Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Side By Side......live in the recliner.
Pfffttt....not sure I’m the only one who wondered at his actions.
In fact, maybe you need to read this thread to see I’m not on an island.
You’re a funny beast CFC.
Side by side, it’s not really a notion you exhibit in the majority of your posts. Yet you want to apply it to others?
As I said, strange beast.

Side By Side......live in the recliner.
I see now that our oval shape ball has became round by others who knew where it was going. We are getting silly beyond belief. And 50 odd replays.
At the time in my recliner l thought he was right to have a go at it.
Your take on it live at the ground, is spot on.

Pfffttt....not sure I’m the only one who wondered at his actions.
In fact, maybe you need to read this thread to see I’m not on an island.
You’re a funny beast CFC.
Side by side, it’s not really a notion you exhibit in the majority of your posts. Yet you want to apply it to others?
As I said, strange beast.

Never said I was normal but I am human and more than happy to say sorry when I am wrong.

I see now that our oval shape ball has became round by others who knew where it was going. We are getting silly beyond belief. And 50 odd replays.
Certainly a 50/50 decision to be made.
By the view in the recliners, by the view in the crowd, and only a very few (mostly oppo supporters) were close to the incident, there are differing opinions.
From my recliner, he was a metre from the ball which was heading to goal.
From his point of view, which none of us had, he thought he was closer, Shaw was closer, and it was worth a shot.
Bad decision, but who’s to say we wouldn’t have done the same from his viewpoint?
I defend the viewpoint from my recliner, and will continue to do so, especially as the result of that decision was so devastating.
The bad news for CFC and his cohorts, is that I’ll make the same decisions, from the same recliner, maybe with the Home brew this time, vs Carlton.
Side by Side indeed!

I have a lot of time for Broomhead and still think he has more talent than Josh Thomas/Keefe/Oxley who we've carried for years. No reason we can't rookie list him. Would be a better bet than another Josh Smith rookie or Michael Manteit.

It also sends the message that we look after our players so would be better for talent retention and attracting talent. Need any help we can get on that front cause it's definitely not going to be our performances that attract players to want to come to Collingwood!

I think that’s our problem. We carry players far too long. We can’t keep doing it.

I think that’s our problem. We carry players far too long. We can’t keep doing it.
It’s a morality decision. We probably carried Broomy to long before the injury.
But now he has been injured in the service of the club, as I have stated before, it is morally incumbent upon us to give him every opportunity to resurrect his career.

Certainly a 50/50 decision to be made.
By the view in the recliners, by the view in the crowd, and only a very few (mostly oppo supporters) were close to the incident, there are differing opinions.
From my recliner, he was a metre from the ball which was heading to goal.
From his point of view, which none of us had, he thought he was closer, Shaw was closer, and it was worth a shot.
Bad decision, but who’s to say we wouldn’t have done the same from his viewpoint?
I defend the decision from my recliner, and will continue to do so, especially as the result of that decision was so devastating.
The bad news for CFC and his cohorts, is that I’ll make the same decisions, from the same recliner, maybe with the Home brew this time, vs Carlton.
Side by Side indeed!
He had a split decision to make, oval ball bounce anywhere. He made it. Most of us would have the same decision at the time, and many have and not been injured in any way. No thought for himself, just playing the ball
Accidents happen

It’s a morality decision. We probably carried Broomy to long before the injury.
But now he has been injured in the service of the club, as I have stated before, it is morally incumbent upon us to give him every opportunity to resurrect his career.
I disagree. As you stated we probably carried him too long. Just because he got injured doesn’t mean we, as a club have a moral obligation to keep him on. We can support him though rehab, however, he gets a new contract based upon what he has done on the field. At this stage, he hasn’t really done anything. He has had opportunities but has failed to be a regular 22.

I disagree. As you stated we probably carried him too long. Just because he got injured doesn’t mean we, as a club have a moral obligation to keep him on. We can support him though rehab, however, he gets a new contract based upon what he has done on the field. At this stage, he hasn’t really done anything. He has had opportunities but has failed to be a regular 22.
Agree to disagree.
My exposure to local football certainly puts me at odds with “proffesional” football.
We would never cut a player loose and curtail his career after sacrificing his health when wearing our colours.
I’m saddened by the fact that proffesional footy puts the players future behind the morals that I live by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on this, is that Broomhead tried to give the ball extra momentum over the line in case Shaw made up ground to touch it. Heath has a habit of doing that, just ask Saints fans.

