Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I still can't believe some West Coast supporters think pick 14 (and decent change) is 'lowballing' for a 29 year old key defender who is good but not great (0 AA's).

Name any 29+ year old that has been traded for better pick than 14?

Or (as I said in the other thread) look at the other players that were traded for around the same.

23 year old Tom Mitchell was traded for pick 14
23 year old Charlie Cameron was traded for pick 12
24 year old Jordan Dawson was traded for an F1 of the reigning premiers (so approximately pick 18).

West Coast fans are essentially suggesting a 29 year old Barrass is worth substantially more than those guys (I'm not cherry picking either, these are the players I've found from the last 8 or so years that have been traded for a single pick in the teens).

Make it make sense.
Easy.

None of those players you mentioned are Key Postion.

Key position players don’t grow on trees, and good ones are worth their weight in gold.

I still can't believe some West Coast supporters think pick 14 (and decent change) is 'lowballing' for a 29 year old key defender who is good but not great (0 AA's).

Name any 29+ year old that has been traded for better pick than 14?

Or (as I said in the other thread) look at the other players that were traded for around the same.

23 year old Tom Mitchell was traded for pick 14
23 year old Charlie Cameron was traded for pick 12
24 year old Jordan Dawson was traded for an F1 of the reigning premiers (so approximately pick 18).

West Coast fans are essentially suggesting a 29 year old Barrass is worth substantially more than those guys (I'm not cherry picking either, these are the players I've found from the last 8 or so years that have been traded for a single pick in the teens).

Make it make sense.
West coast value Barrass higher than what Hawthorn decided to offer. It's as simple as that.

I was referring to this years draft being strong and the amount of academy kids or f/s champ
Champing someone because you’re unable to properly articulate is hilarious

You said the state of the draft, clearly insinuating and stating in another post how many academies and how weak the 2025 draft was. Which I said is silly because you can’t say it 12 months out.

Carlton traded in for a better chance to get Houston, bettering their position.

The deal will get done, and it will be less than West Coast fans here are expecting. End of story.

Its a relative value.
If you have pick 1 but the best 5 kids are all academy kids, your pick is worth less as you arent getting the best kid in the country
Yes but thats the case this year, it’s often the case each year with the current rules. With new rules coming next year it will better even the relative value of the pick. However the pick position doesn’t change, hence why Hawthorn trading their first out for a similar one in 2025 including adding a second, is superb trading.

The deal will get done, and it will be less than West Coast fans here are expecting. End of story.
Most were expecting a 1st and second and we're fine with that. Hawks wanted to get a 3rd back, which would be close to our second, so pointless for WCE.

Looks like Hawthorn have either traded out of spite, or are working on something else to satisfy WCE.

We just have to wait to see what it is.

Great move by the hawks. The initial trade was fair and Eagles were probably haggling to call a bluff. They weren't bluffing and now know that and will probably get a worse trade out of this now
Contracted player. WCE don't have to accept a trade at all.

West coast value Barrass higher than what Hawthorn decided to offer. It's as simple as that.

West Coast got greedy hearing what Richmond are going to collect for their leaving players.

Now West Coast can take F1 + F2 (which is overs), or they can keep their disgruntled player, whilst also robbing their list of another young talent it so desperately needs, with Tasmania looming.

West Coast have valued keeping TB higher than rebuilding, which at this stage of their list situation seems a tad risky.

Most were expecting a 1st and second and we're fine with that. Hawks wanted to get a 3rd back, which would be close to our second, so pointless for WCE.

Looks like Hawthorn have either traded out of spite, or are working on something else to satisfy WCE.

We just have to wait to see what it is.
Hawthorn will be only giving up what was Pick 14 of value for them plus maybe change of a 3rd/4th. Which is a great deal, that will look like a future first, future second and maybe some change but maybe not.

This will be less than West Coast fans expected and wanted whilst it’s enough.

Yep. Only the hawks people are pros.

Let’s hope he doesn’t end up in high court like other pros.

I don't think I made that comment at all about only Hawthorn staff being pros.

Weird comment. You've had some real doozies this arvo. Have a bex and a nap gramps.

West Coast got greedy hearing what Richmond are going to collect for their leaving players.

