to mention we have plenty of cap space now. Swann said we could afford 2 big signings this off-season.

We have a few out of contract at the end of next year though so we will see how that all plays out. Something tells me we're overpaying Gibbs and Yarran who will be out of contract.

We are overpaying Gibbs (I know this for a fact) - but we were kind of forced to as GWS were offering him buckets in 2012 when we re-signed him. Should make it harder for him to leave as a RFA as other teams probably wont expect him to be on as much as he is - plus we always have the option to match any offers.

Any chance the last three pages could be shifted to the Collingwood board?
LoL, a few Pies posters comment how we won't really be that worse off with no Thomas in 2014 and Carlton fans want us to pipe down and let them keep dribbling out the sky is falling at Westpac routine.

Daisy 2010-11 vintage was great, 12-13 vintage he was no different to Wellingham...nothing special apart from the odd glimpse of brilliance.

LoL, a few Pies posters comment how we won't really be that worse off with no Thomas in 2014 and Carlton fans want us to pipe down and let them keep dribbling out the sky is falling at Westpac routine.

Daisy 2010-11 vintage was great, 12-13 vintage he was no different to Wellingham...nothing special apart from the odd glimpse of brilliance.

Way to emphasize a point...

Fair enough but I havent seen Carltons name linked with any kpps. Do you have some suggestions who they may be targetting?

There are a number of KPF prospects being targeted just not being publicised - landing them is a totally different story. No one ever thought Buddy would go to Swans. Doesn't have to be written in the Herald Sun for it to be happening.

There are a number of KPF prospects being targeted just not being publicised - landing them is a totally different story. No one ever thought Buddy would go to Swans. Doesn't have to be written in the Herald Sun for it to be happening.

Ahh....so its a secret then!!!

Good luck landing that big fish. Mckernan is not that bad. Will come good soon.

Ahh....so its a secret then!!!

Good luck landing that big fish. Mckernan is not that bad. Will come good soon.

No one said it was a big fish. And just because something is plastered on the front page of the Herald Sun doesn't mean it's a secret. And Mckernan is not one of the forwards I was referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back