Yes I certainly can... but given the trajectory the ball did take...I still can't work out why he swung his leg at it..

Split second decision moving at pace, oval ball, likely wanted to take any chance out of it. Players do it all the time. Reckon the Shaw contact was just enough to shift his trajectory but didn't allow time to recalibrate his objective. Just plain bad luck.

My concern is there's a bit of a trend with Broomy in terms of contact injury. Maybe his body just isn't built for the rigors of AFL. I'd imagine it'll be at least 10-12 weeks before he's remotely ready to start running again, and then it'll take time to recover the muscle wastage before he's close to a VFL return. Might see him back late in the year.

Freak occurrence.

Happened.

No blame to anyone.

Great sadness for such a young man so cruelly injured.

Wish him great health and recovery.

How the future holds for his football, that’s a good while away and the decision will be made.

Until then best of good healing young Tim.

oramIxy.jpg

This is the bit I don't understand. Obviously its a split second decision, but elite athletes make ten thousand of those a game, and this one was truly bizarre. Not only is the ball clearly past the line (or about to cross instantly with its velocity) but Broomheads leg has absolutely no hope of getting ANYWHERE near that and he would certainly have an idea where the ball is and how long his leg is... And then we have the fact he's coming at a post at a hundred miles an hour but still throws his leg out... I don't know. I played sport at a decent level and going for a play like that just screams self sabotage.

When you watch it from the other angle, the ball is clearly over the line before he throws his foot at it.

I’m in N11 and agree 100%.

Hi Neilk,

I am N9.....we are neighbours..........maybe we can catch up at the Hassett Room for a bevvy next time?

Worst injury I have seen LIVE by a Pies player........waiting for him to get the "green whistle" felt like an eternity.

Its well off. ohh an oval shape ball how ever could I judge and read where it's going to bounce after playing this game for all my life.

Majority of the time you know where it's going, especially when its bouncing end over end with pace, when the pace comes off the ball that is when the funny bugger fairys tend to take hold of our "oval ball".

He was a forking mile away from it no matter what fracking angle you viewed it from on TV. At the ground I can understand having a altered view (including Tims view of it) but anyone watching on TV that thought having a crack at a ball already over the line moving with pace and almost 1m from him needs to go to speck savers.

Broomy had a go - and got injured as a result.

If more of our players were as committed to that extent we would be further up the ladder.

To those seeking to diminish his actions . . . I am totally speechless.

It's nothing to do with "diminishing" his actions. It's great he was desperate, but that doesn't stop people viewing it and thinking what the ****s he thinking? when he was no chance, other then breaking his leg by kicking against the ****ing metal post with 1 inch pads.

You guys are cooked, the comments are fair and justified. It is not diminishing his efforts it is more just plain old wtf eye brow raising.

The 3 mates in my lounge room all said the same thing, after the "that would of hurt", "he's broken his leg", came "what the hell was he thinking he was no chance".

Its well off. ohh an oval shape ball how ever could I judge and read where it's going to bounce after playing this game for all my life.

Majority of the time you know where it's going, especially when its bouncing end over end with pace, when the pace comes off the ball that is when the funny bugger fairys tend to take hold of our "oval ball".

He was a forking mile away from it no matter what fracking angle you viewed it from on TV. At the ground I can understand having a altered view (including Tims view of it) but anyone watching on TV that thought having a crack at a ball already over the line moving with pace and almost 1m from him needs to go to speck savers.
So are you the only one to have played the game, sorry l have forgotten that. Must remember next time l to the club house and see all the teams l played in. Split second decision, got it wrong, like you never have.
How many replay’s did it take you to see that. Gee you write some

Last edited:
He had a split decision to make, oval ball bounce anywhere. He made it. Most of us would have the same decision at the time, and many have and not been injured in any way. No thought for himself, just playing the ball
Accidents happen

That's ridiculous, there are ways to tell where the ball is going 9/10 times even our "oval ball".

Once in a blue moon you may get nut megged by a double back or erratic bounce. Usually the ball has the pace off it when these occur and bouncing erratically in these cases or the pace right off an end over end will *hi bounce* and double back on the point.
Broomheads ball was still moving very quickly with all momentum forwards, the ball was already in end over end momentum (Ie he there was no back spin on it for it to double back, it wasn't a slow bobbling ball bouncing frenetically either).

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back