Now West Coast can take F1 + F2 (which is overs), or they can keep their disgruntled player, whilst also robbing their list of another young talent it so desperately needs, with Tasmania looming.

West Coast have valued keeping TB higher than rebuilding, which at this stage of their list situation seems a tad risky.
Wrong.

West Coast value Barrass higher than what Hawthorn were offering.

Pyke said as much on the radio a few weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn will be only giving up what was Pick 14 of value for them plus maybe change of a 3rd/4th. Which is a great deal, that will look like a future first, future second and maybe some change but maybe not.

This will be less than West Coast fans expected and wanted whilst it’s enough.
Clearly it's not enough because WCE didn't do the trade :)

Yes but thats the case this year, it’s often the case each year with the current rules. With new rules coming next year it will better even the relative value of the pick. However the pick position doesn’t change, hence why Hawthorn trading their first out for a similar one in 2025 including adding a second, is superb trading.
There is meant to be more first round academy and f/s kids. Next years draft is 100% a worse draft, if for no other reason than the bs academy kids.
The matching doesnt really affect the first round

Great move by the hawks. The initial trade was fair and Eagles were probably haggling to call a bluff. They weren't bluffing and now know that and will probably get a worse trade out of this now
They could take carltons F2 and death ride the blues to a premiership
Cant see the hawks giving up both F1's

I don't think I made that comment at all about only Hawthorn staff being pros.

Weird comment. You've had some real doozies this arvo. Have a bex and a nap gramps.

Not really. You brought up about being pro. I just continued on.

Looks like Sydney and dogs are chasing gc pick 13. Two clubs that were into barrass before Sam convinced him not to go there. Are they going to be back in I wonder?

For a while some people in the media were speculating about West Coast getting two firsts for Barrass. This was pure speculation and never based on any fact or precedence, but Eagles fans got their hopes up and convinced themselves it was reality. It never was.

Not really. You brought up about being pro. I just continued on.

Looks like Sydney and dogs are chasing gc pick 13. Two clubs that were into barrass before Sam convinced him not to go there. Are they going to be back in I wonder?

I said Mark McKenzie is a pro. I'm not sure how you can extrapolate that information to "Only the hawk people are pros".

It's a bit weird how you are jumping at shadows.

As I said before, have a bex and a lie down.

The deal will get done. We wouldn't have randomly made a trade without any purpose. McKenzie is a very good operator (and let me make this absolutely clear to you, just because I say McKenzie is a very good operator DOESN'T mean other list managers aren't good operators or only Hawthorn list management staff are good operators) and he will get creative to find something that satisfies both parties.

For a while some people in the media were speculating about West Coast getting two firsts for Barrass. This was pure speculation and never based on any fact or precedence, but Eagles fans got their hopes up and convinced themselves it was reality. It never was.
This may come as a big surprise to you but clubs don't base their list management strategy off what plebs in the media say.

It's the other way around.

This may come as a big surprise to you but clubs don't base their list management strategy off what plebs in the media say.

It's the other way around.

Thank you for that incredibly insightful scoop.
Now go and tell the West Coast fans. You know, the people I was referring to.

I said Mark McKenzie is a pro. I'm not sure how you can extrapolate that information to "Only the hawk people are pros".

It's a bit weird how you are jumping at shadows.

As I said before, have a bex and a lie down.

The deal will get done. We wouldn't have randomly made a trade without any purpose. McKenzie is a very good operator (and let me make this absolutely clear to you, just because I say McKenzie is a very good operator DOESN'T mean other list managers aren't good operators or only Hawthorn list management staff are good operators) and he will get creative to find something that satisfies both parties.

Look at your post, and you are accusing me at jumping at shadows.

Yes, we need future 1st for 2025 Warner attack. We all know this was planned. Reckon Richmond will be satisfied with downgrade of 3 for 6, baker and something else. This way we have that extra first for Warner, which freo don’t have.

Now back to slug fest. You guys wooed him so pay up.

There.

Most people said 1st and 2nd was what we were expecting.

Yes, the narrative changed as common sense slowly began to filter through. But that was still "people". As in randoms, like us Not the AFL list managers.

We all have different views and that is what this forum is for. Personally, I thought 14 and F2 for Barrass and F3 was slightly overs but that would be OK for a contracted player. West Coast said no, and now... Who knows what will happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back