Time the Roos moved North - Age 12/3/06

Remove this Banner Ad

The Zebra said:
It may seem like no big deal - Carrara, Canberra - what's the difference? It is only 3 games. When it is presented in a nice article talking about multi-milion dollar facilities (wouldn't we only be using these facilities for our recovery 3 times a year Caroline?) and financial strength to match on field strength - it could almost sound tempting.

But ******** that. Carrara is relocation. It is ********ing relocation - no doubt.

If they want to relocate us, let them drag us kicking and ********ing screaming.

Don't fall for it.

Spot on. The AFL would be looking to have the first club that gets sucked into playing games at Carrara, relocating there within 10 years.

To me this is totally different to what we are negotiating with Canberra, I don't see a club being based there permanently, so if we can get the ACT to match what we will get at Carrara, its a no-brainer.

And I am sick to death of us being nomads.

I am not advocating moving anywhere - I am as passionate a supporter as anyone on the board.

But when will the club ever be able to establish a sound funding base? Many have tried - all have failed. This crap will come up every year because we are so vulnerable.

In answer to my own question let me put my explanation.

The Kangaroos do have a sustainable base as we are part of the 16 teams that the AFL needs for the next 6 years to sell the TV rights for mega millions. We are just as important as any other team as there has to be 8 games a week to meet the AFL's contractual needs.

Where there's smoke, there's more often than not some fire to go with it! the wagon trains are a circlin' and we're gone (but never forgotten)

Duff is grand standing with the "we want more money from Canberra." It's looking like Carrara all the way

He's doing what QANTAS did last week. We're shipping jobs off to China (insert outcry here) Oh, ok we'll sack our Sydney staff and get things tranferred to Avalon. (what they wanted in the first place, how quick was the fold. disgraceful)

can you imagine stepping onto a plane maintained in China? Ever bought an article of clothing manufactured in China? One size fits no-one, falls apart after the first wash.

Canberra wont match the Carrara money. Ok see you in QLD says Duff

Carrara Kangaroos + Brisbane Lions in QLD

Wetern (Suburbs) Bulldogs + Syd Swans in NSW (Seen that news?)

Adelaide + Port in SA

Weagles + Dockers in WA

The rest of them in VIC. maybe Hawthorn in TAS

Andy Demetriou is cracking a fat just thinking about it (pardon my French, ladies)

If we are exiled to QLD I'd rather what happened to South than Fitzroy :mad:

And if anyone thinks that supporters being passionatley against relocation is going to make a difference, tell them "they're dreamin"

scary news from Arden
Then about 10 minutes later I bumped into Kingy who was here with the Tiggers, and asked him when he was going back to North, and he replied, "when they come up here". I don't know if it was a throw-away line or not, but I felt sick hearing this on top of the other news.

I don't think North will ever leave Melbourne, I think that we may end up playing more games away from Melbourne.

Yeah, it is not desirable but if we don't start making significant ground in terms of membership then the club will have to find ways to make more money. The future of the club is up to the supporters, either they commit to the club and get memberships or else at some point in time the club will have to look at other options and that other option is to go where they may develop greater support, if that does happen then the only ones to blame are the supporter base that does not support the club by getting membership tickets.

The AFL want a club on the Gold Coast.

Whoever is the first to play a bunch of games there will be there, for good, in 5 years without doubt.

Upgrade Arden Street, sign the Canberra agreement and lock away the current arrangements for 5 years.

And yes, for those who were a little perplexed by the severity of my first post in this thread, I did misread the article this morning (although the bit that only reffered to a few games rather than a FT relocation was tiny and easy to miss).

But writing an article on our behalf? Risking the clubs heritage to get a new weights room?

The patronising nature of that drivel is the thing that really gets me going.

Go on, uproot the club. It's for your own good North.

Get *******.

I thought she'd stay happily focused on Carlton for a while yet.

I have such mixed feelings about this article. As choppy says, she is right about the club deserving better than the constant second-best everything, uncertainty, begging bowl mentality we are still in, Canberra or no Canberra. If they play home games out of Melbourne, it doesnt matter to me where they are played - they should go where they can best the best deal and the most support (including pressure for TV coverage) from the AFL.

My problems with the Carrara option are:

1) it looks like we can't commit to anything, with the Sydney debacle, then Canberra, then this. If it doesn't work well, what then? And how long do the AFL/people up there give us to prove we are REALLY serious about sticking it out this time? It might have much more chance of success than either Sydney or Canberra for all the reasons she gives, but - if it failed, we'd be worse off than now.

