Thoughts On The Brisbane Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon i know pretty much in the first 5-10 mins if we will win.... had that feeling we were gonna just be a tad out-of-whack tonight....and we WERE !!

Did well to get back to where we were late in the 3rd but i made the comment with 5 mins left that they'd peg us back by 3 qtr time and that the 1st goal of the 4th was the " KEY MOMENT "....and i was right.

SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL

Chapter 17 - LANDING THAT KILLER BLOW

Lacked intensity, no running the lines, no pressure on the ball carrier and too much chip, chip, chip.
Like last week, when the game was there to be won we want to go backwards. It wont win you games.

Reilly's not fit or needs time in the local league, Andrew has lost confidence in his ability. Andrew of old would have stopped, baulked and run off his tagger instead of trying to kick around him and just kicked into him which lead to another turn over. He also doesn't want to kick for goal. Our captain is feeling the heat with the job and not leading by example. The other one whom has gone missing is vB.just not the same as old.

Yes have to agree with these comments;
Reilly, Goodwin, Mcleod, Douglas and Basset all have lost their mojo
Bock Burton and Gill caught the disease tonight. Tippett stood up as did Doughty, Vince and Maric, the rest of the lads hit the shower and come back after the break fresher. And neil where's the flair?

Without sounding like a troll and after watching you guys play the hawks last week, i can't help feel like your game plan isn't going to take you to a premiership. You have a bloody good team with a lot of class footballers and the reality is if Burton beat Patfull tonight than the crows would have won. It must be frustrating to watch you team just throw the ball laterally around the park. Good luck for the rest of the year. You sure have some future stars in Porplyzia and Vince.

Great points. Spot on.

If the second sentence is true (which i believe it is), we have to fix the first point AND get some bloody intensity back

Reckon i know pretty much in the first 5-10 mins if we will win.... had that feeling we were gonna just be a tad out-of-whack tonight....and we WERE !!

Did well to get back to where we were late in the 3rd but i made the comment with 5 mins left that they'd peg us back by 3 qtr time and that the 1st goal of the 4th was the " KEY MOMENT "....and i was right.

SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL

Chapter 17 - LANDING THAT KILLER BLOW

Knights turnover in the 3rd was the key moment for mine.

Without sounding like a troll and after watching you guys play the hawks last week, i can't help feel like your game plan isn't going to take you to a premiership. You have a bloody good team with a lot of class footballers and the reality is if Burton beat Patfull tonight than the crows would have won. It must be frustrating to watch you team just throw the ball laterally around the park. Good luck for the rest of the year. You sure have some future stars in Porplyzia and Vince.

What I want to see from this team is more run through the middle of the ground. More running shots at goal. No more kicking backwards in situations where we don't need to do this. Try and play a Collingwood like game, fast exciting football. At 8-5, this team can still easily win 15 games (thats 7-2), they are good enough to do that but have to change their gameplan and play with more hunger. Does everyone agree with me? - Next two games are tough, but then we have a good run up to round 22.

What I want to see from this team is more run through the middle of the ground. More running shots at goal. No more kicking backwards in situations where we don't need to do this. Try and play a Collingwood like game, fast exciting football. At 8-5, this team can still easily win 15 games (thats 7-2), they are good enough to do that but have to change their gameplan and play with more hunger. Does everyone agree with me? - Next two games are tough, but then we have a good run up to round 22.

Especially now you have a core group of class mids and then a solid group of up an coming players. The slow build up makes the job so much harder for Tippett. He is going to be a bloody good footballer by the way. Love the look of Vince, i do echo the thoughts about lacking real run out of the backline, i would love to see Johncock really get a license to take them on. McGrath did that for us tonight.

We will see a definite improvement with the inclusion of Gill as the weeks go by imo; tonight we saw glimpses but our disposal was so shocking it was never going to show through completely.

We will also benefit in the near future as a couple of these young line breakers start to develop and push for selection. I speak of Danger Zone, Petrenko (who I'm quite adamant will make an exceptional AFL footballer) and so on, we can start to look at adding that explosive element we lack. This will hopefully give the side a risk-taking edge.

Aside from that, as bigman said in his thread the input from our senior seniors is dwindling and it's showing on the score sheet, yet we're not getting belted. That's a very good sign. I'm confident about where this club is headed. :thumbsu:

It will be interesting to see the SANFL this w/e i dare say there may be a murder of crows out there playing for their position (given the week off), I have an idea for NC... If Burton is completely fit then play him on the wing this is where he will have more affect his goal kicking is concerning at best yet if he could be a link up player he would get a player on him without the o/h capabilities. Thats just my thoughts.

