Tim Kelly - Requests Trade to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our draft picks in the 20-30 range in the past ~10 years...that is not the best strike rate overall.

At the end of 2009 we took Weedon and Stevens with picks 22 and 23. Would I trade Weedon and Stevens for Tim Kelly?

Yes, yes I would.
A lot has changed in the last 10 years though. I don't really get why people bring up old draft failures to make a point about what the club should do now.

Last year, with a shiny new list manager, we drafted O Allen, Ryan and Petrucelle in the 20s using the picks we stole from Gold Coast. Fair effort I reckon, covers a lot of bases.

Edit: Petch at 38, not in the 20s.

Last edited:
A lot has changed in the last 10 years though. I don't really get why people bring up old draft failures to make a point about what the club should do now.

Last year, with a shiny new list manager, we drafted O Allen, Ryan and Petrucelle in the 20s using the picks we stole from Gold Coast. Fair effort I reckon, covers a lot of bases.

Conversely, it's also a bit weird to dismiss 10 years of history and statistics on the basis of one draft crop which is yet to even prove itself. I'm similarly bullish on last year's draft, but to ignore poor drafts and promote good ones is obviously illogical. I don't think drafting has had this incredible change over just a few years where every pick in the 20s is amazing now.

upload_2018-10-9_12-49-4.png

2015 crop (perhaps the most recent we can start to make assertions about); plenty of average players in that bunch

Is Kelly definitely preferable to just using pick 13 (assuming we can get it from the Swans)? I want Kelly but pick 13 is pretty juicy too.

Conversely, it's also a bit weird to dismiss 10 years of history and statistics on the basis of one draft crop which is yet to even prove itself. I'm similarly bullish on last year's draft, but to ignore poor drafts and promote good ones is obviously illogical. I don't think drafting has had this incredible change over just a few years where every pick in the 20s is amazing now.

View attachment 571071

2015 crop (perhaps the most recent we can start to make assertions about); plenty of average players in that bunch
Thats 2015 draft wasnt real flash, but we got Premiership hero Tommy Cole from it :), not to mention Matty Allen who could be a real find.

We're in our Premiership Window - Rude not to get a player who will immediately make us even better.

Tim Kelly is a must if available. I wouldn't trade away both Pick 20 + 22 just to get him. Only one of those picks or our First in 2019.

Tim Kelly and Gaff on the wings. It's a dream come true!

C: Kelly Yeo Gaff = SEX

Is Kelly really worth a top-10 pick?
95ee7411ea4c69ccff869bd71e17bfa0

Ben Broad
GEELONG great Jimmy Bartel has tempered his former club's expectations over what it might receive should star first-year midfielder Tim Kelly leave for WA.

Kelly is seeking a trade back home, his manager saying he will only join West Coast.
Speaking on Tuesday, Bartel said he believed Kelly was worthy of a first-round pick but not necessarily inside the top 10 – as the Cats have stated.
"He's not an All-Australian," Bartel said.
"He was surrounded by a fantastic midfield at Geelong. I keep backing over it, he had a fantastic year but West Coast or Freo – whoever it may be – that will be their counter argument."
Bartel said he was being "really picky" but told Trade Radio he thought there were areas Kelly needed to improve.
"I thought he was absolutely fantastic (but) I think he can tidy up still a little bit of his field kicking," he said.
"I think, under pressure at times, it escaped him. I saw in different games throughout the year. His defensive transition (could also improve), if he can get back to half-back and join in that way (it'd improve him) because he's unbelievably explosive going forward.
"Again, he's a very good player that you're getting but I think (a pick) between 10 and 20 is appropriate."

Is Kelly really worth a top-10 pick?
95ee7411ea4c69ccff869bd71e17bfa0

Ben Broad
GEELONG great Jimmy Bartel has tempered his former club's expectations over what it might receive should star first-year midfielder Tim Kelly leave for WA.

Kelly is seeking a trade back home, his manager saying he will only join West Coast.
Speaking on Tuesday, Bartel said he believed Kelly was worthy of a first-round pick but not necessarily inside the top 10 – as the Cats have stated.
"He's not an All-Australian," Bartel said.
"He was surrounded by a fantastic midfield at Geelong. I keep backing over it, he had a fantastic year but West Coast or Freo – whoever it may be – that will be their counter argument."
Bartel said he was being "really picky" but told Trade Radio he thought there were areas Kelly needed to improve.
"I thought he was absolutely fantastic (but) I think he can tidy up still a little bit of his field kicking," he said.
"I think, under pressure at times, it escaped him. I saw in different games throughout the year. His defensive transition (could also improve), if he can get back to half-back and join in that way (it'd improve him) because he's unbelievably explosive going forward.
"Again, he's a very good player that you're getting but I think (a pick) between 10 and 20 is appropriate."
I knew there was a reason I never hated Bartel, the man speaks some sense.

Who gives a toss if cats ask for top 10. We are premiers, we don't need to be desperate specially with Gaff staying. Kelly is coming to Eagles either next year or the year after. Give them 20 plus compo for Kelly and dengerfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're in our Premiership Window - Rude not to get a player who will immediately make us even better.

Tim Kelly is a must if available. I wouldn't trade away both Pick 20 + 22 just to get him. Only one of those picks or our First in 2019.
That's unlikely to cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back