2) With the AFL's longterm goals, if it does work well it will just get more permanent, more home there and less in Melbourne. So if it succeeds, that would be great for the club and the AFL, but not great for me and Melbourne supporters.

3) With the extra distance and heat, it would have to be at least a bit harder for the team to keep performing. If so, ultimately something would have to give, and again we would be heading to being based more regularly up there.

4) It stinks to convince our Canberra members to join up, we are staying for the long haul, and then change our minds.

I hate all those ideas. But I also hate the constant, aching worry that my club will stop existing in my lifetime or my sons'. If it's not merge or fold, I'll trust the board.

It's not even a decision.

RooVegas said:
I think from memory we've got a nice little bit of existing support in Hobart (and Launceston's where Hawks play anyway, isn't it?).
The Tasmanian government won't play football games in Hobart period.

I think something like 60 or so % of our 3,500 or so members we are hoping to sign this season hail from the South.

Better off staying in Canberra, Carrara or playing home games at the Adelaide Oval IMO.

Tas said:
I don't think North will ever leave Melbourne, I think that we may end up playing more games away from Melbourne.

Yeah, it is not desirable but if we don't start making significant ground in terms of membership then the club will have to find ways to make more money. The future of the club is up to the supporters, either they commit to the club and get memberships or else at some point in time the club will have to look at other options and that other option is to go where they may develop greater support, if that does happen then the only ones to blame are the supporter base that does not support the club by getting membership tickets.

as always tas right on the money, the club has given 100% and in my mind been if not the most, one of the most successful clubs in the past 30 yrs.

1975-2005 4 premiershios, countless finals, brownlow medals, night finals, club legends. need i go on.?

and for what? a struggling membership, a bunch of closet supporters that we all know a few o. they love to brag about the club in its hey day but wouldnt put a brass razoo towards the club. theyll all cry the day and if we die:mad: but wont faulk out a membership for yr.

north melbourne= too much done by so few. and doing it bloody well.

NorthBhoy said:
I genuinely can't believe what I am reading.

Don't have time to go into it right now, but as soon as passionate supporters start folding the club will die.

And moving to freaking Queensland is death.

Unbelievable.
Couldn't agree more!
WTF????
This thread is the most depressing thread I've read since posting on Big Footy. It has nothing to do with what she wrote. It's the idiots on this site that have totally lost the plot.
Footy means a great deal to all of us. Losing my club would be akeen to losing a loved one to me. And Queensland is DEATH as far as I am concerned.
All this "let's do it on our terms rubbish" is probably simptomatic of where we are at.
If our own supporters are capable of writing this kind of rubbish then we don't deserve to play AFL.
End of story.

NorthBhoy said:
The AFL want a club on the Gold Coast.

If Carrara was such a great place for an AFL club on a permanent basis, what the hell are the Lions doing at the Gabba? Does no-one actually remember that football has been tried and failed on the Gold Coast? 3 games for $400K per is one thing, but a relocation will not happen.

Besides, Andy D can't even get AFL on FTA TV in Sydney and Brisbane. His vision of a game every week in those cities is wishful thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NorthBhoy said:

Go on, uproot the club. It's for your own good North.

Get *******.

Like it not, when the clubs administration turned its back on its Melbourne based supporters, moved to Sydney/Canberra and renamed us Kangaroos the club was uprooted.

Its either one or the other. Return everything to Melbourne, including the name or prostitue the club interstate. If the club continues to play home games interstate its a choice b/w Canberra and the Gold Coast.

Canberra is a backward hovell populated by tax payer funded tree hugging leftist buerecrats located in a Ballaratesque climate.

Night games televised live into Melbourne from Carrara on appropriate nights and days would bring real money.

Playing games against Port on a Sunday in 8 degrees in front of 8,000 people is a joke both financially and to the brand.

mighty mick said:
as always tas right on the money, the club has given 100% and in my mind been if not the most, one of the most successful clubs in the past 30 yrs.

1975-2005 4 premiershios, countless finals, brownlow medals, night finals, club legends. need i go on.?

and for what? a struggling membership, a bunch of closet supporters that we all know a few o. they love to brag about the club in its hey day but wouldnt put a brass razoo towards the club. theyll all cry the day and if we die:mad: but wont faulk out a membership for yr.

north melbourne= too much done by so few. and doing it bloody well.

Well thats reality, some people fork out money because of love, other fork out money if they get a return. 8 games and ********all else is not a return on a membership to a lot of people.

