Thommo for Captain - VB give it away mate

Remove this Banner Ad

The role of captain is much more than simply taking charge on the footy field.

Thompson and Rutten have been without question our two strongest on-field leaders this season. That said, NVB has not been without his moments in this regard as well. A captain's goal here, a crunching tackle there, to my eyes he's found ways to impose himself on the contest more than in previous seasons.

Thompson is a natural on-field leader, and from what we hear, a fast-developing off-field leader. He would make a fine captain. Van Berlo also makes a find captain. At the moment, we have a situation where Van Berlo is able to perform his duties as captain both on and off the field, and we have Thompson leading by example on the field. Seems like a winner to me.

Clearly an on-field leader.

While VB wasn't my first choice at Captain, I think we need to give him time to grow into the role.

A lot of players have taken their game to the next level with the responsibility.

Agreed. Thommo was always my first choice, and he is doing nothing that changes my view that he should be our leader. Over the second half of 2010 and the first few games this year, Thommo has dragged us back or kept us in games on a number of occasions.

However, having made the decision to give it to VB, we now need to give him time to grow into the role.

New leaders are (slowly) starting to emerge.

Thompson has been great, Truck is having a career best year and Dangerfield is having more influence on the contest than he has previously. Thumbs up to these three :thumbsu:

I thought VB would take his game to another level - like he did in Q4 of the Brisbane game last year - but it hasn't happened yet. At this stage his output is similar to last season.

Vince has been below par, as has Douglas and Knights. Johncock was below par for the first three games - back to normal Saturday night. These four are the ones who need to take on a greater role and responsibility with the retirement of the big four. Very disappointing thus far.

Doughty, Stevens, Symes and Reilly continue to have no negative or positive impact on the team.

I thought VB would take his game to another level - like he did in Q4 of the Brisbane game last year - but it hasn't happened yet. At this stage his output is similar to last season.

In terms of providing on field leadership, i think he has provided moments.

His goals (both of them) in the Hawks game were key to our win, and his big mark running back against Freo stand out.

Even last night, people are deliberately ignoring the role van Berlo played in bringing us back into the contest. Had a big second quarter, and was our highest ball gatherer to half time.

Even last night, people are deliberately ignoring the role van Berlo played in bringing us back into the contest. Had a big second quarter, and was our highest ball gatherer to half time.

I like nathan as a player and a person. However I tend to look at how guys go when we are struggling rather than when we are going better.

Rutten clearly the stand out for mine. VB has just not done enough in hte bad patches this year.

End of the day though, doesn't really matter who your captain is.

All 22 need to contribute.

Doughty, Stevens, Symes and Reilly continue to have no negative or positive impact on the team.

Really Carl you need to lose your obsession.

Doughty has a huge impact, his third up spoling is terrific and he is a leader by example.

Reilly has been ok and we are missing Stevens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Bickley in our top 10.

VB will grow into role, hes been earmarked by the people in know at the club for some time, so I reckon they may have an idea on what he offers on and off field.

Already kicked some captains goals.

Dont want to harp on this (because I rate Thompson) but he has on occasions been undisiplined on field, particulary when frustrated or overawed by occassion (showdowns usually), and has struggled when the pressure is on. Who can forget the wayward kick in the final agaist Hawthorn.

VB's the man for the momment, Danger the heir apparent.

VB will grow into role, hes been earmarked by the people in know at the club for some time, so I reckon they may have an idea on what he offers on and off field.

Dont want to harp on this (because I rate Thompson) but he has on occasions been undisiplined on field, particulary when frustrated or overawed by occassion (showdowns usually), and has struggled when the pressure is on. Who can forget the wayward kick in the final agaist Hawthorn.

Bloody Oath he was!!!!!!!

Has not Craig groomed VB to be captain
VB will probably be captain for .. as far as the eye can see

VB was at the Club for a few months when Roo was proclaiming how good a leader he was and how he was Captaincy material; that's good enough for me.

Who can forget the wayward kick in the final agaist Hawthorn.

We all should.

One bad kick a couple of years ago shouldn't (and hasn't) decide who is Captain.

:eek:

Yes. Perhaps not the most skilful player on the list, but always committed, honest and hard-at it. Bit like Thompson perhaps

Really Carl you need to lose your obsession.

Doughty has a huge impact, his third up spoling is terrific and he is a leader by example.

Reilly has been ok and we are missing Stevens.
Doughty's third up spoiling is fantastic and he often displays great courage in doing so. In fact if the game was called Spoilball he would be a star.

We can't use him on the most dangerous forwards. He won't take Milne on Saturday night. He'll get McQualter or Jack Steven. Some nobody that should be who Brodie Smith matches up on, but won't be.

He no longer tags players through the midfield either. He either takes whichever mid is having a breather or no one. We tried him on Rioli... briefly. It was a distaster.

When we switch from our take-the-game-on, fast paced, match-winning mode to our defensive, safe, sideways and backwards mode Doughty is often the instigator. He is the first one to go into his shell.

We miss Stevens with Davis out. Stevens doesn't take one of the better talls, his best football is played as the loose man in defence. The responsibility is given to younger team mates.

The downside is that giving Stevens his preferred loose man role leaves us outnumbered down the other end. We always bemoan why are we kicking to Tippett in a 1 on 2... the reason is that Craig is giving Stevens an armchair ride in the back half.

We have developed two cushy roles for Stevens and Doughty so that they can survive at AFL level. The real defensive responsibilities are given to other players. Younger players. This is the opposite of leadership.

When i think leadership I think about the ability to inspire others to perform better than their average. Better than their perceived best.

To quote the great Colin Powell, "Leadership is the art of acheiving what the science of management says is impossible."

I'm slowly filing VB into the non-inspiring bucket with Craigy. (for me) i.e. not the type of leader I prefer.

VB inspired me more as a rookie player throwing himself on loose balls. He just doesn't seem to even have that impact anymore for me. Maybe I'm too used to him but he just doesn't inspire me often enough.

Bicks was twice the player VB is btw... and always found a way to inspire. Maybe the game was so different back then and there were more chances to inspire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thommo for Captain - VB give it away mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back