News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't players going to WA have to be Covid free?

Yes, of course. The number of cases coming out of Vic is a huge concern. There was even a covid scare at marvel yesterday, as I am sure you are aware.

I won't be surprised if a player in Victoria catches it between now and Vexit.

Some people are downplaying the risk. If there was no risk, SA/QLD would not have taken the actions that they have taken in the last week.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't happen, just that the risk is higher now than when the WA hub was announced just last week.

Yes, of course. The number of cases coming out of Vic is a huge concern. There was even a covid scare at marvel yesterday, as I am sure you are aware.

I won't be surprised if a player in Victoria catches it between now and Vexit.

Some people are downplaying the risk. If there was no risk, SA/QLD would not have taken the actions that they have taken in the last week.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't happen, just that the risk is higher now than when the WA hub was announced just last week.
Could they shut down the footy for a couple of weeks and quarantine the Vics before they start the hubs.

The AFL have a problem, the fixture for Rd 6 is now actually impossible, as it currently stands.

These are the only options for an opponent in the hub for both Port and Fremantle for Rd 6:
Port vs Sydney (GC)
Fremantle vs Sydney (GC)

Now the way around this, is that one of Port or Freo have to move out of the hub (out of qld) and play a Vic team in NSW.

Port at the moment fly in and out of Adelaide for their hub games but if they play a Vic team they can’t do that anymore, so this curveball today has put that in jeopardy and I don’t think they’d be keen to do that.

So it must be Freo to play a vic team in NSW, but there might be a chance the WA Premier also wouldn’t want Freo playing a Vic team before returning. If that’s the case then the AFL is screwed and we’ll be pausing the season

Last edited:
The AFL have a problem, the fixture for Rd 6 is now actually impossible, as it currently stands.

These are the only option for an opponent in the hub for both Port and Fremantle for Rd 6:
Port vs Sydney (GC)
Fremantle vs Sydney (GC)

Now the way around this, is that one of Port or Freo have to move out of the hub (out of qld) and play a Vic team in NSW.

Port at the moment fly in and out of Adelaide for their hub games but if they play a Vic team they can’t do that anymore, so this curveball today has put that in jeopardy and I don’t think they’d be keen to do that.

So it must be Freo to play a vic team in NSW, but there might be a chance the WA Premier also wouldn’t want Freo playing a Vic team before returning. If that’s the case then the AFL is screwed and we’ll be pausing the season

Port isn't going home.

SA Govt want FIFO once teams have been out of Victoria for 14 days.

Maybe the different states need to understand that Victorian players are subject to stricter rules compared to the general public. It's not like the players are swimming in COVID. They're tested very regularly.

I don't see why having GWS play Hawthorn should impact GWS' ability to play Port the following round.

These are the only options for an opponent in the hub for both Port and Fremantle for Rd 6:
Port vs Sydney (GC)
Fremantle vs Sydney (GC)

What you say is correct, but this is why I believe it has been mentioned that not all teams will get to play each other once like they originally planned and there might be some double ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Wallis has a newborn that is about a week old. No one can expect him to pack up across the other side of the state for 3 months and leave his partner and baby at home.

No one should begrudge someone for doing that. Of course his pay should be heavily reduced whilst this happens.

What needs clarification is whether they'll allow vic clubs in SA via hubs elsewhere I mean it would be ridiculous if not.
Yep, surely after spending effectively their 2 weeks of quarantine in another state and having been tested 4 times during that period they are no threat to the public health of SA residents? Do they want the AO to sit there empty all season despite saying it can now hold half capacity?

Yep, surely after spending effectively their 2 weeks of quarantine in another state and having been tested 4 times during that period they are no threat to the public health of SA residents? Do they want the AO to sit there empty all season despite saying it can now hold half capacity?
It sounds like VIC clubs will be allowed to FIFO into Adelaide after spending two weeks quarantined in NSW/QLD/WA?

Honestly this makes no sense from your government at the moment, this is bizarre

Mitch Wallis has a newborn that is about a week old. No one can expect him to pack up across the other side of the state for 3 months and leave his partner and baby at home.

No one should begrudge someone for doing that. Of course his pay should be heavily reduced whilst this happens.
Take wife and baby with him.

It sounds like VIC clubs will be allowed to FIFO into Adelaide after spending two weeks quarantined in NSW/QLD/WA?

Honestly this makes no sense from your government at the moment, this is bizarre
Yep it sounds like that is the case, basically forces our teams into an extra week on the road and then from round 8 we can play Vic teams here, which will be the only teams left for us to play!

Plenty of SA and WA team players are in the same situation. Tim Kelly as an example took all his kids and the wife to the Gold Coast to solve the problem.

I also don't begrudge a Victorian player for opting to stay home but a fair few WC supporters (as an example) still hold a bee in their bonnets about the criticism that Simmo copped for complaining about the uncertainty of the hub especially for players with families.

Interesting development starting some teams in Brisbane. They will have to quarantine. If they go to Perth that means two quarantine periods.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back