SO will see Jericho, VB???, Douglas, Stevens?? and the others that played this week in the SANFL next week, I would start a thread on this but i don't got "the rights" :p

I think expecting consistent game breaking games from your 30 year old veterans, is not only unlikely but fanciful. We need to face up to this fact.

If you look at the top tems in the competition their major contributers and match winners are their 22-28 year olds, our players in that age bracket are simply not good enough to make us a contender. Our best players in that age bracket are mostly defenders, and unfortuntely they cannot break a game open when the game is on the line. I only expect our veterens to provide a cool head and some cameo performances, they will very rarely win us the game at their age. Our over 30 group of players are probably the best in the league, but they will not win you a premiership and expecting them too is unfair.

Johncock has been fantastic in the back pocket, but i think the time for him to play in the midfield has come. I don't buy into this "hes not fit enough" business as he looks as fit as anyone out there, and thats what rotations are for. He is exactly the person we need in there, really good in tight situations, wins his own ball and has explosive pace. If we are serious about winning a premiership IMHO thats the move we need to make. We may leak more goals without him in defence but lets roll the dice FFS.

I said all week long that we were going to wear red uniforms and nobody believed me. The problem is because of the dark blue on the top of Brisbane's uniforms, while our red is much brighter than their maroon. We also ended up losing again too. The record plummets to 3-8 in the red jumper (btw - we won the first game in red).

I hate to say this, but it Looks like we'll be stuck with red for the rest of the season. We should wear the other away uniform vs Collingwood but I have a bad feeling that it will be the red away jumper in all other away games except the showdown.

But next season, we should introduce an away jumper based on our home jumper which simply swaps the red and navy blue around and dump the current away jumper. Or reintroduce the previous away jumper from 1999-2005 without the shield on the back and a more red look.

THE 5 WORST CLASH JUMPERS

1 St Kilda
2 Brisbane
3 Adelaide
4 Hawthron
5 Melbourne

I think expecting consistent game breaking games from your 30 year old veterans, is not only unlikely but fanciful. We need to face up to this fact.

If you look at the top tems in the competition their major contributers and match winners are their 22-28 year olds, our players in that age bracket are simply not good enough to make us a contender. Our best players in that age bracket are mostly defenders, and unfortuntely they cannot break a game open when the game is on the line. I only expect our veterens to provide a cool head and some cameo performances, they will very rarely win us the game at their age. Our over 30 group of players are probably the best in the league, but they will not win you a premiership and expecting them too is unfair.

Johncock has been fantastic in the back pocket, but i think the time for him to play in the midfield has come. I don't buy into this "hes not fit enough" business as he looks as fit as anyone out there, and thats what rotations are for. He is exactly the person we need in there, really good in tight situations, wins his own ball and has explosive pace. If we are serious about winning a premiership IMHO thats the move we need to make. We may leak more goals without him in defence but lets roll the dice FFS.

Sad but true Bunji. There reputations are suffering a collective loss this year. But what i cannot stomach is a lack of intensity at the contest and absolutely zero accountability to defend. That is primarily the difference between us and the top sides at the moment...22 committed team players.

I agree re your point re Johncock. Some time in the middle. It is time to take a punt on pure ability and risk a junior based on a hunch. Big call but i would be upgrading Patrenko for the back pocket, and Stiffy further afield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest problem tonight was losing the clearances so badly in the 2nd half. Got absolutely smashed and could not win from there. Hopefully Griffin will be fit for the next game because with the inexperienced rucks we have to have the 3 options in Griffin, Maric and Tippett.
Game changed when Maric went down. He was not as proficient when he came back on.

That cost us the game. If he did not slip up in that middle wicket area we would of won and won well.

Lost by 13 points getting smashed in one area, ie basicallt not having a Ruck. Tippett is looking a bit tired. He needs the upcoming week off.

That and the 3 minutes of footy resulting in three goals, when the boys went to sleep.

It will be interesting to see the SANFL this w/e i dare say there may be a murder of crows out there playing for their position (given the week off), I have an idea for NC... If Burton is completely fit then play him on the wing this is where he will have more affect his goal kicking is concerning at best yet if he could be a link up player he would get a player on him without the o/h capabilities. Thats just my thoughts.

SO will see Jericho, VB???, Douglas, Stevens?? and the others that played this week in the SANFL next week, I would start a thread on this but i don't got "the rights" :p
You won't see ANY of Jericho, VB, Douglas or Stevens running around in the SANFL next week.