Good company's don't blame the customer, they give the customer what they want.

choppy said:
Its either one or the other. Return everything to Melbourne, including the name or prostitue the club interstate.

This is a silly statement choppy.
I can live with 3 games in Canberra if it insures our survival, and I don't see how that amounts to prostitution. 3 games I can live with, and it's clear that our administration isn't considering relocation just by looking at the plans for Arden St upgrade.

The statements by some here that this is a waste of money are buffling at best.

One thing I agree with though, purely to bring some peace to us all, they should change the name back to North Melbourne. This will put an end to relocation talk, and will put the likes of Dwayne Russell back into their place. Otherwise we leave ourselves open to this kind of rubbish.

C'mon Duffman - make this move and finish this speculation once and for all. It will also allow the club to be more flexible if it does want to play 3 games at Carrara instead of Canberra.

It would be hard to point a finger at us as a relocation candidate if we upgraded Arden St and changed the name back to North Melbourne.

vlad76 said:
Couldn't agree more!
WTF????
This thread is the most depressing thread I've read since posting on Big Footy. It has nothing to do with what she wrote. It's the idiots on this site that have totally lost the plot.
Footy means a great deal to all of us. Losing my club would be akeen to losing a loved one to me. And Queensland is DEATH as far as I am concerned.
All this "let's do it on our terms rubbish" is probably simptomatic of where we are at.
If our own supporters are capable of writing this kind of rubbish then we don't deserve to play AFL.
End of story.

Obviously never lost a loved one, stupid bloody comment, I'd personally burn down arden st if it was a choice.

Personally I'm beginning to wonder what the big deal about relocation is about. I'm sure as hell convinced that all those Lions and Swans fans didn't give a rats arse where their club trained/played when they were sitting at the G in September.

Give me a 12 game Melbourne based membership and a blue and white striped jumper, as for the rest I couldn't really give a clacker if they do their weights in New Delhi and play 4 home games in Baghdad.

choppy said:
Obviously never lost a loved one, stupid bloody comment, I'd personally burn down arden st if it was a choice.

As a matter of fact I have. I don't want to get personal here - as it would defeat the purpose. Name calling isn't what this board is all about.

But what I will say is that if you decide not to buy your membership this season (assuming you have been a member in the past) somehow I don't reckon this club will lose too much.

I am happy to donate the money we will lose on this one.

This is a passionate subject and the arguments depend on whether you talk with your heart or your head.

My heart says we should never move from our spiritual home. I love the place, I love the club.

My head says we are still broke and cannot ever make enough money to survive in our own right without some sort of change to where we play.

Look at the quality of leadership we have had and the Kangaroos that have gone on to bigger and better things. Quality people have not been able to solve our financial problems. Something has to give to make sure we are here for the long run.

The next five years are guaranteed thanks to the TV rights. Thats how long we have to get our act together as there is no guarantee the big money continues next time around.

The Duffman looms as our hero but he is coming off a base of financial failure that other greats have not been able to remedy.

I want more home games, a quality home base at Arden St, enough members to provide a sustainable funding base for the club etc etc etc. Can it ever happen?

This is noting to do with being a mod, just a natural wish to keep peace - I doubt anyone on this board, let alone this thread, is even thinking of leaving the club, or not being a member this year (or any year). We are all long time members, here for the long haul. This is a hugely emotional issue, and it's bringing all our passion to the surface, but I hope we keep remembering we do all share that passion for the club and its longterm future.

Hearts to hearts said:
I hope we keep remembering we do all share that passion for the club and its longterm future.

By reading some of the crap posted in this thread - I seriously doubt that.

Well put, Go Kangas.
I'd reckon there would be universal agreement on this topic if all we were doing was speaking from our hearts. We all love North Melbourne, and Arden Street.
But I've supported the club's move towards the "Kangaroos" brand and to expanding our membership by playing some home games in a second base because my head tells me that there'll be nothing left for the heart if we don't.

By the way those people who are dreamingly looking to Graham Duff to somehow be the new saviour of the club by pulling rabbits out of his hat and multi-million dollar deals to get us into the papers all the time and registering big profits are being unrealistic.

It would not matter who you put in charge of North as we have some inherent growth limitations - the main one being generational disadvantage. GD needs to play smart, work with the AFL and set realistic growth targets. Kind of what we have been doing for the last few years more or less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Time the Roos moved North - Age 12/3/06

Remove this Banner Ad

Back