Thoughts On The Brisbane Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Also interesting to note that the Hawks lost yesterday as well. That game may have taken a big toll on both teams.

At a mate's place watching the game Sat nite, he mentioned that factor at 3/4

time. Said he noticed crows looking flatter than we usually do in third Quarter.

I had forgotten just how tough a struggle it was for both hawks and crows.

Didn't see Hawks game, but hawk supporter at work blamed crows for hawks loss....too bad they didn't lose to us!!

IMO the gameplan in recent weeks has reverted back to last years style ....ultra concervative.

It was a gameplan that I saw us play in the PS and earlty season .....but even 18 points down with a few minutes to go and .....and yep still kicking backwards.

Doughty a mighty game and he's definately got a contract for next season ....but he is also the biggest culprit in kicking backwards.

Kicking backwards has its strategic value for switching play and buying time .....however it's also a LAZY gameplan for those players not prepared or able to run the lines and take the game on.
Really good comments :thumbsu:

NC admitted as much in his comments after the game that we had regressed to last season's defensive game style.

Will be a real test of Craig's resolve to see if we can through caution to the wind against the one team in the comp. that you don't want to have a shootout against.

The midfield zone (ie; flood) is now a major part of Footy - Brisbane crowded up the centre, and we weren't willing to run and carry to disrupt the zone, so we ended up slow and stagnant, and kicking to a contest.

WW also picked up on it - we get lauded for how well we switch the play, but we're becoming too predictable with it, if you watch Brisbane on the weekend, any time we started to kick backwards, their players would start breaking for the opposite side of the ground - too predictable.

Foot skills were terrible, as were the hands; too many turnovers, too many kicks to a disadvantaged contest, too many handballs to a player under the gun. I think we still have a problem with kicking to high and slow - very few of our passes seem to be flat and hard, in front of the player.

Also agree that our side looked a little too tall on the weekend - Bass/Bock/Truck/Stevo are probably one too many talls for the backline, and with Gill in it means we obviously lost Mackay; when I think we could've done with another quick mid on the weekend.

We looked absolutely knackered - the mid-season break couldn't come at a better time.

We can't rely on Burton to take a freakish mark every single time we kick it forward to him. He did a few of his old-fashioned brain explosion things on the weekend, but I think it was due to the fact he thought he needed to make something happen.

Doughty and Shirley were fantastic. Really, really fantastic.

When Maric went down, we got flogged - there were a number of ruck contests where we had Stevens in the ruck; and I think a couple of them might have resulted in the 2-3 quick goals the Lions banged on to break the game apart.

On a side note - I can see how frustrating it must be for opposition supporters to come to Footy Park - the Brisbane supporters were all pretty decent, but it definitely seemed like the Lions got the 50/50 calls going their way, while we had them going against us. Also, lots of Brisbane supporters, while they were nice people, have no idea about the rules of the game.

I'm backing TheLeftFist; we are capable of being a top 4 side. We've still got a make-shift forward line, and we've had Bass, Edwards, Macca and Goody down on form, but we are still in fifth place. If we can get it all to click, we're a top 4 side. We need to get our balls back though, and start playing attacking, fun footy again.

We should've beaten the Bulldogs. The Hawks smashed us the first time, we should've beaten them last week. We played like absolute shit last night, and we lost by two goals. If the team is demanding anything less than a top 6 finish, then we're being pathetic and giving ourselves an easy out to underperform. I'd be pretty confident that the Crows would believe they are a top 4 team - and we should be.

The way we develop our youth should mean we aren't as susceptible to the massive ups and downs that some clubs are - most of our kids are experienced, capable players, who've proven such for extended periods in the SANFL.

Also very happy with Craig's response to the loss - took ownership and acknowledged changes need to be made in our current style of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts On The Brisbane Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back