The break is officially sanctioned by the AFL and AFLPA with the express purpose of giving players a rest. It's only under exceptional circumstances (eg a player returning from a long term injury and needing a run) that clubs would be given authorisation to play them in the SANFL. Given that all of these players have been playing AFL football all season (at least the last 3 weeks in a row for Jericho), there is no chance of this happening.

Yeah, we had a lot of costly turnovers and yeah, our game plan was responsible for a non-functioning forward line--ball coming in too slow--but Brisbane simply outplayed us last night. Their defensive pressure in our back line was outstanding, especially in the 1st half. This killed our run out of the backline, something we rely on for fast forward entries to set up our leading forwards.
We were a bit slow and sluggish on the night and a few players were down, but the loss was because the Lions were the better side on the night.

Some good points made thus far and despite a 2nd consecutive loss the realization of where we are as a "developing team" appears to be well recognised by supporters.

We drafted last season speedy players ......last night we saw why our recruiters needed to add speed.

We had no-one to run across lines and take Brisbane defenders on .....Macleod used to be that man and whilst not at his mercurial best AP, we must remember his knee is giving problems and his servicable performance last night was still OK.

So today I'll concetrate on our midfield group:

Knights:
Had a shocker with disposal last night .....but his game is actually improving.
He's not getting as many disposals but is working harder defensively and is trying to add some run and carry to his game.

I like the developments in his game ......

Vince:
Is just getting better and better .......where he was getting caught regularly in recent seasons ....he now seems to have plenty of time to do what he wants.

Doesn't appear overly quick across the ground ....but as I said he doesn't get caught. Disposal is immaculate and he is one of this seasons success stories.

Douglas:
Along with Vince a season success story ......last night what he did was great but he then disappeared for long periods.

With youth comes inconsistency and that's what were getting now with all players carrying some niggles

Doughty:
Career best form which demonstrates if you want it bad enough ....
Would have to be in top half a dozen for B&F.
His disposal is putting others to shame

Porplyzia:
I know he's dynamite as a forwrd but last night our greatest need was his direct style of footy in the midfield.

He can be more influential for longer as a midfielder .....however we need to surround him with some real pace ...run and carry players. He'll be dynamite under those conditions.

Shirley:
I'll tip my hat to the guy ......he's playing great footy AP
Think he realises that that with 2 more sides coming in that this draft is critical to us thus leading to his retirement.

But he looks like going out with a bang rather than a whimper

Jericho:
Playing better, much better footy .......but not for long enough periods of the game and at 23 is not something that can be attributed to youth

Will still struggle although as I have said may get himself a trade to another club.

Edwards, Goodwin, Macleod:
If they were 1-3 year players we'd be ecstaic about their games ....but whilst starting the season injury free and starring .......little niggles on 32 year olds are far more impactful on performances.

Still believe we'll go with Goodwin & Macleod again next season .....Edwards very doubtful IMO

Bassett:
GONE ....on so many levels it's just too obvious to all

Maric:
Absolutely loved his game .......he looks to have added more strength since the beginning of the season.

He looks mobile and is taking the game on when he has the possession .....good kick but importantly his marking, which was keeping him out of the side, has improved dramatically.

Decisively won the rucks and we lost momentum when he left the ground and thereafter.

Tippett:
Really appreciated the freedom of rucking .....again excellent signs in aggression, and vision when in possession.

He's developing well.

Burton:
Look we're too one dimensional in attack ......We go to Burton or long to Tippett/Maric ......how predicable.

Jericho is not troubling the opposition match committee too much ....

But we lack another tall .....a CHF, and Burton suffered from those lack of options last night.
Macgregor NO ......Gill was mildly effective but he'll have to do a lot more to save his spot on the list.

Sellar is the logical FF with Tippett moving out to CHF and giving him the freedom he obviously appreciates .....but thats a next season discussion.

Bock:
Matchup of Rutten on Brown was obvious but Iam not sure of the merits of having Bock take out of play to FB .......seems we lose the run off HB which was missing last night with Macleod also down.

Summary:
I love Brisbanes gamestyle .......tackle hard when not in possession and go direct forcing the ball forwrd at all costs when in possession.

We were too measured, too calculating, over thought situations, and went way way way too wide ALL NIGHT.
You get caught in a mindset doing that that is very hard to break out of ... and after all that our disposal and turnovers were still crapier than Brisbane who just attacked.

WE need to attack more, going more direct and get some speed into the midfield.

Game changed when Maric went down. He was not as proficient when he came back on.

That cost us the game. If he did not slip up in that middle wicket area we would of won and won well.

