Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

If we look like getting less for Barrass than Richmond does for Rioli, it would be a very disappointing outcome.
Same with Houston though, that's a hard benchmark with how GC do business. They are giving up pick 6 and everyone trading a player is going to say "but what about Rioli" and everyone's response is going to be "you can't benchmark against crazy"

Same with Houston though, that's a hard benchmark with how GC do business. They are giving up pick 6 and everyone trading a player is going to say "but what about Rioli" and everyone's response is going to be "you can't benchmark against crazy"
For sure, I get that. But then we may as well offer Barrass + 23 to the Suns for 6 + 12/20 and let Hawthorn get him via Richmond. That's crazy of course but Barrass for Rioli would see a pick swap in the Suns' favour and Richmond would have to settle for Hawthorn's 13 + F2 or come up with something creative like 13, 30 + F1 for Barrass, 21 and 39 or something. Again, it won't happen but it would be more reflective of the respective players' values.

For sure, I get that. But then we may as well offer Barrass + 23 to the Suns for 6 + 12/20 and let Hawthorn get him via Richmond. That's crazy of course but Barrass for Rioli would see a pick swap in the Suns' favour and Richmond would have to settle for Hawthorn's 13 + F2 or come up with something creative like 13, 30 + F1 for Barrass, 21 and 39 or something. Again, it won't happen but it would be more reflective of the respective players' values.
I'm going to be honest, I like to think I'm pretty good at understanding trade suggestions but I'm struggling a bit there I think because you are basically proposing getting other clubs involved where they don't need to be? I can't quite tell haha.

In a vacuum I'd have both similar value to be honest. Both very very good at their role without being the best, Barrass being from WA and extra miles on the legs, older by a 18 months and injury history but a harder position to get quality in. Probably Barrass ahead a little bit but not much.

I thought Jai Serong looked at the level last night for a 21 year old in a big pressure final. Does he ever play as a general / medium defender Hawks fans or purely lock down KPD?
Was ok but Georgiades got off him easily at times

Is there any decent rumours of him being in this deal? Seems like it's about to become very difficult to get into the side even if Sicily goes forward
Nothing decent but rumours of interest from multiple clubs. Seems to be the one clubs think could pop out if we land Battle/Barrass. He holds some value.

It went in there a fair bit and MG would do that to most 21 year old KPDs. I'm not sure he's a gun but there's a decent player in there.
It did but it was just a bit too easy on a couple of occasions. I think he will be decent enough.

I am surprised West Coast aren't trying to add him into the Barrass deal as he would get into their team and would be less of a flight risk with his brother over there

Is there any decent rumours of him being in this deal? Seems like it's about to become very difficult to get into the side even if Sicily goes forward

There are rumours on the Hawks board floating around that he is St Kilda bound.

Possibly for a 2nd rounder so long as Hawks get the Battle offer to band 1 but that seems like conspiracy theory territory.

There are rumours on the Hawks board floating around that he is St Kilda bound.

Possibly for a 2nd rounder so long as Hawks get the Battle offer to band 1 but that seems like conspiracy theory territory.
He's not worth more than a 2nd anyway so I'm definitely putting that in the twitter looney bin.

What last night showed, was that for 3 quarters Hawthorn had no one able to take a contested mark in the forward line. They only had one winner in the forward half for the game, that being a small forward. Sending Sicily forward in the last quarter, changed the dynamic and the forward line began to look more dangerous.

Dear will come back and put on some bulk over the next couple of years and judging by Paul's physique that won't be an issue. Chol, on the other hand, won't be much different, he's a tall non marking forward, the rub that supporters of clubs were he had played said prior to his trade. This was probably, a factor in the re-signing of Gunston for a further year, I have no idea what they were thinking by re-signing Breust, given the small forward options they have.

The other area, they were smacked in last night was the stoppages/midfield. If there was a Mr Men meme, Ward would be known as Mr Fumbles. Worpel also went to water when the pressure came on and was shocking with his hands in close.

To cut this short, Hawthorn has plenty of small forwards; this includes two quality small forwards not getting a look-in currently in Sam Butler and Jack O'Sullivan, that may come under pressure with list decisions. They have plenty of options in the back half, which is only going to be strengthened with the arrival of Battle.

