Thurley quits Cats, North interested

Remove this Banner Ad

Ordinary footballer.

Cam is not an ordinary footballer, but he certainly isn't an afl star. A good ball reader with pace who can kick goals, but is very lighty built. Similar to Turtle but doesn't have turtles speed but is a much better kick. Can't really see what he would offer us other than another list player. Would play every game for a Hawthorn, Carlton etc. and would kick probably 20 goals for the year.

gokangas said:
He is one of those players I don't really have an opinion about. Trust the club's judgement for mine.

Always trust the fans. They think he is ordinary. He just got delisted.

No good.

NorthBhoy said:
Always trust the fans. They think he is ordinary. He just got delisted.

No good.
Trust Geelong fans? I wouldn't trust them with anything, however I think they may have it right this time. There was a reason he wasn't drafted as a 17/18 year old and at 24 is still yet to cement himself in the AFL. I'm all for getting someone in to put some pressure on Harding, but this guy is not it.

year of the roo said:
Trust Geelong fans? I wouldn't trust them with anything, however I think they may have it right this time. There was a reason he wasn't drafted as a 17/18 year old and at 24 is still yet to cement himself in the AFL. I'm all for getting someone in to put some pressure on Harding, but this guy is not it.

Geelong has done a lot better out of ex-North players then we have with ex-Cats. (McGrath, Sholl, Pickering, Tudor, Steele v Colbert). Is Thurley a past Tassie Devil from the VFL? If so, he is the sort of bloke who only gets a few touches a game and spends a lot of time on the bench.

IMO he is nothing to get particularly excited about. Back to the apple isle where he can play on the opposite flank to Ben Beams.

NorthBhoy said:
Always trust the fans. They think he is ordinary. .

On the Geelong board they seem to rate him and just think he was held back by the fact that the Cats have so many good small forwards (which they do)

Number Eleven said:
He weighs 76 kilos for a 24 year old?

Not for mine.

He put on 6 kgs when he came to the club, got Scarlet Fever and lost it all again.

I wanted to pick him up before we had drafted him, using 22 was a ******** up though.

He is similiar to Harding in that he lives off his finishing skills, while Harding lives off his pace, both have big weaknesses in their game and both will play their fair share of shockers.

Someone has obviously offered him a deal for him to reject our 1 year contract.

pooley said:
Geelong has done a lot better out of ex-North players then we have with ex-Cats. (McGrath, Sholl, Pickering, Tudor, Steele v Colbert). Is Thurley a past Tassie Devil from the VFL? If so, he is the sort of bloke who only gets a few touches a game and spends a lot of time on the bench.

IMO he is nothing to get particularly excited about. Back to the apple isle where he can play on the opposite flank to Ben Beams.

I hope you're not having a go at Leigh Colbert. He was a lot more influential for us on and off the field than any of those other guys would have been had they stayed.

Other ex- Cats: John Mossop was ordinary, but Robert Scott was pretty good for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Reliable said:
I hope you're not having a go at Leigh Colbert. He was a lot more influential for us on and off the field than any of those other guys would have been had they stayed.

Other ex- Cats: John Mossop was ordinary, but Robert Scott was pretty good for us.
Yet he did not mention current Cats Mooney or Kingsley. No disrespect at all to Colby, but it is pretty hard to argue that we have done better with ex-Cats than they have done with ex-Roos.

year of the roo said:
Yet he did not mention current Cats Mooney or Kingsley. No disrespect at all to Colby, but it is pretty hard to argue that we have done better with ex-Cats than they have done with ex-Roos.

Indeed, i think that was the point he was trying to make, and i have to agree with him, as good as Colby was our team, no-one, other than Carey, is better then 5 good players.

year of the roo said:
No disrespect at all to Colby, but it is pretty hard to argue that we have done better with ex-Cats than they have done with ex-Roos.

Marty Christiansen was another who did zilch.

Phil Baker and Doug Wade were alright though, and Johnny Burns did nothing for them when he went there.

It evens out over time, although the trade we did where we gave up Steele, Pickering and Tudor for pick 125 was a bit dusty.

year of the roo said:

Who's arguing that, YOTR? There's been more ex-Roos for starters.

I'm simply pointing out that Leigh Colbert was a player and person of the highest quality and Robert Scott had a good second career at North and played in a premiership side (as a valued member), which none of those ex-Roos can boast in regard to their careers as Cats.

I also mentioned Mossop in support of pooley's statement.

Mr Reliable said:
Who's arguing that, YOTR? There's been more ex-Roos for starters.

I'm simply pointing out that Leigh Colbert was a player and person of the highest quality and Robert Scott had a good second career at North and played in a premiership side (as a valued member), which none of those ex-Roos can boast in regard to their careers as Cats.

I also mentioned Mossop in support of pooley's statement.
I was just pointing out that he had neglected to mention Mooney and Kingsley in his list of players who had done well at Geelong after leaving North, which would give his argument more strength. I wasn't disputing what you said.

wouldnt mind having a look at Luke Peel who got delisted from the power as a possible rookie or late pick? Originally from Vic and dont know how he fared over in S.A but maybe he was just homesick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thurley quits Cats, North interested

Remove this Banner Ad

Back