Lost by 13 points getting smashed in one area, ie basicallt not having a Ruck. Tippett is looking a bit tired. He needs the upcoming week off.

That and the 3 minutes of footy resulting in three goals, when the boys went to sleep.

Critical turning point of the game .....the lack of a second ruckman hurt.

Stevens was very effective as a defender and we had to take him out to ruck.

We need another tall .....Griffin preferably

Slow Crows need to act fast: Craig
RSSFont downFont largerPrintBy Michael Whiting
12:07 AM Sun 22 June, 2008

While Craig said he admired the Lions' second half grunt, he added that chances went wanting because the Crows didn't play-on quick enough.

Adelaide had 67 more possessions than the Lions, but generated eight less scoring shots in the 11.17 (83) to 10.10 (70) loss.

And Craig included himself in the solutions.

"We're a slow footy club at the moment, moving the ball," he said.

"I think we need to look at the training we do. Our quicker movement of the ball, getting off the mark, and want to play-on a bit more, rather than just go back and chip.

"That's my responsibility to address that. I think it's the way we've trained and we need to change some of our training.

"Sometimes the opposition are too good and stand the mark, I understand that. But there were too many times tonight where we could have got around and played on and not been too perfect going into the forward line, but just dropped it in there and put some pressure back on the Brisbane Lions.

"But we wouldn't do it."

The Crows struggled to take marks inside their forward 50m all night as the Lions got numbers back in defence.

Craig said while his team was far from disgraced, they were taught a lesson around the stoppages in the second half.

They led by 15 points during the third quarter, but the home team exploded at the start of the last with goals to Jared Brennan and Robert Copeland created at clearances.

"First half we were okay, had a lot of the play, poor going forward. Second half we just got pushed around," Craig said.
"I thought their (Lions) pressure in the second half was as good as we've faced this year, just their hardness at the ball, which is a bit of a signature play for Brisbane.

"I thought we matched them well in the first half, but a group of players in our club would have found out there's probably another little jump that we need to get to for the whole game."
Craig said the Crows would have to address its speed of play and hardness at the ball over the coming fortnight before preparing for their round 14 clash with Geelong.

He described Luke Power's performance as "exceptional" after the Lions midfielder racked up 40 possessions

At least Craigs does not bury his head in the sand with unrealsitic analysis.

He has no illusions of where we're at or what has to be done ....that's why he's so good :thumbsu:

I am just thankful that it looks as though he is ok.

That had a possible reco look about it with the hyper extension. The fact that he jogged off the ground is not an indication that there is not something serious. Reminded me somewhat of when Shaun Rehn slipped on the disc at Footy Park.

You won't see ANY of Jericho, VB, Douglas or Stevens running around in the SANFL next week.

The break is officially sanctioned by the AFL and AFLPA with the express purpose of giving players a rest. It's only under exceptional circumstances (eg a player returning from a long term injury and needing a run) that clubs would be given authorisation to play them in the SANFL. Given that all of these players have been playing AFL football all season (at least the last 3 weeks in a row for Jericho), there is no chance of this happening.

OK then thanks for clearing that up I had no idea!

DOes this work in the advantage of players like Symes and Massie, Trent?

Surely it wouldn't applt ot them?

Interesting that the Hawks lost as well. Methinks the hard game the previous week had much to do with our falling away in the second half. It was well documented that a few guys couldn't train until late in the week. Geoffa32 was right also....Maric going down didn't do us any favours.....

OK then thanks for clearing that up I had no idea!

DOes this work in the advantage of players like Symes and Massie, Trent?

Surely it wouldn't applt ot them?

Players playing in the SANFL will continue to do so. With a 9-team competition they get byes on a fairly regular basis anyway.

Thought we played horribly and only lost by 13 points

I don't have a huge issue with intensity but I do have one with our decision making and disposal which has been horrendous for the last month.

We have not played four quarters of skilled football since round 2.

Lots of skill training needed before we face Geelong who will thrash us if we continue in our current form

The big three were passengers last night in my view. Very suprised to see both Edwards and McLeod named in the best players.

Doughty was absolutely brilliant last night. He was everywhere. Rutts did a great job also and Vince is becoming a vital cog in the wheel.

I thought Basset played an ok game to be honest.

VB and Reilly were very disappointing and Burton's susspesnion has cost us two games as he always takes a week or two to get back into form. If he had played against Hawthorn and played well last night we might have won both games.

I think we are finding our true level now though and its certainly not up with the top teams.

Rest of the year will be very interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts On The Brisbane Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back