I tend to agree with the GWS poster, in that Tom Barrass is not a need; Hawthorn's priorities should be to obtain a marking KPF and more class in the midfield. If that means going to a strong draft to obtain that then I would prefer that to a 29 year old intercepting backman in Barrass. Especially, given how unreasonable WC posters are in here regarding Barrass' trade value; it is not as if Hawthorn is shopping around a 32 year old Gunston and expecting a first round draft pick.
Marking forward yes we don’t need more class in the midfield we have Day and Mackenzie who didn’t play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My prediction has been 13 and a F2nd for a while. Might not be the deal that gets done though, have a feeling they work together on other deals and try to get a better outcome. Feel Rich/GC negotiations will be a watch based on history and the dusty stuff might add to it.

There is no Dusty stuff from a Richmond point of view , He goes as a FA and Richmond get a token pick in the 50's as compo
The Rioli deal would already have been sorted and pick #6 will be the deal and the only part that probably really will need fine tuning in is his salary. If GC need contribution that would be a separate negotiation

Well in that case so did Dyane Zorko. Tom Mitchell won the brownlow and was traded for a pick in the 40s. So clearly the brownlow has little to do with trade value.

One is 29 with a degenerative back and other is a 24 year old former top ten pick, who given his fitness level will likely be around for another 8 to 9 years.

You clearly are living in some fantasy world. End of story.

Tom Mitchell was a part of the Ollie Henry trade
Not just “a pick in the 40’s”
If you’re going to lie by omission at least pick a better choice which couldn’t be easily refuted lol

Smith didn’t just miss a year with an ACL? We gonna ignore that too?
Bro you’re cooked, Barrass is easily a great defender, Hawks will have to pay up to pry him out lol

That’s how contracts work, when you’re OOC, you lose leverage. Barrass is still contracted thus the price is higher.

Yeah that's some wack ass Poos and Wees logic lol

There is no way in hell Doggies have a better bargaining position for Smith as an OOC player who hasn't played in 12 months and basically wants the place to burn down (his instagram posts have just been...yeah not good lol) over Eagles with Barrass who by and large is a professional.

Barrass is also:

1. A Key Position Defender (key positions are always more valuable)
2. Very Good (good long track record of consistent footy)
3. Contracted (this is a big one)
4. Being offered a 5 Year deal on very good money (Phil Davis said it yesterday on SEN...the most expensive thing to do is drag a player out of another club)

That criteria puts him in the two decent first rounders range.
Smith is more in the 1 decent first rounder and change range.

The team with a contracted player will always have more bargaining power than an uncontracted one.
Never ever heard it differently.
Common sense and logic have no place in this tread, come on mate.

Tom Mitchell was a part of the Ollie Henry trade
Not just “a pick in the 40’s”
If you’re going to lie by omission at least pick a better choice which couldn’t be easily refuted lol

Smith didn’t just miss a year with an ACL? We gonna ignore that too?
Bro you’re cooked, Barrass is easily a great defender, Hawks will have to pay up to pry him out lol

That’s how contracts work, when you’re OOC, you lose leverage. Barrass is still contracted thus the price is higher.

Hawthorn received picks 41 and 50. valueless picks in the scheme of things. Henry went to Geelong, so meaningless to Hawthorn; a strange road to die on in making some nebulous point.

The reality is that Smith is a highly rated, high draft pick midfielder whilst, not without a recent setback. I doubt the bulldogs will be allowing Geelong to rort them at the trade table as they have done in the past going back through Dangerfield, Kelly, Bowes and Ratugolea.

Given I don't want him to leave, more than happy with him staying if it's not 2 first rounds

He's not staying.
And it won't be 2 first rounds.

It will be a first and likely some change that will be haggled over for a few days but I imagine this being done very quickly.

He's not staying.
And it won't be 2 first rounds.

It will be a first and likely some change that will be haggled over for a few days but I imagine this being done very quickly.
If you say so. I guess you'd be right - I would be disappointed if the Eagles let the vice captain with 3 years to run in his contract walk for next to nothing.

If you say so. I guess you'd be right - I would be disappointed if the Eagles let the vice captain with 3 years to run in his contract walk for next to nothing.

Pick 13 for a player you are actively shopping out to rejuvenate your list is hardly next to nothing.

Especially one who is 29 and has a significant injury cloud for the rest of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back